bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Was that a full triathlon Hesh?

A co-worker of mine did the Lake Placid triathlon, the training was nuts. If I'm running a full marathon, i'm not doing shit the rest of the week, let alone the same day biking and swimming.

I'm planning on doing my first triathlon at the end of the summer.

and all i have is a mountain bike. i could use it but i know its going to feel like riding with cement in my wheels as everyone else blows by on their road bikes.

So my question to you guys. I'm looking at picking up a used road bike. What size bike should i look for? I'm 5'9" also anything else i should be looking for in the bike?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

At 5'9" you should be looking in the 54cm to 55cm range. Depending on your budget I would get something with an aluminum frame and carbon forks or a complete carbon frame and fork. Look for decent group set, for example if it's Shimano look for Dura Ace or Ultegra and if it's Campagnolo look for Record or Chorus. Sometimes a bike will have a full group of one kind but a third party crankset like FSA, Ritchey or Truvativ... which should be fine. Stay away from anything that comes with a triple crankset... you don't need it.

More than likely you're going to need to upgrade a few things like a carbon seatpost and possibly better tires. Not all of which are necessary but something to think about. And if you're not buying a time trial specific bike then you'll need to purchase a set of clip on aero bars which range in price anywhere from $100 on up. And if you're going to be using it mainly as a TT bike I would suggest a TT specific seat as well. A lot more padding on the nose where you need it.

Just some ideas to think about. Other guys on here may have more to consider...

Joker thanks for the info, that really helps me out.

I'm going to go to my local bike shops today, see if they have anything as far as used bikes that fit these dimensions.

here are 3 i found on ebay and craigslist in the price range and in the frame size.

Trek 1400

f5bc_3.jpg

Trek 1100

28e4_1.jpg

Trek 1000

55004012_o.jpg

it was a sprint distance tri. the lake george tri is an 'ironman', way more hardcore. id say im at least a year out from that level w/ constant training. i plan on doing another sprint at the end of august and now knowing my energy levels during and after each of the disciplines (swim, bike, run) i plan on cutting my time in at least half. plus its fun beasting on fools in a stripped down environment. i feel like in traditional bike races and crits and shit there is a HUGE social component and scene to it all. im finding the there is a scene within tri but the actual race is SO individual its a totally different and more fun environment. year out from now expect to see me in san fran at the escape from alcatraz tri and then maybe an ironman 70.3 after that. lofty goals in 2007.

colt45oe800:

first tri i wouldnt wprry about aero bars and having a TT rig. the first trek you posted looks ok at first glance. your going to want a bike you can be on for a long period of time to train. pack a lot of miles under your ass to prepare.

electronic groupo:

i remenber reading about them in velo news like 3 years ago. im pretty sure a lot of pros have been using them for a while now on the low. i know campy has a system as well. gues its getting ready to be rolled out.

joker:

ever have any proble,s w/ your polar computer? mine stops and pauses its self after an hour of use. fucking annoying. all it reports after one hour is HR. im about to smash it.

can someone recommend to me something that will suit my needs? I am just going to be commuting around the city to work and out and about, but I don't really want a road bike, I want a hybrid or perhaps just a light frame mountain bike, preferably single speed (not fixed), no suspension, just as light as possible but still has the feel of a mountain bike, because thats just what I prefer. Is there anything in the 500 dollar range I could get? Maybe some sites you all could point out to me, or some specific bikes?

Issac...

This is a 2006 Kona Unit that I know is for sale here locally for $450. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but if it is... look for something like it in your area. I know new ones sell for about $700

20343.jpg

And Trek makes a pretty nice one but I have no idea how much it sells for

69er_rootbeer.jpg

I think Van Dessel makes one as well but it may be in the $700 range. I'm sure you could also buy a regular MTB and buy the single speed converter that SOMA makes to convert it to SS. There may be more to it than just that but the overall might be cheaper than something new. Just a thought.

Hesh... from time to time the unit will go into PAUSED mode and I won't notice till I get home from a ride, at which point it's too late. It doesn't happen too often though. There also has been a few times where it starts recording in LAP mode and I can't get it to stop... and it really pisses me off. I end up riding without using the HRM at all when it does that. Can you imagine?... just riding willy-nilly without knowing your vitals? Crazy.

Had the chance to get one of those Powertap power meters for $450 last night but I reacted too late by about a minute the guy said. Bummed...

it was a sprint distance tri. the lake george tri is an 'ironman', way more hardcore. id say im at least a year out from that level w/ constant training. i plan on doing another sprint at the end of august and now knowing my energy levels during and after each of the disciplines (swim, bike, run) i plan on cutting my time in at least half. plus its fun beasting on fools in a stripped down environment. i feel like in traditional bike races and crits and shit there is a HUGE social component and scene to it all. im finding the there is a scene within tri but the actual race is SO individual its a totally different and more fun environment. year out from now expect to see me in san fran at the escape from alcatraz tri and then maybe an ironman 70.3 after that. lofty goals in 2007.

oh heshy! congratulations! i didnt think you were serious when you said you were doing it. i thought triathlon was like code for booze pills and ladies. burger king will be so proud of you.

our neighbor's homeboy just did escape from alcatraz, and i think my brother in law who is considering being a navy seal did it a few years ago.

Nah, it's from Sellwood Cycles. Could be the same one though... who knows. I'd buy it if I had the cash because it looks super fun to ride.

Swedish... those Swobo bikes look like they have some weird geometry. But that 26" BMX bike looks damn fun.

There's a place called Continental Bike Shop in Hazel Park that sells Kona. Not sure how far that is from you but a Google search gave me that info as shops in Detroit that sells Kona bikes. They sponsor a Kona racing team so they should have a pretty good line of products and be very knowledgable about the bikes. Which will enable them to help set you up on the bike correctly.

Check 'em out.

I ended up buying the top one. Its not a track bike. Its got more of a roadbike geometry, with a flip flop hub. I'm going to switch some componetry around. It looks like a lot of fun to ride, i'm looking for something i can just ride without having to constantly keep up with maintanence, but i didnt want to ride a pure track bike on the road. made perfect since to me.

After getting back from Europe my opinion on fixed gears has changed entirely. Im pretty bored with track bikes.. Well, More like day in day out with them gives me migranes, so I went with a couple friends home for the summer to a local park and tried mountain biking. Flying down steep dirt roads over giant rocks and tree stumps banked around trees and cliffs avoiding hikers and their dogs and then trying to get up 16% grade hills on sand-like dirt. It was tight. This summer ive made a commitment to five different sports to keep things interesting. My roomates got a Giant hard tail with discs that I can use, so for now ive got no plans on spending cash on my own bike, but that shit was fun.

Oh, and anyone subscribe to Bicycling magazine? I heard there was an article about training techniques that are completely unrecommended but will make you a better cyclist. One was apparently not eating, going on a big-ass climb, skipping lunch, then small dinner light on carbs, then the next day going on another bigass climb for an hour at 95% of your max, then not eating that day either... then doing that once or twice a month to train your body to burn fat and save the sugar for later.