INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a couple questions

first off, does anyone know if kilz exterior is oil or latex based?

also, can i use my bullshit rit dye to tint an oil based paint?

and lastly, does anyone know of any good uses for shoe cream? the kind that comes in a little glass jar. im hoping i can just mix it with some paint thinner so it becomes a liquid istead of the goopy shit it is now.

thanks

Originally posted by 6OF1

OK, DOT-3 is corrosive, which is different than oxidation. It's more like the action of a weak acid. That's why it takes a while for brake fluid to ghost a surface and also why some surfaces don't seem to ghost even with DOT-3.

Potassium permanganate is an oxidiser that just happens to stain the shit out of just about anything... :dazed:

Be seeing you.

So basically if you want stains potass perm is the best.. one question powder or crystals for potency??

to awnser my own questions....

kilz exterior is oil based

i mixed some old green rit with some paint i had in an old mop, and it just clumped up. i also added thinner though, and i dotn know if the paint was oil or latex

still dont know about the shoe cream.

always remember ...

acetone will melt the shit out of plastic and you will have a huge mess everywhere

Originally posted by johndoe

6of1 which potassium permaganate would you suggest getting. http://www.pondrx.com/shop/details.php?pro...ctId=26&catId=3

http://sciencekit.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_440817

if u kno anywhere better to get it, it would be appreciated to post it.

Definitely get the stuff that's $20 a pound. It is supposed to be cheap and you don't need reagent quality, right?

Be seeing you.

BTW, I buy mine at Lowes.

Originally posted by CrazyLazy

Yeah. But I think he's got some competition on the block.

Not competition -- we just share a love of ink.

When the tip hits and the shit starts to flow the bottom drops out of my stomach and it's almost too much, you know?

I like to get up and stay up, so I've taken the time to write shit down and watch what works and doesn't work.

Be seeing you.

Re: a couple questions

Originally posted by blahh

first off, does anyone know if kilz exterior is oil or latex based?

also, can i use my bullshit rit dye to tint an oil based paint?

and lastly, does anyone know of any good uses for shoe cream? the kind that comes in a little glass jar. im hoping i can just mix it with some paint thinner so it becomes a liquid istead of the goopy shit it is now.

thanks

Kilz is oil. Dunno on Kilz2, though. I've never found a good use for it because it takes so looooong to dry. Good for priming test surfaces or testing if your tag will bleed through, though. Kilz is what most coverup is done in.

Use the straight RIT powder to tint the paint, but it would take some hella mixing. Should work, though.

I doubt you'll find any use for the shoe cream. It will probably separate and clot up when you try to thin it with anything. Use it on yer boots, slapnuts. :)

Be seeing you.

Originally posted by completionz

So basically if you want stains potass perm is the best.. one question powder or crystals for potency??

The absolute cheapest permanganate is what you want. The $20 a pound stuff from the first link in the earlier post is what you want. Get it at just about any home supply type place in the water softener supplies section. Shit, I've even bought it at K-Mart.

Shouldn't make a difference crystals or powder, but powder dissolves a lot better!

It definitely wouldn't hurt to add dye and oxidiser to any ink.

Be seeing you.

Re: to awnser my own questions....

Originally posted by blahh

kilz exterior is oil based

i mixed some old green rit with some paint i had in an old mop, and it just clumped up. i also added thinner though, and i dotn know if the paint was oil or latex

still dont know about the shoe cream.

always remember ...

acetone will melt the shit out of plastic and you will have a huge mess everywhere

Good idea. Acetone attacks HDPE and other plastics, so watch it. However, acetone is hella useful. The only thing more useful to us is denatured alcohol. If you don't have at least a pint of DA, you're wasting some time and effort. Now, acetone will allow you to mix things that might not ordinarily mix. For instance, say you have a petroleum that you want to mix with an alcohol and they just keep separating. Add a little acetone and shake. If they still separate just add a little more acetone and keep it up until they don't. Acetone is an "additive" solvent -- meaning it will combine things that normally won't.

Be seeing you.

Originally posted by rubbish heap

well, i just got back from vacation.

i wasn't really expecting much from this thread... 6OF1, you've officially revived it. i'm now optimistic again... thanks.

keep it up.

And I haven't even posted an actual recipe yet! :D

Soon...

Be seeing you.

Re: neon krink

Originally posted by vela

i was wondring if some one knows where and if it is even possible to get a hold of some neon colored rustoleum bucket paint so i could try to make some neon colored ink that wouldn't suck

it wouldn't be called krink.

Re: Re: to awnser my own questions....

Good idea. Acetone attacks HDPE and other plastics, so watch it. However, acetone is hella useful. The only thing more useful to us is denatured alcohol. If you don't have at least a pint of DA, you're wasting some time and effort. Now, acetone will allow you to mix things that might not ordinarily mix. For instance, say you have a petroleum that you want to mix with an alcohol and they just keep separating. Add a little acetone and shake. If they still separate just add a little more acetone and keep it up until they don't. Acetone is an "additive" solvent -- meaning it will combine things that normally won't.

Be seeing you.

Whats the difference between isopropyl and denatured alcohol?

also where can i get denatured?

Originally posted by johndoe

wow thanks for all the info 6of1, but i heard they have potassium permanganate in hardware type stores such as lowes only in areas that have wells, may i ask if you have wells in your area?

I live in WV -- of course we got wells! I live in a city, but there are quite a few rural areas left and wells are common.

However, you should be able to find PP in any Lowes or such store...

Be seeing you.

Re: neon krink

Originally posted by vela

i was wondring if some one knows where and if it is even possible to get a hold of some neon colored rustoleum bucket paint so i could try to make some neon colored ink that wouldn't suck

I'm not aware of any neon (daylight fluorescent) Rusto bucket.

Go to www.rustoleum.com and look at the colours for yourself.

Be seeing you.

Re: Re: Re: to awnser my own questions....

Originally posted by completionz

Whats the difference between isopropyl and denatured alcohol?

also where can i get denatured?

Iso is a different isomer -- unless you want a long chemistry lesson, just say it is a different kind of alcohol.

Denatured is available in any place that sells paint -- look where they have the paint thinner and such.

You can use DA to make your own ink.

When I'm at my house, I'll post my recipe that I've been using for years. Matter of fact, I got a marker filled with it right now. For those of you that can't afford or find Garvey, it is just as good...

Be seeing you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: to awnser my own questions....

Iso is a different isomer -- unless you want a long chemistry lesson, just say it is a different kind of alcohol.

Denatured is available in any place that sells paint -- look where they have the paint thinner and such.

You can use DA to make your own ink.

When I'm at my house, I'll post my recipe that I've been using for years. Matter of fact, I got a marker filled with it right now. For those of you that can't afford or find Garvey, it is just as good...

Be seeing you.

Last question: ive made ink out of iso alco would there any difference if i used dena alco?

Originally posted by chumbawumba

This has been said before but I'll say it again. Don't add any of that powder shit to Garvey because it will just fuck it up..

don't knock it til you've tried it, that shit staains ;)

my mix - small amount of black nero, garvey & methylene blue.

i'll use straight garvey and get back to you though.

Guest sneak
Originally posted by CheechNChong

maybe this was already answered, but i was NOT gonna read through 36 pages of posts. Has anyone used the On The Run ink before? Is it any good? Id appreciate any and all info anybody has on this. thanks

if you dont have the time to look, why should one of us take the time to help you?

what goes around comes around