the NEW sketch thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

lite colours first, than a very subtle shading of the same colour in a slightly darker pigment, test the colour combo first on a blank page, one wrong step will fuck you up because the colour on the cap of a pen (or any type of paint for that matter) usually does not indicate the true colour of its contents. seriously though, when combining the same shade for a shadow/depth perception subtlety is a MUST. its what you dont see at first that stands out when you look at it closer. same applies to music, sometimes the baseline is hidden but without it people would notice an incredible absence. hope it comes out to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

lite colours first, than a very subtle shading of the same colour in a slightly darker pigment, test the colour combo first on a blank page, one wrong step will fuck you up because the colour on the cap of a pen (or any type of paint for that matter) usually does not indicate the true colour of its contents. seriously though, when combining the same shade for a shadow/depth perception subtlety is a MUST. its what you dont see at first that stands out when you look at it closer. same applies to music, sometimes the baseline is hidden but without it people would notice an incredible absence. hope it comes out to your satisfaction.

im aware of these things, but it just never turns out how i imagine.

i usually try to lay down the light/base color, and then ill shade over it for the darker areas with different shades of gray, to just slightly darken the color.

is that wrong? or maybe i just suck hahaha

http://www.rebekahlynn.com/free/tutorial/shading_tutorial.html

^^^rather basic overall but got some good things if you have trouble with shading

for shading color you may want to do some reading on color theory since the same rules apply as B&W shading but you just need to know when you want to use white or grey or black to shade and when you want to use something like adding a dark brown into a blue to make a darker tone, or adding green into a yellow to make your mid tones

that all takes practice, but from what i saw in the above link that website should give you atleast a basic understanding on what you want to achieve