bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Benefit? Well theyre beefy and punishable for composite wheels that weigh over five pounds, but other than that? None whatsoever. Students at MIT say you make more of a difference in aerodynamics by not wearing gloves than with an aero wheel. It seems, from my limited experience, you can buy yourself a $15k time trial bike and unless youre on a closed course timed by tenths of a second, you wont be riding any faster. I just went on a 60 mile ride today over some serious fuckin hills including Mt Diablo and there was a dude riding a Cervelo P3 on back country, aerobars and all and i passed him up with only enough time to say *awesome bike* before flying past him up hill, and the dude was ripped. Its the latest in bike fashion like risers in the ninties were hot for being *boston style.*

The benefit is that if you have a steelframe bike with columbus steel blade forks, a front aerowheel looks sick.

speaking on behalf of extensive racing expericance, aero wheels make a substantial differance.

So ive been looking to find what a difference a cycling team would make to help me be a better cyclist, and i found a few team/club newsletters the coaches send out monthly. To me its cool stuff, i dunno about swedish or Joker, but warmup practices, post workout practices... things to work on, nutrition, etc. Its all dope. Now with summer up ahead if I could get back into swimming and track like i used to be in highschool id be set for a decent chance at a triathalon competition, or some kind of fun on the same level.

Hey hesh, how confident are you with swimming?

I would assume that where you live there are several team/ clubs that cater to cyclists of all levels. You pay their annual fee to join and buy there team kit to look the part and you're in. Most of these teams/ clubs don't even require you race, much less show up at training rides. However, if you do you gain more not only in perspective but also some strength and endurance on the bike. Usually guys on these teams are very helpful to new folks because most of them were in the same position as you only a year ago. If you're looking to get some quality miles on the bike at speeds you wouldn't normally handle on your own I'd say it's a decent option. You may even find that one or two of the members of a team are also just there to get form for a triathalon, and that would give you someone to train with.

Race today... report coming later.

Race Report :

51 miles - 17 mile loop - 3 laps - pancake flat :

The weather was cold and a little windy. For me, it was a bit much and I wasn't sure I was going to warm up to a fast pace or any kind of racing. After a short neutral roll out the group just kind of rolled along for most of the first lap. At about mile 13 two guys made a go of it and got a bit up the road. A fwe minutes later a team mate of mine took a flyer and chased them down on his own. Once he caught them, he took a few minutes to recover and then started to do some work. It was obvious that three are better than two because the break started to gain time on us. The the counter attacks started coming. Every attack that went, well just about every attack that went, I sat on the wheel of the attacker/ attackers. I didn't make any friends but that's bike racing. Eventually the constant surges to catch the break brought them back and the racing slowed for just a bit. The second lap was mostly uneventful with an attack or two that didn't get far. It was the last lap that really got interesting. After we rolled through the start/ finish line to start our last lap the attacks started and started strong. Guys were flying up the road and no one wanted any of them to get away. The pace was high and attacks were plenty. About half way through the lap someone either blew a tire or crossed a wheel and the carnage that ensued was unforgetable. Even now the image of that guy flipping through the air is fresh in my mind. Freightning. The riders in front of the crash attacked immediately and those of us just behind had to work like zombies to catch on. With the group altogether it became a race of elbow bumping and name calling. A touch of wheels here and few four letter words there... it was almost entertaining. With 3k to go the group was altogether and bazing down the road. No one even bothered to attack for two reasons : with the group altogether and taking up the whole road... there was very little room for an attacker to move and no one was going to let anyone go anywhere. As we came to the 300m to go sign I worked my way up to about tenth position and I was on the outside. One sharp left hander to go before an all out slug fest to the line. As we took the turn I went wayyyyy too wide and ended up in the gravel off the road. Not too far but enough to slow me down a bit. I jumped back on and gunned it best I could. I was making my way through riders when I heard a team mate yell for me to move to the left. I did and he came blazing past me like I was going backwards. He finished fourth and I think I came in around tenth... haven't seen results yet to know for sure. Bugs me because if I had not taken that left hander wide... I could have finished better. Even worse... when I was going into the turn I was on the wheel of the guy who won. Doesn't mean anything, but it does make me wonder what I could have done if I stayed on his wheel.

Feeling better every day and enjoying the racing this year. Our team is getting results and that makes sponsors happy. With the weekly series starting this week it should help my form come a little sooner than expected, which should be just in time for my favorite race later in the month.

And I got my new Ritchey carbon wheels today... can't wait to ge those things on and give 'em a go.

added a crowned tange infinity fork and miche bottom bracket to my bianchi.

someone please tell me how to pronounce miche.

i know it wont make me go any faster or any longer,

but if i dont ask and find out then i wont know.

thus far i have heard:

+ MEE-shuh (which i normally go with)

+ MIH-shuh

+ mee-KAY

+ MEET-che

i love being right...

this interval program is really working like crazy. im barely 2 weeks into it and im feeling better than ever. like, EVER... i've had to re-adjust what my HR zones are because im getting my HR higher and higher way easier. i love it!

What exactly are you doing in your training Hesh? I've been thinking of getting a heart monitor to have a more quantatative approach towards training, and I'm just sort of curious about the basic regime you have going...

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie... that gif is nuts. Impressive.

Regarding HRM's and training regimes...

I use the Polar CS200cad :

penncyclebuy_1928_1592747

I love this thing for many reasons. You can mount the unit on your stem to leave that all so useful bar space for your hands. Everything is wireless. Comes with a cadence monitor. Easy to read. And many of the normal HRM lovelies. And, if you're running a PC, you can download your ride summaries to the Polar Coach online which will keep all your data and track your progress.

As for training regimes... I have been going with coaching through Wenzel. I do the cheapest monthly option and my results with coaching have been phenominal in comparrison when I ride without one. I think it's the thought that I paid for the service so I might as well do what is expected of me. Either way, they do things like most coaching systems. I start out my training season real slow and keep my cadence high, HR low. Every once in s while I'll do a lower cadence but keep the HR low. After a month of that I start in on the easy intervals... mostly hills because that is my weakness. And so on and so on. As the race season gets closer the training gets more intense and specific. And I spend plenty of time in the gym from October to April. Slowly working my way up from small reps and heavy weights to long reps and lighter weights. It's a strange transition and you think the lifting is going to be easier but it's actually harder. Squats are key. Dead lifts help out a lot as well. Don't forget the stomach. Leg curls. Bench presses. Calf raises and the most important... leg presses. That's where you do your heaviest weights. Well, at least in my training program.

Now that the racing season is in full swing I've transitioned from the gym to full time on the road. One day off a week. Racing on the weekend and one short race during the week. Training during the week is light except for one day of focus training where I spend time on a weakness... still hills.

yeah, you kinda have to research the hell out of chainlines / BB's / tapers / compatible drivetrain equipment before getting new stuff, or bring your bike to a shop where they won't let your bike leave until it's 100 percent perfect / won't sell you some ISO BB to fit your JIS crank or vice versa, because a lot of places will just get you out the door as long as everything works for 5 minutes...

point is, count your losses and get a BB with a longer spindle, having a perfect or near perfect chainline is obviously one of the most important things if you're going to be running fixed gear for long...

truing wheels isn't so bad though. atleast it's not exactly a costly repair if you bend your wheel out of true and don't know how to true wheels yourself. $10 to the man and you're back on your bike.

as for me i put track drops back on my bike today and it reminded me why risers are the best for city riding. i think i'm going to save these track drops for velodrome riding only from now on, atleast after a few more days of riding them on the street because i get lazy about putting on the grips than taking them back off.

i probably also need to throw that lockring on the other side of my hub, flip the wheel around and ride 49/16 and take it to the velodrome for serious practice / fun. might as well.

hi everyone i have a few questions I have decided to start biking places because i am fat and need excerise.

I found my uncles old bike it is a centurion le mans it is a champange color with red lettering(i dont know if that helps any or at all) but anyhow the bike i believe is from the 80s.

it is all original parts except the front wheel and tire which i replaced when i rode the bike for like 2 weeks last year and i crashed into a dude on the street and mangled my wheel.

what do you guys think i should do to it to get it to be a reliable daily riden bike? i am also fat(200 lb under 6') so do i need extra heavyweight tires or something? can anyone recommend somewhere in the south bay area/san jose area?

thanks for the help errybody

Theres a bikeswap in your area on the 29th at Cupertino Bike Shop. Hit that shit up early and youll find what you need.

I got fucking tired of waiting for my new fork and rim to come in the mail so i spent 30 minutes converting the bridgestone using parts i had lying around. Its fairly solid and It doesnt look half bad for being the beaterest beater in beaterland. Hell i might post flicks.