2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, they covered that story in Canada. What I heard was that the dude wasn’t listening carefully enough to the radio broadcast. Then they played the broadcast tape, and there is no way there could be a mistake as to who won the Cup.

This reminds me of when either St. Louis or Lecavalier was asked what can the team do to boost ratings, and he said, wryly, that Floridians would need to stop watching so much wrestling.

Originally posted by Weapon X

This reminds me of when either St. Louis or Lecavalier was asked what can the team do to boost ratings, and he said, wryly, that Floridians would need to stop watching so much wrestling.

HAHAHAHAHA that's great! the parade is happening right now. it's on 30 minutes away. oh well.

^ very interesting. Thank you for enlightening us to that obscure fact. I touched on that just a few posts ago, too.

Really, though. As a Canadian, I can still fathom how basketball, baseball, and football are ahead of hockey in the US, but how is Arena Football ahead of NHL? I just can’t understand the majority of Americans. Even so called sports lovers like Kornheiser and Wilbon from Pardon the Interruption on ESPN refuse to talk about hockey. It makes no sense.

Whatever, big ups to the Original Six, and the other American teams that actually have fans, like Philly, Sabres, Kings, etc. I think they need to relocate certain teams, such as Carolina, back to Canada. BRING BACK THE JETS AND THE NORDIQUES!

Weapon X, on the local sports talk radio here they were saying Cosby Show reruns and arena league football were getting better ratings than the Stanley Cup Finals in the US.

Now that is something i don't understand. these finals were the best in years. Or so I heard. The fucking Cosby Show?

Yeah, luckily CBC didn’t suffer the same fate as ESPN did for the playoffs. Now the NHL has lost a LOT of money since NBC offered very little for TV rights next season. So NBC will be showing Arena Football, as well as NHL (likely daytime) games. We’ll see which league does better.

I read a while ago in the sports pages that when Carolina was playing some other team during the season, the Neilson Ratings were 0 in Carolina. That is the worst rating you can get in TV, and the experts say that it very rarely happens. That night, they say, old reruns of Strong Man competition late at night were getting more ratings. I think it got a 1 or a 2. According to the Toronto Star.

i'm an american who has grown up with hockey and i can't understand how anyone can bash it. it's the single most violent sport yeah, but it's also the fastest, the highest momentum changing sport there is. america's single greatest sports moment is always the miracle. unlike the bigger towns in the northeast that have rinks, minnesota, chicago, michigan, and texas where someone said it was the fastest growing sport, the rest of america refuses to catch on. it's troubling, but while most other sports bore me, i still watch hockey, maybe it's just the other way around for other people. i've had flirtations with golf, tennis, basketball, baseball, and football, never anything long term but as an occasional fan i am still interested and tune in to the championships occasionally. these are also all sports that i've played however, and with the exception of golf or tennis, all sports where it is cheap to play (tennis is a significant time commitment for parents). maybe people here see hockey as elitist, hey, i see golf and tennis that way and i watched them.

That’s a very good point you make, 23578.

Last night, I was watching Off the Record on TSN. It’s a sports discussion show. The guest was Mark Cuban, probably the most charismatic and outspoken owner in sports today. He owns the Dallas Mavericks.

Michael Landsberg, the host, wanted to talk hockey with him, so he mentioned how Cuban almost bought the Penguins a few years ago, before buying the Mavs instead. Landsberg’s main question regarding hockey was how would someone, as much of a genius as Cuban is, make hockey a more popular sport in America.

Cuban gave a three part answer. One, that players make too much money, and that there has to be a new collective bargaining. Two, that ticket prices have to go down in order for people to go check the game. Three, that high definition televisions need to become more popular.

Regarding that third point, he said that when he, as well as many Americans, watches hockey, it’s hard to understand the sport when one can’t see the play develop. On these box televisions, all one can see is the puck, and the couple of players surrounding it. He said that while Canadians (and north east Americans) understand the sport so well that they can pretty much listen to the radio and know where the players are on the ice, most Americans just can’t do that.

So, Cuban says that when HDTVs are popular, which they will be in the coming years, hockey will become highly rated television.

This sounds far fetched, but like the host Michael Landsberg said, “When Cuban talks, I listen.”

By the way, Mark Cuban’s great idea that made him a multi-billionaire is transmitting sound (sportscasts, to be exact) through the internet.

Incidentally, I don’t think a lot of hockey teams market very well. Apparently, the Dallas Stars have some of the highest ticket prices in the league, and they still get sell out crowds. And this is Dallas. Goes to show what some great marketing can do.

2004 NHL Awards

Yeah, they were pretty predictable this year.

Hart Memorial Trophy, MVP - Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay

Vezina Trophy, goaltender - Martin Brodeur, New Jersey

James Norris Memorial Trophy, defenseman - Scott Niedermayer, New Jersey

Calder Memorial Trophy, rookie - Andrew Raycroft, Boston

Frank J. Selke Trophy, defensive forward - Kris Draper, Detroit

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, most gentlemanly - Brad Richards, Tampa Bay

Jack Adams Award, coach - John Tortorella, Tampa Bay

King Clancy Trophy, humanitarian contribution to hockey - Jarome Iginla, Calgary

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, perserverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey - Bryan Berard, Chicago

---

Awards Based on Regular-Season Statistics

Art Ross Trophy, points scoring leader - Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay

Maurice Richard Trophy, goal-scoring leader - Rick Nash, Columbus, Ilya Kovalchuk, Atlanta, and Jarome Iginla, Calgary, 41 goals

William M. Jennings Trophy, goalies with fewest goals against, minimum 25 games - Martin Brodeur, New Jersey

---

Award Voted on by NHL Players' Association

Lester B. Pearson Award, outstanding player - Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay

Yeah, I used to buy that third point of his argument too. And the Dallas thing, you were pointing out that Dallas is in Texas, the roller hockey capital of America, and the home of the Corpus Cristi League, places where people have had the experience of seeing the game live. Brad Maybe, he's got a point there.

Either way, I’m not sure what’s going to happen. I would hate seeing the league contract, but maybe that’s the only way.

Patrick Roy says he would love to see less teams. That way, he says, there would be better talent on the ice, hence, a better product. Me, I’ll watch bantam, I don’t give a fuck. Hockey is one of the most exciting things god has given man; I don’t see how less teams will make anything even more exciting.

But I really do hope that the Jets and Nordiques make a comeback.

Ya, I don't see why everywhere doesn't have a pro hockey team, it's that entertaining. This one town near me got a minor, minor, minor league team, and the whole town went crazy for them, and still does years later, granted that people here know what hockey is.

I have this theory about Tampa Bay.

When I went to a Toronto Phantom (Arena Football League) game last year, I noticed that all the trash came out of the woodwork, mostly from the deep suburbs, whereas if you go to a Leaf game, it’s the upperclass people, mostly (I go to maybe one Leaf game a year).

I’m thinking that in Tampa Bay, most people from the city go to the football games and such, but it’s the trash from the suburbs that go to the hockey games. After all, you might have heard about their controversial plan to sell season tickets with unlimited beer privileges.

Yeah^, whereas the trash from the suburbs an whatnot run the football, and the respectable intelligent city folk run the hockey. The Tampa Bay Lightning are a class act through and through, I wouldn't be surprised to know that they have the savvy to cater to their audience.

Archived