bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Most fixed gears all come with a pretty similar gear ratio. If you go with the spudnik theres a list of parts you should change out before ever leaving the lbs, rims and the cog are a must. If you have the money or want to sell that fork off for a steel fork, get a better bb and crank too.

TOUR IS ON BITCHES. American coverage sucks balls. Aside from the sites you know of (http://www.velonews.com/vntv/?Art_ID=1055 ) , the BBC newspaper sports section has great written coverage. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/2/hi/uk_news/6280786.stm )

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
thanks again for all the help joker. its going to be a fixed gear for sure, half my problems with my current bike have to do with the gears. in addition to the ones you posted, the bianchi pista and also the jamis sputnik seem like good choices in my price range. i really like the specs and reviews of the sputnik but i think ill have to ride one in person to see if the gear ratio isnt too steep for my hilly city. they seem to be pretty cheap used as well. both sell for under 500$ in good condition.

07_SPUTNIK.jpg

throw some brakes on that bitch.

yeah, nothings worse than seeing the brakeless rider that doesn't know how to stop and busts through the red light at the bottom of the hill / make the emergency right turn to avoid oncoming traffic.

please please please, for everyone's sake keep a damn brake on your fixed gear until you know how to adequetely stop without one on split second reflexes.

hey Joker, you seem to have a pretty solid handle on internet bike sources:

I'm looking to get a s/s mountain (not rigid). i'm contemplating the gary fisher rig. i've got a $2000 budget. i just got moved to the seattle area and the trails here are too enticing for me to limit myself to the roads, i've got to get one... any suggestions on any LBS or online catalogs?

today i won my 4th field sprint of the year...however, like every other one i won, there were people seconds up the road.

i won the velodrome championship last weekend. made some money. now i have to start racing with the 1/2's...

Friday i leave for superweek. 12 hours of straight driving, by myself. I will probably be living with a host family for 2 weeks. I have never traveled alone for this long before, so its going to be very very boring. Hopefully i'll win a race or two and come back with enough upgrade points to end what will be my sort-of third year as a cat3 racer.

Anyone else been racing?

Fist... I'll do some research later tonight and get back to you. Seattle is a good spot for all things two wheels so there should be plenty to go from.

Swedish... First, congrats on the upgrade on the track and your wins!! That's awesome!! My best to you for your race at Superweek. Second... yeah, I've been racing as well but my first year as a cat 3 has been a rude awakening from the cat 4 field. I have really good days and I have incredibly bad days. More of the latter it seems the last few months.

I raced today as well and did some work for a team mate. It was just a silly circuit race but it had a gradual rise up to a gradual hill and after 30 minutes I popped. I pulled several times on the flat section to chase down a break but one of the guys in the break had too many team mates in the field to disrupt any kind of chase. When I popped on the hill... I really popped. Oddly enough I recovered on the downhill and just TT'd it by myself for the next 25 minutes. I ended up catching some guys who also got popped by they had been lapped already. I didn't know the specifics of scoring in a circuit race so I left them behind... well, I thought I did. The eventually caught me on the final lap and sat on my wheel all the way till the last 500 meters and then all three of them sprinted around me. Sprinted... for 20th or whatever.

So, if I got dropped and worked my ass off to not get lapped, but guys who did get lapped sprint to the line in front of me... do they score ahead of me? Or me ahead of them? Not that I should give a fuck about plaing in the 20's but if they sat on my wheel for a whole lap just to sprint around me I'm going to make sure they know I didn't appreciate it at the next race.

Oh yeah... I forgot...

1978 indeed has a Ducati. Because I talked them up. He and I were having a nice discussion about them, about how I wanted to buy a Monster actually. Next thing I know dude has one. Fuck.

Watching the Tour right now... dem boys a re flying down the road toward Brugges.

Dude... I've typed and re-typed at least four times now info on the single speed mountain bikes. I can't do it again. I keep hitting the wrong damn key and losing all what I typed. Bummed. Anyway...

Fist666...

Check out Counter Balance bike shop in Queen Anne North. I recall going there a few years ago and they had everything single speed related. in all disciplines. I checked online to see if they still are in business and they are. They still seem to specialize in the single speed culture as well.

Bikes to consider...

On-One if you can find them - They're pricey but you got a sizable budget.

Surly Karate Monkey - Within your budget and you could probably do it up super nice

Raleigh XXIX $750

Diamond Back "Assault" $1000

And if you want a complete list of single speed mtb mfgrs...

http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml#ssMfgrsBikes

Sorry... after four times my frustration got the better of me.

thanks joker.

i'm having a hard time finding stateside sales of ON-ONE, i'd looked at those in the past, but the only dealer i could find is on the east coast.

the assault is too "big hit" for what i intend on riding. just simple singletrack, maybe some fireroads. the raleigh is hot, but i don't want rigid, though i suppose i could upgrade that. also found the cannondale 1fg. it seems like a bike made to meet a trend's demand.

thus far i'm most enthralled with the gary fisher rig and the ramble tamble by van dessel. there's a shop in portland that sells them, so i'll probably go check 'em out this weekend. also gonna hit up counter balance.

thanks for the help. i'll post pics once i get whatever it is i get.

UCIs now asking the team managers, support staff, and doctors—pretty much anyone associated with the team—to sign an agreement to be regularly tested for doping as well. The agreement also requires them to work with anti-doping authorities in doping cases, and if at any time the person doesnt seem to be cooperating with UCI, they can be fined their entire years salary.

Terrible looking pile up today. Tomas Vaitkus may have a possible broken thumb, Rodriguez was on the floor gripping his ribs, and Daniele Bennati went in to have his hip scanned. Hincapie looks fine Cancellara said hes fine so overall the crash damage wasnt too bad.

capt.514abc12d3e34ae7bcb926d258b807ba.belgium_cycling_tour_de_france_tdf122.jpg

Yeah, that crash looked nasty. I hope someone kicks the shit out of that Milram rider for reacting too wide in such conditions. It was a good win for Steegmasn though... dude deserves some love for all the work he's done the last few years.

Fist... if you're down in Portland check out Cyclepath on MLK Blvd in Northeast. They have a good grip on that kind of stuff too. And they're real cool about directing you to another shop if they don't have what you're looking for. I would assume Fat Tire Farm in Northwest would have some good choices as well. And if you get something in Portland... keep going south to Falls City, Oregon. Some amazing trails there... absolutely amazing.

Buy it, load it with a rear pannier, and put a bunch of *one less car* and *save our troops* stickers on it. Park it where all your neighbors can see how progressive and socially conscience you are, and show your wife. How could she say no to bragging rights like that..

Im in the market for a vespa, which is kind of the same thing.

Peleton beat out the break off again. Cancellara saw that chance to get in front of the sprinters by catching the break off and flying past them. Erik Zabel mightve won if the finish was an inch further, but he didnt. If anyone missed today find it on youtube.

Vespa & Ducati = Kinda the same thing? I'm going to have to go with a no on that one. I've owned several Vespas in my time and the only thing in common they have is they're both Italian.

Yeah, that TT Cancellara did at 40+ mph to hold off the field of sprinters was damn impressive. I'm sure his team would like to give up the jersey before the climbs come in but that won't happen now. Even if the closest in GC sprinter wins today he still won't have enough points to take the jersey.

Raced last night... my fragile morale has finally been shattered. I guess all I can do now is look forward to next year.

Hesh... I hear you, and it's definitely something to consider but at the moment I'm sticking with the road bike.

Speaking of bikes, I'm about to bid on this little diddy on ebay that seems like a good bike to get me started on my fixed gear pub bike. Which seems pretty stupid since I go out to the pubs maybe three times a year.

5600_3.JPG.jpg?t=1184207582

meh, the more the merrier. unfortunately my living quarters don't accommodate my collection of bikes, and i'm gonna try and sell one as a parts bike and my 20. i got rid of two before i got here. i'll be down to 2 bikes. s/s road and i'll get my s/s mountain soon. i do want a 24" cruiser though. i'll figure it out.