Wheatpasting 101

ODS-1

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a messenger bag filled with wheat paste is not a bad idea just make sure you dont need the back for anything else because if you want your shit to stay up you will need some good thick paste, at least thats what i have come to learn. it does clean off of car seats n such, at least leather and fake leather. cloth, not so much. A bucket and roler can look mighty suspicious and to keep your shit in a bag like that is not a bad idea. Ive thought about rigging up individual zip lock bags full of it, especialy for small scale shit ..again for concealment issues. word. wheatpasting is the bombzie.

Is wheatpasting even illegal? In most cities it's legal. At least according to what they've posted on the NYC anti-graf board. NO WHERE, does it claim the useage of stickers, wheatpasting part of vandalism. Especially when you have advertisements all over the city. Otherwise they are guilty of vandalsim:

New York City Graffiti Laws

§ 10-117. Defacement of property, possession, sale and display of aerosol spray paint cans, [and] broad tipped markers and etching acid prohibited in certain instances.

a. No person shall write, paint or draw any inscription, figure or mark of any type on any public or private building or other structure or any other real or personal property owned, operated or maintained by a public benefit corporation, the city of New York or any agency or instrumentality thereof or by any person, firm, or corporation, or any personal property maintained

on a city street or other city-owned property pursuant to a franchise, concession or revocable consent granted by the city, unless the express permission of the owner or operator of the property has been obtained.

b. No person shall carry an aerosol spray paint can, [or] broad tipped indelible marker or etching acid into any public building or other public facility with the intent to violate the provisions of subdivision a of this section.

c. No person shall sell or offer to sell an aerosol spray paint can, [or] broad tipped indelible marker or etching acid to any person under eighteen years of age.

d. All persons who sell or offer for sale aerosol spray paint cans, [or] broad tipped indelible markers or etching acid shall not place such cans, [or] markers or etching acid on display and may display only facsimiles of such cans, [or] markers or etching acid containing no paint, [or] ink or etching acid.

e. For the purpose of this section, the term "broad tipped indelible marker" shall mean any felt tip marker or similar implement containing a fluid that is not water soluble and which has a flat or angled writing surface one-half inch or greater. For the purpose of this section, the term "etching acid" shall mean any liquid, cream, paste or similar chemical substance that can be used to etch, draw, carve, sketch, engrave, or otherwise alter, change or impair the physical integrity of glass or metal.

§2. This local law shall take effect 120 days after enactment.

Title 10 § 117.1 establishes an Anti-Graffiti Task Force that assesses the scope and nature of the City's graffiti problem, examines the effectiveness of existing provisions of law aimed at curbing graffiti vandalism and proposes amendments to strengthen such legislation.   Furthermore, the Task Force reviews current law enforcement activity and suggests ways to augment enforcement capability, identifies existing anti-graffiti programs in the City, surveys the efforts of other jurisdictions to combat graffiti and considers the replication of such programs in New York City, and proposes a comprehensive anti-graffiti program.

Title 10 § 117.2 of the New York City Administrative Law Code allows the Mayor to offer and pay a reward, not exceeding $500, to any person who provides information leading to the apprehension, persecution or conviction of any person who vandalizes property.

New York State Graffiti Laws

§145.00 of the State Penal Law states that a person is guilty of criminal mischief in the fourth degree when he or she, having no right to do so, intentionally damages property of another person, intentionally participates in the destruction of an abandoned building or recklessly damages property of another person in an amount exceeding $250.

§145.05 of the State Penal Law states that a person is guilty of criminal mischief in the third degree when with the intent to damage property of another person, and having no right to do so, he or she damages property of another person in an amount exceeding $250.  §145.10 states that a person is guilty of criminal mischief in the second degree when, with intent to damage property of another person, and having no right to do so, he or she damages property of another person in an amount exceeding $1,500.

Originally posted by williethepimp@Jan 9 2005, 02:19 PM

a messenger bag filled with wheat paste is not a bad idea just make sure you dont need the back for anything else because if you want your shit to stay up you will need some good thick paste, at least thats what i have come to learn. it does clean off of car seats n such, at least leather and fake leather. cloth, not so much. A bucket and roler can look mighty suspicious and to keep your shit in a bag like that is not a bad idea. Ive thought about rigging up individual zip lock bags full of it, especialy for small scale shit ..again for concealment issues. word. wheatpasting is the bombzie.

I've used a jumbo sized dishwashing soap bottle filled with paste for smaller jobs!

Works well...a bit messy...but once you get the hang of it it works well!

Also pasting on bikes with baskets is the best ever....oh for those hot Amsterdam nights!!

oh shit, has any one seen those side bag coolers. they are foft bags that unzip?? You could put your paste in that and then clean it out when your finished, you could even keep your foller or brush or what ever inside with maybe the handle poking out for easy removal. Its a fucking cooler that hangs from your shoulder...no body would say shit and if they do just offer them a beer...do people on this website drink beer or.....?

also, a shoping cart, push it around with your shit in the baskit and blend in....

Originally posted by Justin Kees@Jan 10 2005, 08:36 AM

I've used a jumbo sized dishwashing soap bottle filled with paste for smaller jobs!

Works well...a bit messy...but once you get the hang of it it works well!

yeh ive done that a few times - makes a fucking mess of glue everywhere though! lately ive been using this heavy duty spraymount stuff :

12oztak.JPG

Its uber-fast. but i suppose its kind of cheating really.

poster4.JPG

poster5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

but i totally agree on what your saying. all these kids going out and pasting on electrical boxes and advertisment walls. that aint illegal that is legal forsure. but the kids that get freeways roof tops and trains and stuff like that, more graffiti influenced poster bombing forsure is illegal. but i am sure the penelty for wheatpasting is a fine not a felony like graffiti. so kids that poster get off easy. but in the future i see both stickering and posters being a illegal and considered vandalism.

uta.JPG.54fa54cb71a7602c9e1fdee21fec9425.JPG

• 1 month later...
Guest willy.wonka

ima start getting into this... i dont know why.. i just looked at these drawing i have and thought.. shoot.. i can make a thousand copies and get up.

i have a question though..

doesn't regular printer ink fade fast or does the paste protect it?

those are pretty sick. i've done some screen printing, it takes time but it's well worth it. and if your worried about waisting ink, you really gotta learn how much to use, i thought i heard someone complain about that. but i had an art teacher teach me screen printing. i'd like to get the stuff and start paisting. i did a lennon piece and it was savage i'd like to bring it back.

• 2 weeks later...

yo guys, im new to the wheatpasting scene and posters. I have images on the computer i would like to print out, what kind of paper should i put in my printer that is suitable to be put up with paste.obey.JPG likes these.

I guess you guys use the heavy duty shit. But any help on where to buy it would be greatly appreciated, i see posters as a great form of graffiti, and i would just like to get more involved.

thanks

You don't even need the tube, just roll the sheet and put it in a plastic bag. people may notice you have a large roll of paper with you but that's it. no one would care.

imahustla & superbrew-

I don't think that the paper is the main idea here. actually, thin, matte paper can make your poster stick to walls better and make them a bitch to buff. imagine wheatpasting newspapers. once it's dried it's a part of the wall and stays there. Thick glossy paper won't get soaked so easy and will come off in bigger sheets, although they look better and last longer if they're left untouched. I personally like the gritty, decayed look of thin paper after it's been sitting on a wall for a year or two...

The paper in your printer doesn't matter so much But your printer does. if you have a small inkjet printer, you can forget about printing posters with that. that ink is way too expensive, it runs out quickly, the quality is poor, it's not waterproof and it will most likely smudge when you paste it up.

But if you have a laserjet you can, for instance, print the outlines of your design at home and fill them up with cheap acrylic paint or any other paint/pigment/ ink that won't fade of wash away so well. water proof. that way you get good results fairly cheap without wasting your printer... it can be time consuming if you have a complicated design, in that case you go to kinkos or whatever copy/printing service to do this bussiness

With huge posters or large amounts of them I suggest some copy/print service, or school/free printers for your convenience. you can print your design on smaller sheets and put them together like a puzzle to form the bigger image etc.

Also all you people worrying about if the print will fade or someone will tear down your shit... if you have to cut up your posters to make them difficult to remove, you're using wrong paper and wrong wheat paste. I don't know where or how you can make EVERYTHING work fine, but you eventually will, if you feel like learning and experimenting with this stuff. one could say that posters are "supposed" to be destroyed by time. they're not permanent and that's why they're less serious crime than graffiti, and legal in most countries.

just make your best effort to have good quality prints and super effective wheat paste and I think you've done your best. you can't stop the average john rambo/authorities for removing your posters.

once you read this thread (only 5 pages) you can think what type of paper you prefer and if you want to slice up your poster or what... what makes wheat paste nastier etc. from what I gather it's mostly a question of personal reference. there are no rules

Archived