INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

Ive got a heavy mix of some shit i got out some pens and ink cartiges but its a little watery what can i use (house hold shit) to beef it up. Also in my mop why do i have to use a filter thing why cant it just be free flowing? if i use cotton wool for a filter will the in still flow out proper?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by slimeuk

Ive got a heavy mix of some shit i got out some pens and ink cartiges but its a little watery what can i use (house hold shit) to beef it up. Also in my mop why do i have to use a filter thing why cant it just be free flowing? if i use cotton wool for a filter will the in still flow out proper?

1. Powder thickens ink right up.

2. I've always assumed you add a filler in order for the marker not to overflow and flood out if you ever had it upside down, or filled to the top and sideways. If you use those cotton swabs, the ink should still be able to flow slightly rather than be completely absorbed and not flow. Cotton and wool are two different materials, cotton is more absorbant since it is a plant, so I don't know what you mean by "cotton wool".

THE REAL STUFF

FORGET ABOUT MIXING STUFF TOGETHER....THE CHEMISTS THAT MAKE PERMANENT INK, TRY TO MAKE IT AS PERMANENT AS POSSIBLE. A 12 YEAR OLD KID WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ENHANCE MOST INKS. IT IS A WASTE OF TIME, MONEY AND IT IS A MESS.

IF YOU WANT ULTRA PERMANENT DYE TYPE INK FOR A GOOD PRICE AND YOU HAVE 25 BUCKS TO SPEND. THEN GET YOURSELF TWO PINTS OF VIOLET GARVEY. IT STAINS LIKE A BITCH. IT IS DRIPPY AS HELL, GOOD FOR MOPS OR FLOWPENS OR WHATEVER.

JUST GO TO GARVEY...MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CREDIT CARD.

THIS IS THE BEST. IT CAN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS.

IF THEY ARE THAT HELL BENT ON BUFFING YOUR STUFF, THEY WILL GET IT OFF REGARDLESS.

BUT, THIS STAINS....EVEN IF YOU PAINT OVER IT, IT STILL SHOWS.

I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR 20 YEARS AND IT IS ALL I USE FOR DRIPS AND MOPS.

GARVEY INK....CLICK HERE

Originally posted by slimeuk

You know cotton wool that white fluffy stuff thats girls use to take there make up off would that work? and why type of powder coz right now all i can think of is talc :P

Powders... There's all kinds. Some will help your ink, some won't do shit for the permanency. There's Methylene Blue, Gentian Violet, Rit Dye, Pearl Ex, and no doubt others that I've never heard of.

Originally posted by OMEN TWO

OOOPS, I MADE A MISTAKE. THE PERSON I TOLD ABOUT GARVEY HAS ALREADY GOT YOU GUYS HIP TO IT.

GOOD.

GOOD LUCK AND STAY UP

If you didn't tell me I probably wouldn't have ever bought that shit. Thanks for hyping shit up. Definitely the best shit I've used since Fiebing's...

It sounds like cotton wool would work fine.

Rit Dye is fairly abundant in households, atleast in the US.

There's really no exact amount for you to add. How thin your ink is now and how thick you want it should determine how much you want to add.

By the way, I am not recommending Rit for anything other than thickening up that ink...

Originally posted by chumbawumba

How would I go about getting the felt out of the pilot? I've tried jabbing it with knifes and forks and it didn't even slightly tear :(

I don't understand why you'd want to get rid of that felt; without it, all the ink leaks through the corners of the nib everytime you take off the cap and causes a huge fucking mess.

Originally posted by earo 35

hey rubbish, have you ever worked with white out in you recipes, if so, give some examples, i got like 8 bottles stashed in my bag and i want to know if i could use it..............is it just me or are there alot of new people on this site?? usually there would be a new member every 2 days, but now theres new members every 2 or 3 hours...:confused:

Can't say I've ever used it, I'm pretty sure it's oil based but not positive on that.

Although, it does seem like a decent idea. It'd probably come out sticky on the wall, kinda like a streak. I would say, give it a go and throw it in a mop.

There's new members all the time.

Originally posted by alphredrock

What color of Fiebings do you guys reccomend.. thanks bro.. Hella!

Purple... And if you can't find that, Red.

Originally posted by fuck muni

WHATS UP WITH THAT GARVEY SHIT...ONLY VIOLET STAINS? IT SEEMS LIKE ONLY THE PURPLE COLORS STAIN FOR OTHER INKS TOO....

I honestly don't know if purple is the only staining color. But you are right about alot of purple colors staining... There's purple Garvey, Purple Fiebing's, Purple Grocery Store ink, Purple Additive. I think it has something to do with the pigments. White colors never seem to stain, black colors can stain some, and purple just kills, it seems.

Either way, I'm sticking with the purple Garv... shit is great.

Originally posted by $max$

does paint thinner mix with all oil based inks? and on top of that will brake fluid mix with paint thinner and oil based paint?

also were can u find this fielbings stuff at? thanks a bunch

1. Yes, paint thinner (mineral spirits) will mix with all oil based paints.

2. Yeah, Brake Fluid works.

3. http://www.fiebings.com/find.asp . The product is leather dye.

I heard somewhere (dont recall where.. pg perhaps) that it doesnt make a mess if you cover that shit in duct tape when you take the felt out and you get a hell of a juicy nib. Dunno just felt like experimenting instead of always asking you stuff I just needed help on the first step haha. Oh yeah -

http://www.whitey-ford.com/imagestore/ink.JPG'>

Came today, bizznatch :cool: I added some to a black pilot until it went up over the felt a little then held the thing upside down while it dripped out, I couldn't see much of a difference in the color but I hope it stains as good as I hear :D

NOT ONLY DOES THE VIOLET GARVEY WORK WELL. BUT, THE BLUE STAINS JUST AS GOOD.

THE ONLY PROBLEM ABOUT BLUE GARVEY IS YOU HAVE TO GET IT BY THE CASE....OR HALF PINT CONTAINERS FOR ABOUT 12 BUCKS EACH.

I HAVE TRIED THE BLACK, RED AND GREEN. BUT THE BLUE AND VIOLET HAVE A DIFFERENT COMPONENT IN THE DYE THAT IS USED TO MAKE THOSE COLORS...MAKING IT REALLY HARD TO BUFF.

THE OTHER COLORS ARE OK...BUT THEY ARE ONLY GOOD FOR MOPS, NOT REGULAR MARKERS. THE OTHER COLORS HAVE TO BE APPLIED HEAVILY TO STAND OUT.

YOUR BEST BET IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR BLACK, IS BLACK MARSH "DYE TYPE." IF FLOWS AND IT STAINS....IT ALSO SHINES...PLUS, YOU CAN GET A PINT FOR ABOUT 15 BUCKS. GRIFFIN HAS THAT FLAT LOOK TO IT AND IT KIND OF SUCKS. IT SOMETIMES SPREADS OUT WHEN YOU WRITE ON CERTAIN SURFACES.

GRIFFIN SHOE DYE CAN BE BOUGHT FOR A $1.99 IN MOST PLACES...I GUESS IF YOU ARE BROKE, IT IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

BUT, STICK WITH VIOLET GARVEY...IT STAINS, IT FLOWS...IT LOOKS ELECTRIC AND IT IS A GOOD DEAL IF YOU GET IT STRAIGHT FROM THE GARVEY SUPPLY COMPANY.

15 BUCKS FOR A PINT IS A PRETTY GOOD PRICE FOR THE BEST INK ON THE MARKET.

Originally posted by fuck muni

anyone kno if garvey stains harder than feibings or griffin?

I know that violet Garvey stains alot harder than Griffin. What I don't know is whether it stains harder than Fiebing's. I haven't used Fiebing's in a long time - and when I did, I had red, not purple (the store in my area doesn't have purple... fuckers).

I added some to a black pilot until it went up over the felt a little then held the thing upside down while it dripped out, I couldn't see much of a difference in the color but I hope it stains as good as I hear :D

Myself, before I refill a pilot I get it dried up by using it for a little bit, and than add the new ink.

But I've just been putting the Garvey into mops or Zig containers so it doesn't dilute with anything else.

Originally posted by OMEN TWO

YOUR BEST BET IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR BLACK, IS BLACK MARSH "DYE TYPE." IF FLOWS AND IT STAINS....IT ALSO SHINES...PLUS, YOU CAN GET A PINT FOR ABOUT 15 BUCKS. GRIFFIN HAS THAT FLAT LOOK TO IT AND IT KIND OF SUCKS. IT SOMETIMES SPREADS OUT WHEN YOU WRITE ON CERTAIN SURFACES.

GRIFFIN SHOE DYE CAN BE BOUGHT FOR A $1.99 IN MOST PLACES...I GUESS IF YOU ARE BROKE, IT IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

OMEN, my question for you is, have you used the Marsh T-Grade Pigment? If so, how is the flow and is it actually more perm. than the Dye?

Also, was Marsh T-Grade more permanent back in the day when it was lead based, because I have access to some old school Marsh.. for a price.

Myself, before I refill a pilot I get it dried up by using it for a little bit, and than add the new ink.

Ah, do you think that the Garvey stain has been diluted? Oh well, I guess this will be my little experiment now :crazy: I have just purchased three 4oz bottles of purple fiebings off eBay because I can't get it around here. Is it so good that I should purchase more? The seller has 7 bottles available, and also a 32oz bottle :P

edit -

Methylene Blue - Fish Anti-Fungal? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=20756

Ah, do you think that the Garvey stain has been diluted? Oh well, I guess this will be my little experiment now :crazy: I have just purchased three 4oz bottles of purple fiebings off eBay because I can't get it around here. Is it so good that I should purchase more? The seller has 7 bottles available, and also a 32oz bottle :p

edit -

Methylene Blue - Fish Anti-Fungal? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=20756

Glad to see you experimenting. Yeah, the Garvey probably did get somewhat diluted if it doesn't come out violet. I'm going to see if my shop will special order purple Fiebing's... and Methylene Blue, if you're going to get that shit off eBay... make sure it's powder...

Originally posted by rubbish heap

OMEN, my question for you is, have you used the Marsh T-Grade Pigment? If so, how is the flow and is it actually more perm. than the Dye?

Also, was Marsh T-Grade more permanent back in the day when it was lead based, because I have access to some old school Marsh.. for a price.

WELL, THE BEST INK ASIDE FROM GARVEY WAS FLOMASTER AND MARSH CAME IN SECOND....BACK THEN, MARSH AND FLOMASTER HAD EVERY SINGLE COLOR OF LEAD BASED PIGMENT DYE INK AND REALLY GOOD OPAQUE/OPEC INK. THEY HAD SILVER, GOLD, COPPER, WHITE, GREEN, BLUE, RED, PURPLE, PINK, ETC; THEN IF YOU MIXED WHITE WITH PURPLE, YOU HAD A REALLY COOL LOOKING COLOR. THEY WERE ALL HARD TO BUFF...EVEN ON GLASS.

WE WERE NOT ABLE TO GET GARVEY THAT EASY...UNLESS YOU WORKED AT A SUPERMARKET OR WERE ABLE TO STEAL IT FROM THE SUPPLIES AREA AT THE MANAGES DESK AT THE MARKET...IT WAS A TREAT TO GET IT...9 OUT OF 10 TIMES THE CONTAINER WAS ALREADY OPEN AND STAINED....BUT BEING MARSH AND FLOMASTER WAS SO GOOD AND EASY TO GET AT THE LOCAL GRAFF STORE ON BROADWAY...WE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT USING SHOE DYE LIKE GRIFFIN, UNLESS WE ONLY HAD 69 CENTS TO SPEND. OR WE JUST STOLE IT TO DO TOY TAGS...BECAUSE IT WAS SO CHINSY.

THE MARSH AND FLOMASTER WAS KEPT BEHIND GLASS IN PINT AND 4OZ CONTAINERS. SO WE WOULD GET A FEW CANS OF EACH COLOR.

NOW MARSH HAS VERY FEW PAINT TYPE INK COLORS NOWADAYS. BUT, I HAVE BEEN USING THE BLACK MARSH DYE TYPE T-GRADE INK AND IT REALLY SMELLS STRONG, IT STAINS GOOD AND IT IS BETTER THAN ANY GRIFFIN, OTR .407 HARD TO BUFF OR NERO INK...THE NERO AND OTR INKS ARE OVER PRICED...YOU ONLY GET HALF A PINT OR LESS FOR OVER 10 BUCKS AND WITH THE MARSH YOU CAN GET A WHOLE PINT FOR 15 BUCKS. IT DRIPS WELL, IT WORKS WELL IN ALL MARKERS AND MOPS AND IT LOOKS LIKE ENAMEL ONCE IT DRIES....SO, I WOULD GO WITH THE MARSH DYE TYPE, IF YOU WANT GOOD BLACK INK....EITHER WAY, IT WILL GET BUFFED REGARDLESS HOW STRONG THE INK IS...IF THEY ARE THAT HELL BENT ON BUFFING IT, THEY WILL USE A SAND BLASTER OR WHATEVER...LOL

SO PEOPLE SHOULD STOP WASTING THEIR TIME MIXING UP INK AND JUST GET GOOD INK...IT MAKES THINGS ALOT EASIER AND LESS MESSY.

SPEND MORE TIME ON YOUR HANDSTYLE...IF YOU HAVE GOOD INK...YOU WILL BE OK.

:cool:

Ebay! Hey rubbish - can the feibings stain compare to garvey at all? Is it nearly as good? I just forked over 23 bucks for 4 bottles of it so it better haha. Oh yeah I got the pilot writing in violet, I just did the process like 7 more time and I guess it took the black all out :) Peace.

Ebay! Hey rubbish - can the feibings stain compare to garvey at all? Is it nearly as good? I just forked over 23 bucks for 4 bottles of it so it better haha. Oh yeah I got the pilot writing in violet, I just did the process like 7 more time and I guess it took the black all out :) Peace.

Originally posted by rubbish heap

I know that violet Garvey stains alot harder than Griffin. What I don't know is whether it stains harder than Fiebing's. I haven't used Fiebing's in a long time - and when I did, I had red, not purple (the store in my area doesn't have purple... fuckers).

Being I told rubbish about Garvey in the first place and he has been doing a good job letting you guys in on it.

I can personally say, after using Garvey for over 25 years. There is really nothing you can compare to it. It is made for putting prices directly on things like metal and glass and it is made not to come off or smudge off.

feibings is a leather dye...not price stamping ink. So of course Garvey is going to be somewhat better for graff writing than leather dye. Although if you can't get your hands on Garvey...and you are looking for a staining "dye" type ink, feibings will have to do. It stains and works OK. But, just keep it in mind it is made mainly for leather, it is not stamping type ink dye.

If you bought fiebings you should be satisfied with the outcome though.

But, nothing can compare to Garvey violet/blue.

There is just something about the way they make it, that makes it extremely hard to come off things...even on glass and metal.

fiebings can be rubbed off glass and metal with basic paint thinner type solvents. If you tag on acrylic type plastics like the kind of glass that is used on buses and subways, Garvey will be a bitch to get off compared to fiebings, unless you are tagging on a porous type surface.

Don't bother mixing. Just get one of these inks and bomb and practice your handstyle.

You can't go wrong with the below Ink/Dye. Just Bomb!!!!!!

Fiebings Leather Dye....Click Here

Garvey Ink...Click Here

Krink Silver Ink...Click Here

Marsh T-Grade Dye Type Ink...Click Here

Whatever works for you....in time you will focus more on your handstyle then mixing up different inks. The name of the game is style and getting up. If you mix up ink...mix up ink that will give you a fresh color like white with purple, or white with red....always use white as your base and add just one color, like green, blue, red, purple. You are not going to make it any more permanent, if that is what is what you are trying to do.

The chemists that have been making ink for years and years make it as permanent as possible. If there was a way to make it more permanent...they would do it. Some ink is better than others...that's all.

If you have garbage ink like indian ink or some bullshit....then I can see trying to improve it. If you have top notch ink...your best bet is to just leave it alone and get up.

That is how I see it...everyone is different though.

Plus, if a person is on a mission to buff your tags....it is going to get buffed regardless of what you use. Mixing up ink, like trying to enhance Garvey will just fuck up the original components of the ink...and you wind up with shitty wasted ink.

But, if that is your thing...then go for it.

Soon you will realize getting up and improving your handstyle is the most important part of graff.

Stay up.:cool: