bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

So.... do you know any good biking documentaries?

Depends on what you're looking for? About racing? About being a messenger? About maintenance?

I know there are plenty of cycling related documentaries out there but I've only watched a few on racing teams. If that's not what you're after then I would suggest you look here - http://bicycleuniverse.info/stuff/movies-documentaries.html

And if you're ever in Vancouver, B.C. go here - http://www.superchampionshop.com/index.php

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
PIR eh? Was it faster than 1/2/3's?

It was the 1/2/3's but just the over 30 guys. It seemed like every lap there was someone trying to get off the front but everyone wasn't interested in letting that happen. Eventually with six laps to go a group broke away and the remaining folks eased up a bit but only for a couple laps, and then we had this idea that we could catch them... came close but I am wrecked from the effort. And the wind last night was brutal! I was so happy to have a tail wind on the way home.

I'd say it's just as fast as Tuesday but with a lot more surges.

I posted this in a BMX fourm but its full of twelve year olds so I will post this here:

So I installed a new free wheel on my hub and when I went to see if everything was okay buy cranking the cranks and seeing if the wheel would go...well when the back wheel was turning it looked kind of wobbly and made a click noise. Is this bad? Is it safe to ride? Did I misalign my free wheel?

HALP!

admissions:

i have never worked with my bag.

the buckle does grind into your chest with heavy loads.

and as stated i prefer a plain backpack for most trips.

as such i havent used the thing in over a year.

if shai was the one that brought up hipsters then i stand down on the anti-hipster is the new hipster.

I posted this in a BMX fourm but its full of twelve year olds so I will post this here:

So I installed a new free wheel on my hub and when I went to see if everything was okay buy cranking the cranks and seeing if the wheel would go...well when the back wheel was turning it looked kind of wobbly and made a click noise. Is this bad? Is it safe to ride? Did I misalign my free wheel?

HALP!

I did this with my old single speed. I had put the freewheel on slightly crooked and fucked up my hub. It didn't click though. I'd take it off and make sure you put it on straight, that is if you didn't cross thread it already like I did.

On another note, just finished up my grocery getter. Coaster brakes, huge ass leather saddle, and split baskets on the back. It's sickening how heavy this thing is. The rear wheel outweighs my road bike.

Lastly, I got a cleat fitting to take care of my knee problems. They lowered my seat and pushed my cleats forward which felt a lot better. Since my right leg is so much shorter than my left they told me there weren't enough shims in the world to fix my problem and my best bet is to build up the foot bed inside my shoe. I got some inserts in there now and I'll take a ride tomorrow to see how it feels. Considering my knee is starting to get back to 100%

Sorry for the long ass post.

utility>"aesthetics"

im finna get a messenger bag, but i got an independent backpack that has held up surprisingly well. i wasnt expecting much since i found it in a basement /nosexcavedungeononer (becasue i can). it haS the skateboard holder deal thing which has been useful to the max to strap stuff to (recently i added a bike frame w/fork, two sets of handlebars, and a wheel. all at once. woot.

so i got my fix gear, and recently i impuslively bougt a kona ute. stock. (im not to be trusted with monies) been usin it to haul this n that, what with it being the end of the semester and college kids throwin away appliances/art supplies/furniture etc.

but in hindsight im thinkin i shoulda built me up a extracycle. oh well too late.

next i wanna build up some form of cyclocross bike, but i want shit to be done proper. i read up on sheldon browns article on bike sizing. im figuring ill just go to the local shop and get sized. does cyclocross geometry differ greatly from roadbike geometry?

word

I might be able to get you a deal* on a Freight, RH. Let me know when you want to do it and I'll pay him a visit...I'll ask if I can help out and maybe offset the cost a bit. BTW, his backpacks are really nice.

*This offer is only being extended to RH based on some previous conversations we had so no one should be getting any ideas here.

ive had a freight bag for a while now, still holding up.

t.p. is an ex roommie.

no/un-namedrop

I finally got a bike on the cheap. Single speed, no fixed gear shit for me. I'm so fucking horribly out of shape, but I'm already digging flying around. I was gonna get a bag, but not much point since I got a good back pack. I'm already working on getting another bike on the cheap again, but more riding around shitty DTLA so I can catch flicks..

Blah, blah, blah..

I do need a helmet though.. Any recommendations? I have a huge head, so something won't me look even more freakish.

Thanks.

ya, clipless rules the school.

-

i just did a semi-fit and they lowered my seat and moved it back a bit, ended up with new bars and stem as well.

feels great - i didn't realize how stretched out i was until riding with the new setup.

when i put my hands on the hoods i feel way stretched out, what did they do to "solve" that problem? and how much did it cost you to get fitted?

when i put my hands on the hoods i feel way stretched out, what did they do to "solve" that problem? and how much did it cost you to get fitted?

Like count said, lowering your seat and moving it forward helps a lot. A shorter stem with some rise is also helpful...as far as handlebars, I ride the widest bars I can get and tilt them back so the flats are level with my seat and the bar ends are almost parallel with my down tube. It sounds weird but it's comfortable.

i have my handelbars in an identical position. now, i ride CX only with my bike so would that mean a slightly different adjustments? because i cant imagine a road bike and CX bike being set up identical. but i will try lowering my seat as soon as i figure out why my bike is making a clicking noise.

oh i gotchya.

yea, on my stem the horizontal part is brazed to the vertical and i noticed alot of other ones bolt on and off. am i going to have to replace my entire fork to get a different style stem?

Yes. What you're currently using is a quill stem and is outdated to most but preferred by some.

I do need a helmet though.. Any recommendations? I have a huge head, so something won't me look even more freakish.

Thanks.

This is one of those situations where you have to go with what fits you best and is comfortable. Don't buy a cool helmet because it's cool but fits you poorly. If you go down... you just wasted your money. Find a helmet that works for you and then look for a color that won't make you vomit.

Most decent helmets will run you about $90-120 whereas a baller helmet will hit the $150 mark and up.

Look at Bell, Giro and even Specialized makes a pretty nice helmet.

also how many people on here use clipless? i got a free pair of shoes and pedals from a freind but the shoes are a tad bit too big for me so i put in some insoles to fit gooder. bad idea? good idea?

Bad idea. Wear proper fitting shoes with proper fitted cleats and your knees will thank you in ten years. If budget is an issue look at Craiglists and ebay.

And yes, CCX geometry is different from road and track. What this means is that if you ride a 54cm road bike you're not going to ride a 54cm track or CCX bike. In my experience, sizing for track and CCX goes up.

What's even the benefit of a quill stem over threadless? Other than the fact that some older frames that people may drool over will need to run a quill.

Other than the obvious fact that threadless stems are now more commonplace than quill stems... I'll assume there's not much of a benefit of owning one or the other. I'm guessing that a quill stem is more than likely made of steel so there's a better chance for rust, which is a bad thing to have. Aesthetically threadless stems look way better... unless you're building a classic bike. Quill stems seem to be heavier and harder to find.

I think...

I think the idea is that threadless setups are lighter and easier to adjust, plus it makes all-carbon forks possible. Either one is good if it's properly set up.

Salsa and Nitto still make nice quill stems...I'm riding a Salsa right now, it's awesome (but not very light).

i just got a specialized allez elite a week and a half ago.. i love it

holla for ugly jerseys and sexy pants

btw, i need a link to some decent looking jerseys.. i'm riding in my running long sleeves and i can't

find anything that compares to it

quill stems are classic and just look "right" on steel lugged frames.

threadless stems are stiffer and lighter than quill stems and are more variable.

plus many have open faces which makes it sooo much easier to swap bars.

on the lowering your seat issue.

i see lots of people riding with their seats too high.

your leg shouldnt go past 150 degrees with your heels down.

This is one of those situations where you have to go with what fits you best and is comfortable. Don't buy a cool helmet because it's cool but fits you poorly. If you go down... you just wasted your money. Find a helmet that works for you and then look for a color that won't make you vomit.

Most decent helmets will run you about $90-120 whereas a baller helmet will hit the $150 mark and up.

Look at Bell, Giro and even Specialized makes a pretty nice helmet.

Thanks Joker, it's much appreciated..

Too bad it may have to wait a week or so..