bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
there were i must say some rather nicely kept 80s and 90s road bikes.

the time of the track bike may be beyond us.

ima be ready when all these kids are looking to get rid of their bikes on the cheap.

I said that in 2002 when all my friends and I were switching over to touring bikes. I was wrong.

resting heart rate dropped to 32bpm last night

That's a bit low... even for someone in absolute incredible fitness. I have a resting HR of 38-39bpm while sleeping and the two doctors who have seen that in my file were rather alarmed. I have no idea just how sketchy it is. However, this was also during a time when I had a wicked high HR when pushing my limit... I'm talking in the 225bpm area. I was put on all kinds of machines to try and figure that one out.

Completely digging my bike.

It ain't all fancy but it does fine by me.

Gonna be getting a very cheap SG that I can leave locked up late at night for work and ride parts of DTLA.. The roads are real fucked and difficult on a road bike.

After a month of riding it's as easy as flat pedals. You don't even have to think about clipping out when you crash, it just happens.

I raced a criterium tonight and ended up in 2nd place... nearly got the 1st place guy at the finish, who had made a break with like 2k to go, but my legs were on fire at that point. 3 races in 5 days! Feels great.

• Like 1

good show rubbish!

were you riding in a specific category?

--

i attempted a local crit-esque ride about 2 weeks ago

it's crazy riding in such a fast moving, tight pack /nh

definitely learned a lot trying to hang...can't wait to go back.

4/5 cat. I think as long as I can stay upright and keep racing crits/PIR that 3 upgrade will be around the corner, but I'm gonna try my hand at the local hill racing series (Mt. Tabor) to see how I hang with the 4's up hills (my weakness, shhh :chicken:). Thanks yo!

Went to the bicycle Film fest this past weekend, saw some pretty good films and met some good people. I would post some videos from the fest but i am unable to find them. I imagine they will be up soon.

The best film in my opinion was the 20 min video documentary on the warriors bike race that went down in NYC. Shit was outrageous! Hope y'all can catch the video somewhere.

http://bicyclefilmfestival.com/2009_site/memphis/

Anyone happen to catch any of the past events? If it ever comes through your city or near it i definitely wouldn't sleep on it.

Did not see the film festival... I think it may have already come around this way.

Raced last night and the junk was fast, fast, fast. The Land Rover boys area gearing up for Philly so the pace was just stupid fast. With five laps to go I got bumped out into the grass on a long sweeping turn. I had to wait for the field to come around again to get back in. The last lap was so freakin' fast that I soft pedaled when the front of the field started their sprint. I was blasted tired at that point. Even still... it was fun.

Rubbish, cat up to a 3 before the Cirque du Cycling crit...

Joker, I don't think I'll have enough points by then even if I get 1st in next Tuesday's crit... either way I planned on racing the Blue Ribbon Omnium deal at the track on the 13th anyway. I've done two crits now but so far I'm liking track better and I've had my eye on that 3 upgrade for the track for months haha.

Is the Park Blocks crit still happening this summer? I'd be way stoked to race that, didn't HealthNet pull out as a sponsor though?

im about to make the transition to clipless.

any suggestions? il be using them for singletrack, and can you easily "disconnect" incase of falling?

ive never used them before

Spend the extra money and get Time ATACs, don't bother with SPDs. You'll thank me later.

As far as I know it's just how the cleat clips into the pedal. Egg beaters I hear are the easiest to clip into because you can pull back or push forward. I ride SPDs and they kind of suck to get into, but i like have that much meat of a pedal under my shoe.

shoes are interchangeable with clips, as far as i know. eggbeaters are usually used for road riding to the best of my knowledge, very small with minimal weight, they look like this-

crank-brothers-eggbeater-pedal.jpg

for singletrack your gona want something a little beefier, i would suggest time atacs.

TimeAtacCarbon.jpg

thats what i have, bought them used off of a guy i work with and they work great.

as far as shoes go (which i assume you will need), get something with an exposed cleat, as opposed to a road shoe with a cleat that is tucked into the middle of the sole. works wonders for when you need to walk a climb/etc.

in other news, i'm still kicking around the idea of buying a fixie. i want something i can commute on and take for longer rides. i've heard good things about the entry-level IRO bikes, just shot them an email regarding a possible discount. fingers crossed.

Yo Time ATACs are some of the best all-around pedals out there. I prefer them to Egg Beaters because they feel a lot more secure to stand up on and have less float it seems.

I've been using my ATACs for:

-brakeless fixed gear riding in the city

-road riding / racing

-track racing

-single track / MTBing

The only time they really leave anything to be desired is maybe an all-out sprint on the track. I'll probs be getting SPD-SLs to address that though.

Is the Park Blocks crit still happening this summer? I'd be way stoked to race that, didn't HealthNet pull out as a sponsor though?

As far as I know the Twilight Crit is still on. HealthNet definitely pulled out but apparently others stepped in. I can see how they'd want to keep it alive since the draw is huge as far as spectators go. Especially now that it's located just north of Burnside instead of up by the art museum. Way more walking traffic rolls up now. I'm definitely doing that race. I wanted to do it last year but I had moved that day and was exhausted... there was no way I waas going to be able to even hang on the back.