Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Jussi that is soo sick nasty man, I would most def. buy that.

that stencil is cool definitely. took some time and some cutting skills.

but so what?

its just a cut out photo.

is the point to be like..HEY LOOK I TOOK 30 hours making little xacto cuts? its something anyone who can cut shit up with a sharp little blade and a lot of hours can do exactly the same.

i really dont get it.

to me its not creative at all. its something a machine could do. if it was a creation of your own you made into a stencil..i get that. its your original idea you wanted to make into a stencil. but a stencil of a photo? why? thats what the photo is for.

im not being an asshole but some little son on here will probably call me a hater or an asshole or some little kid bullshit.

im asking a legit quesrtion.

whats the point? doing it just to prove you can do it??

go for it...

• Like 1

I agree with your Rolling Nowhere, while it must have taken ages and certainly looks good, it is unoriginal and there is nothing in it that makes it standout as something special, apart from the time and cleanliness of it. It is just clinical anhd not creative to me.

You could just as easily created that effect in PS or some other computer graphic programme.

Not hating on Jussi, fairplay for doing what you enjoy, I just don't see it as anything different.

i dont think he took the strenuous time and effort for practicality. obviously, you can make that same "effect" in PS or some shit, but cant you also do the same with some abstract or even OP art? I feel like the art of that great stencil canvas is the actual process, not the outcome.

just my two cents.

but so what?

is the point to be like..HEY LOOK I TOOK 30 hours making little xacto cuts? its something anyone who can cut shit up with a sharp little blade and a lot of hours can do exactly the same.

i really dont get it.

to me its not creative at all. its something a machine could do. if it was a creation of your own you made into a stencil..i get that. its your original idea you wanted to make into a stencil. but a stencil of a photo? why? thats what the photo is for.

im not being an asshole but some little son on here will probably call me a hater or an asshole or some little kid bullshit.

go for it...

okay okay i see where you're coming from. i used to think the same thing, but stenciling is some fucking clean crafty ass shit. you gotta be mad careful and have some decent experience.

speaking on behalf of someone who never uses stencils in my paintings I have to say when I seen this one definitely stood out from most stencil art.

you got to be mad hating not to call this art.

photography is kinda like art?

picking the photo and the composition is art.

I dunno, all im saying is ive seen ALOT lamer excuses for art in gallerys

Im no stencil artist myself but ive tried it a bit and so i got respect for people who can do it well.

and to answer your question with another question, why not just blow up a High-res photo of a persons portrait instead of chuck close spending his entire life trying to put every last wrinkle and hair in to make it completely photo realistic when the photo is already that way.

4573740745_c7a573e664_b.jpg

thanks for commenting you all, lots of good points. I kind of agree with rolling nowhere and decyferon too, that stencilling is not too creative if it is just cutting some random pics without putting own artistic touch in to those. Especially if you don’t take the original pics yourself…or if there is no idea behind that stencil piece.

On the other hand, my aim is most def NOT to do something by hand what a camera and printer could do. If you’re doing a painting, there is no sense competing with machines.

In this piece, for instance, there is a lots of stuff what I have added to original pic before cutting the stencils. I usually take the original pics too, but in this case I got some really nice pics that my friend had taken in nyc in ’85 so I used those. This is my first piece from my upcoming ‘my NY dream’ series and all these upcoming paintings will eventually form a cohesive story. This painting is kind of only one scene of that story.

I also try to paint my stuff so that they look photorealistic but PAINTED. I like to play with surface too, like in this case the surface is not dead even. To me this adds also the effect that you could’t do this piece with any other method than via stencilling. Off course it’s impossible see all this stuff in a small pic on computer screen. (Actual size of this piece is 145cm by 96cm (57" by 38")).

This must be the longest post I have ever posted to any forum. haha.

FLICKR - JussiTwoSeven.com

• Like 1

but so what?

i really dont get it.

go for it...

Why does it have to be about proving anything....

Can't one just create for the pure enjoyment of doing so?

Maybe he likes getting down with an exacto.

but so what?

i really dont get it.

go for it...

i dont think you quite understand the amount of work that goes into making a multi layer stencil. taking into account where each layer will overlap...which order to spray the layers...its a lot more than just cutting out a photoshopped picture. and yes you can make this effect in photoshop, but you lose an incredible amount of detail...its obvious that there was a great amount of hand drawn lines and cuts put into that subway stencil. its fine if its not your thing, but dont put down people that do put in the tremendous amount of work that goes into multi-layer stencils like that. dont hate on art until you can do something better yourself, which i'm sure you cant.

I think its amazing, hands down no one can say that subway piece is lacking complexity... furthermore it can't be anything but sick , and spot on.... i disagree with the multi-layered stencil is hard to pull off... just make a pilot hole and number them bitches....iunno

it sick...

What is the size of that piece, and want to trade?