bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i ride some grimey roads and i'm having endless issues with keeping my wheels true - particularly the rear wheel.

the bike i have came with AlexRims which, from what i've been hearing/reading, are nothing but shit

so i've decided it's time to get a good, strong, relatively inexpensive wheelset that can take these roads.

looking at these:

mav_aksium_06_06_m.jpg

Mavic Askium

anybody have any experience with these or recommendations on a wheelset that won't break the bank, and doesn't need to be trued every week?

Mavic Open Pros, Velocity Fusions/Aeroheads are all good. Opt for double butted spokes always, they keep wheels true longer and soak up road vibration. 36 spoke rear and 28 (or less) front also makes a lot of sense for a training wheel, especially if you're knocking it out of true a lot. Depends on your weight too. Remember that 70 percent of the stress is taken by the rear wheel and 30 by the front, or atleast I've heard that somewhere in the past.

Interesting. I think that kid needs a girlfriend.

Mavic Open Pro rims are bomb proof especially with double butted spokes. They don't lace 'em up for the pros come the Spring classics for nothing. If you're looking for something already made then I whole heartedly stand behind the Ritchey Protocol wheelset. I've been riding the same wheelset for two years now and they're still true. I think they retail for about $50 more than the Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels you're looking at.

No matter which way I rode today... south, west, east or north... I had a headwind. I even had a headwind going up hill for four miles. Then a headwind going down the other side. Lovely dry weather with no clouds, and it's fucked by twirling winds. Bahhhh...

Track cranks vary in stiffness but unless you're a sprinter and pushing a big gear, you're probably not going to notice. Pedals make a bigger difference for efficiency. Andel/Radius is making a decently priced crank right now for like 75 for the arms. I'd recommend against the cheaper Sugino RD's as I had them and they gave me a substandard, off chainline with the matching BB. If you want to spend dough and get bling shit, there's Dura Ace, Sugino 75 and Campy as the main choices for quality.

A good chainring is pretty important . Lower quality ones aren't as true and therefore the chain has more 'high' (tight) and 'low' (loose) spots. This is bad for efficiency and also means you can throw a chain easier if the tension is a little loose. Dura Ace and Sugino Zen c-rings are both really nice, and the stock 75 chainring is fine too. FSA makes a good one too.

Chains, meh. I've always ran a KMC Z chain or KMC Kool. Both are under 10 dollars. As long as I clean it w/ Simple Green and lube it with Tri-Flow, it's always silent and efficient.

Cogs are easy. EAI, Dura Ace, Suntour, Phil Wood and Surly are all good. If you're really itching to spend dough and racing, EAI has some higher end cogs as does Sugino.

Bottom bracket is pretty self evident, just get the right taper and length for your crank. Square taper is better for the street, Octalink is better for the track. Looseball is fine if you're 1) track racing 2) don't ride in the rain too much and/or 3) willing to re-grease/replace bearings every once in awhile, or pay a shop to do it.

Biketiresdirect.com

Rubbish... I was mostly on the west side yesterday. Coming home from 185th & T.V. HWY. As I was going along West Union the wind was coming at me from all directions. The worst was having to ride up Thompson with a head wind though... as if it wasn't bad enough that I was riding a 26lb bike and had a backpack full of shit that weighed at least 35lbs. I thought I would get some rest on the descent on Thompson coming into NW 23rd but I was mistaken... headwind all the way down that road. Soon as I got into the city... no wind. Figures, soon as I get minutes from home there's no wind.

Im late on the wheel talk but for some reason noone mentioned it could just be sitting crooked in the dropouts. Just pop the wheel out, but it back in and really make sure its in all the way and not just snagged on the chain.

Also (that bike looks brand new so it shouldn't be this but) check and see if the brake calipers are bent in any way. My shitty tiagra ones actually went crooked after just 4000 miles.

Even shitty wheels shouldnt go out of true like that unless you're 170 pounds, hopping curbs or fishtailing the back wheel.