bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
There's a place called Continental Bike Shop in Hazel Park that sells Kona. Not sure how far that is from you but a Google search gave me that info as shops in Detroit that sells Kona bikes. They sponsor a Kona racing team so they should have a pretty good line of products and be very knowledgable about the bikes. Which will enable them to help set you up on the bike correctly.

Check 'em out.

Shiiiiiiit, hazel park isn't far but I'm actually moving back to my homeland, Chicago, in two days, so I was planning on buying there. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find them in chicago, especially if you said a google search found you stuff around detroit. Thanks for the help again.

Never, ever take training advice from Bicycling magazine. That is the equivalent of People magazinr for cyclists. And you would never read People... would you? When you put in a ride at 95% your max, and don't refuel your body's energy stores then you're setting youself up for a serious downfall. Not to mention serious fatigue. You gotta eat. If you're looking to drop weight you know you can go about that shit properly... especially if you're riding regularly.

Hesh... I have been on the fence about your groupset but I think I'm going to skip the track bike and set up a fixed commuter / training bike instead. And I don't think I need Dura Ace for that. I'm not that cool.

\

Oh, and anyone subscribe to Bicycling magazine? I heard there was an article about training techniques that are completely unrecommended but will make you a better cyclist. One was apparently not eating, going on a big-ass climb, skipping lunch, then small dinner light on carbs, then the next day going on another bigass climb for an hour at 95% of your max, then not eating that day either... then doing that once or twice a month to train your body to burn fat and save the sugar for later.

Hahahaha, that sounds like they asked a texas-born football coach to write a training column.

My bike gets here monday. I can't wait to have a bike i can just ride. Beer rides to the bench...this bike will probably hurt my racing.

if thats legit id straight be on it. i hope that does not end up on a bike that isnt meant to race.

pretty sure it's legit, it came off an njs track build that was on craigslist, guy must have decided to sell the rear disc seperately. i think it's carbon fiber as well, not positive though.

but yeah, i'd hope it's being used on the track as well, that's probably why i'm not buying it. tubulars on the street is never a good idea, especially in our rainy city of portland (though zak the messenger has been known to ride his disc around from time to time; he's also a trackie).

who are you kiddin? That hubs probably on its last leg from being dropped off every curb in the state of oregon. 100 degrees today. Rides have moved forward to 5 am until further notice.

contrary to popular belief, portland is not san francisco and only begins to look like it when you guys come up here. you'd be very hard pressed to find anyone riding a disc wheel on the street here, aerospokes are few and far between and i've never seen an HED3 or trispoke in person in my entire life.

usually when something is tubular, you can probably bet it wasn't ridden on the street, and if it was, than not for long.

i have a late 70's raleigh super grand prix road bike that i have been using for the last year and a half or so. the bike is in pretty good condition considering its age but i really want to upgrade or replace it soon.

i know very little about which upgrades would be possible/recommended/available and if i would replace the bike i have no idea what to get in it's place. could anyone point me in the right (or any) direction with either option? ive been saving up and have about 1000 to spend. gracias..

not this bike but pretty much the same as far as i can tell.

raleighful.jpg

Decay... there are plenty of factors to consider in this situation.

Personally, I would never "upgrade" and older bike. A tune-up yes, but never an upgrade in parts. You're killing the aesthetics when you do. I'd get the old bike a decent tune-up and if it's still not giving you what you need then start shopping for something new.

If it's new you want... why do you want it? Just to get around town? Are you considering racing? Are you commuting, and if so is the commute short or long? Do you require the need to have fenders or is it relatively dry where you are? Would you prefer Mountain or Road bike? Or a hybrid of the two? Gears or single speed... not fixed mind you, just one gear. These are just a few questions I would need to know the answer to before I could post a bunch of photos of bikes to consider.

A $1000 could buy you a pretty decent bike for getting around town or commuting.

sorry, by upgrade i meant tune-up. all of the parts are from england and original so i would not even think of replacing them. especially since this was my pops' old bike. would i just go to the shop and ask them to fix it a bit? haha

'm not considering anything other than getting around town and work at this point. im interested in getting a new bike because this one both isnt that great to look at, but also there are a couple big things that need to be fixed, although i guess ill see if a tune up will take care of them. but i probably put about 30 miles plus or minus a day on the bike. so if i buy new/slightly used im looking for a complete road bike. right now my bike is a geared but i don't use the range of gears very much. i usually just stick to two, on for up hills and one for downhills/flats. so im not really sure which would be best for me. ideally i wouldnt want to spend more than 600 but if there is nothing good (used or new) at that price then i wouldnt mind spending up to 1000.

Okay Decay and I was... here's my suggestions. I chose to go with single speed because you, Decay, said all you really do is keep it in one or two gears. One for up hill and one for down hill. With a single speed bicycle you don't even have to worry about that. The hardest part is learning your terrain and figuring out what kind of gearing you'll need. Most folks go with the standard 44:16 ratio (44 chainring up front and 16 tooth cog in the back). Depending on your hills that may be a little too much for you. With one gear you have less to worry about and less to clean, maintain and repair. It's kind of a no brainer if you ask me... and you did.

You wanted to keep it under $1000... and I was is looking to spend even less. So I came up with a few options for you to consider. And keep in mind there are a bunch of others out there beside these bikes. If you have the option to buy used I would look into that first because you may be able to buy something even cheaper. Probably not, but maybe.

Bianchi "Fremont" $700

07BianchiFremont_med.jpg

Lemond "Fillmore" $750

06LemondFillmore_med.jpg

Specialized "Langster" $650

07SBCLangster_med.jpg

Bianchi "San Jose" $575

bianchi_sanjose_grn_07_m.jpg

Giant "Bowery" $500

giant_bowery_silver_06_m.jpg

Masi "Speciale Fixed" $700

speciale_fixed.jpg

Those are some bikes to get you thinking. I'm pretty sure most, if not all of these bikes offer what they call a "flip-flop" rear wheel. Meaning you can ride the bike with a fixed gear (when the rear wheel is in motion so are the pedals, which takes some getting used to but if you have hand brakes you should be fine) or a freewheel (like a BMX bike). If you're looking for something with gears the prices go up about $300 to $400 easily. And like I said... once you have gears you have more to worry about and repairs are more expensive.

Hope the info helps...

thanks again for all the help joker. its going to be a fixed gear for sure, half my problems with my current bike have to do with the gears. in addition to the ones you posted, the bianchi pista and also the jamis sputnik seem like good choices in my price range. i really like the specs and reviews of the sputnik but i think ill have to ride one in person to see if the gear ratio isnt too steep for my hilly city. they seem to be pretty cheap used as well. both sell for under 500$ in good condition.

07_SPUTNIK.jpg

aerospokes weigh a proper shit ton.

i rode one for the first time the other day and you're absolutely right. it's great when you're going down a hill and being pulled by the front wheel, shitty when you're going back up the same hill, and a little scary when it gets windy.

mavic open pros, now those make for a nice wheel build.