Graff on DVD?

STYLEISKING

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

infamylogoweb.jpg

saber.jpg

jase.jpg

http://www.infamythemovie.com/

Kevin Lewis and Tes Tesfay of Paladin Entertainment, along with Image Entertainment and QD3 Entertainment, are proud to announce the completion of Infamy, a new feature-length documentary film shot and directed by Doug Pray, produced by the 1171 Production Group and Supervising Producer Roger Gastman.

Infamy is an intense journey into the lives, minds, and families of seven individuals who are obsessed with graffiti and follow that obsession into the most unexpected places. Cameras follow Los Angeles legend SABER by night as he dangles on the supports of a billboard hovering twenty stories up, and by day into the city’s Museum of Natural History, where he is featured in an exhibition about the L.A. River. New Yorkers EARSNOT and CLAW cover the City’s surfaces with their tags in the face of their graffiti minority status as openly gay and female, respectively, and then into their jobs as icons in the Downtown fashion scene. Philadelphia’s ENEM and Los Angeles’ TOOMER tour their intricate murals for murdered friends, as well as their rapidly styled tag signatures, which they frankly prefer. San Francisco’s JASE heads to paint freight trains that will take his art throughout North America, then to his day job in graffiti-specialized spray paint distribution. Finally, there’s JOE CONNOLLY “The Graffiti Guerrilla,” who makes the removal of Los Angeles graffiti his daily passion. Woven throughout these individuals’ stories are their families and neighborhoods; and for every preconception of who is a graffiti writer that they fulfill, there’s one that turns out dead wrong.

Infamy director Doug Pray is best known for directing the critically acclaimed feature documentaries Scratch, about hip-hop DJs (Palm Pictures), Hype! about the explosion and exploitation of the Seattle music scene (Lions Gate Entertainment), and for editing the Hughes brothers’ film American Pimp, all of which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. For Infamy, Pray has teamed up with writer, researcher, and creative advisor Roger Gastman, the founder and former editor of While You Were Sleeping magazine, co-founder and editor of the new quarterly magazine Swindle, and author of several books, including Enamelized, Dalek: Nickel Plated Angels, and Free Agents: A History of Washington DC Graffiti. Gastman’s first-hand knowledge of the graffiti world allowed access and trust among the graffiti writers portrayed in the film.

“I didn’t want to make another ‘scene-movie’ or a general overview of subculture and its history. Instead, we’ve set out to create a more hard-hitting, personal portrayal of the pain and joy of being addicted to the only illegal art form there is.” Pray said, adding, “These are intensely passionate individuals, they are incredibly talented at destroying surfaces with spray paint, and they don’t like cameras… What more could you ask for in a subject?”

Infamy will have its world premiere in New York City in mid-September as a part of RESfest before going on to play in over 35 cities around the world. Infamy is executive produced by Kevin Lewis and Tes Tesfay of Paladin Entertainment, Quincy D. Jones III of QD3, and produced by Grant Cihlar and Nancy Cihlar of the 1171 Production Group. Composer Garron Chang wrote and performed much of the music in the film, and this has been added to and remixed by DJ Z-trip, among other contributors. The film was edited by Lasse Jarvi.

feat:saber,toomer,earsnot,jase,claw and more...

• 4 weeks later...

Re: European Graff

I hate European graff, they just. Their clean trains are horrible, there are tight writers that get up in the UK and shit but i think everyone knows what i'm talking about, those gay buble letters and what not.

You fuck, its euro stlye! its supposed tp be like that, its different because what the fuck would graff be if everybody did the same style? Fucking toy...:o

what's up?..can't we get some personal reviews from ya'll who've already seen these DVDs so that some of us can make up our own minds as to whether they'll be worth it to us or not? I mean, I for one aint really trying to buy a DVD with some bullshit ass description targeting suckers when i'm in the dark, then get it and end up being disappointed feeling like I got ripped off.

^^^ I just sat down and watched that today, with 2 other people, and all of us thought it was just tedious.

Writers trying to justify themselves over and over and over for 80 minutes straight. Yo this is what I do, because it's real. I'm creating, trying to express myself. And things of that nature.

The highlights for me was Norm doing that ridiculous roller in the extras, and Grey's funny hairstyle.

Otherwise I'm not sure what the video is trying to do. Is it trying to appeal to the general public, and help the average person understand graffiti? If that's the case, it's way too biased towards graffiti. For example, some genius writer in the movie claims that it costs almost nothing to clean graffiti, implying that city officials lie about the cost. Do the producers ever follow up that claim with anyone in public office or anyone at all? No.

Then it tries to imply that writers could be executed under propositon 21. I personally think elevating graffiti to a felony is just completely fucked, but the video was being too underhanded about it. I'm sure there are respectable liberals/progressives involved in politics that could have presented an effective argument against prop 21, but the filmmakers made it all sensationalistic instead.

Otherwise, if it's trying to appeal to people in the game, we really don't need to hear writer after writer trying to explain their anti-social behavior. We get it, we don't need an explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it wasn't supposed to be anything like that. it was a history lesson. i think it says that in the title. The History Of San Francisco Graffiti. told by writers made by writers.

It is what it is, and now the history of our scene is around the world.

But uh, hate all you want i'm not going to bother criticizing your criticism cause most of it is flat out wrong maybe you didn't understand since you couldn't even grasp the bare reason for the film.

:D

^^^ I just sat down and watched that today, with 2 other people, and all of us thought it was just tedious.

Writers trying to justify themselves over and over and over for 80 minutes straight. Yo this is what I do, because it's real. I'm creating, trying to express myself. And things of that nature.

The highlights for me was Norm doing that ridiculous roller in the extras, and Grey's funny hairstyle.

Otherwise I'm not sure what the video is trying to do. Is it trying to appeal to the general public, and help the average person understand graffiti? If that's the case, it's way too biased towards graffiti. For example, some genius writer in the movie claims that it costs almost nothing to clean graffiti, implying that city officials lie about the cost. Do the producers ever follow up that claim with anyone in public office or anyone at all? No.

Then it tries to imply that writers could be executed under propositon 21. I personally think elevating graffiti to a felony is just completely fucked, but the video was being too underhanded about it. I'm sure there are respectable liberals/progressives involved in politics that could have presented an effective argument against prop 21, but the filmmakers made it all sensationalistic instead.

Otherwise, if it's trying to appeal to people in the game, we really don't need to hear writer after writer trying to explain their anti-social behavior. We get it, we don't need an explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived