Wheatpasting 101

ODS-1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by OGchinabanks@Oct 28 2004, 09:46 PM

JUST PUT UP FUCKING POSTERS. DONT WORRY ABOUT SLICING OR DICING, JUST GET UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. YOU DONT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THAT TRASH. WHEATPASTE IS BRUTAL AND CAN TAKE ANYTHING, EXCEPT RAIN, THAT SHIT WILL RELOOSEN THE WHEATPASTE AND PEOPLE CAN PEEL IT RIGHT OFF. OTHER THEN THAT. ITS UNSTOPPABLE

yea fuck slicing your posters/stickers. thats rediculous

I've been printing on 8.5 x 11 on a home printer and tiling them up with pretty good results. An armature mistake with this is to leave the white margins. This looks like trash, get a straight edge and an exacto blade and trim your shit. It takes time but it's worth it.

The problems I've been having is that inks from home printers tend to bleed after it rains. I like the ideas posted earlier about photo copying, but for color it's just too expensive. Ive been treating my CPU prints with 3M spray sealants and letting them dry for 24 hours before pasting up. This hasn't been working as well as I was hoping. I've had better luck wheat pasting just the backside and edges, and then spraying the whole thing down with spray shalack after it's up. If anyone else has tips for keeping home CPU prints from bleeding I'd love to hear them.

Here is some current shit I'm putting up, it's a composite of the same letter by different writers found in Manhattan:

s_02_walkby.jpg

that's a pretty dope poster fi5e. cclever idea. i don't know about how to protect the 3m stuff. just do black and whites? color em yourself... I dunno. you could try that chap lamination alternative stuff. i forgot what it's called, but it's like sheets of waxy transparent cover and you peel it off and it's sticky as fuck on one side and you really carefully place your paper onto it smoothely. lol or coat the shit in scotch tape. you could try pastig it up and then pressing the clear paper on it, that might help stick it to the wall also...

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-...on/299391/04Q4/ here is one

http://www.office-supplies.us.com/subcategory_553.htm here is another. those should work well enough, looks like you'll be paying close to $50 for a 600 inch roll that's 24 inches wide. I guess that's good for about 100 sheets of 8.5x11 inch paper if you cut the roll down the middle. You can get packs of precut also. I'd suggest saving that stuff for real nice colored ones with good spots you're sute won't get buffed real quick. Hope that helps. Bye the way what is shalak?

Originally posted by dear sas@Oct 30 2004, 09:39 PM

some flicks iv either taken or saved on my comp

the spazmat skull phone. this guy runs posters and big adhesive paper stickers. he works with volcom so that is horriable. but he gets up.

he is up in ny la oc sf. all around.

but fuck that. im gonna take over in the poster world. hahahhahahaha i wish.

Originally posted by docs@Nov 3 2004, 02:20 AM

can you get big ass posters printed anywhere or you have to deal with 8x10 sheets?

kinkos can get them pretty big. around 6 feet. print your image on to a 8 1/2 by 11, with the image taking up the whole paper, then make that into a 100% 11 by 17 at kinkos, then run that 11 by 17 into the big copier and make it 400% and it will run out a print around 6 feet. there kinda sketchy. im telling all you pasteaholics, you gotta get a projector and project the image on the wall of your house, then buy bulk paper, then just tape the paper up to the wall, and trace the image that is being projected and then fill it in with paint. you can go so big with that.

Originally posted by ODS-1@Nov 21 2004, 08:25 PM

These pictures are cool but I don't think they belong here.

meh. i think the ones i post belong. all em but the postal sticker ones. there all wheatpasted. ive been pasting for years. so mine belong homie. but if you werent talking about mine, then i apoligize and have a good day.

Not really sure if that comment was meant for me either!?!?!?

Is there a better place for wheat paste pics??

Or were you saying my picture sucked??

Sorry...we were 3 floors up hangin' of the top of this roof...there were security cameras everywhere....so didn't really have time to snap any real good pics of this mission...but i got tons of paste pics....just thought i read people requesting them!

Originally posted by Justin Kees@Nov 22 2004, 12:09 PM

Not really sure if that comment was meant for me either!?!?!?

Is there a better place for wheat paste pics??

Or were you saying my picture sucked??

Sorry...we were 3 floors up hangin' of the top of this roof...there were security cameras everywhere....so didn't really have time to snap any real good pics of this mission...but i got tons of paste pics....just thought i read people requesting them!

JUSTIN KEES you keep it og man no worrries. you actually know how to put shit up. good spot. if you got more flicks POST EMMMMMMMM. or go on aim and send em to me so i can see them : )

my screen name is pasteanddestroy

Originally posted by wiseguy@Jun 15 2004, 12:42 AM

what do you keep your wheatpaste in while out sticking posters up? i dont imagine that a bucket of wheatpase would be that easy to carry around, it is fairly conspicuous as well, could you put it in some sort of bottle? or would it be too gluggy and thick? how much is actually required to affix an A4 size poster to a wall?

Put it in a soup flask the small ones. it esay to use

• 3 weeks later...