ASKEW TMD-SUK (NEW ZEALAND)

????

everyones entitled to their own opinions,

but askew kills it and thats a fact.

fuck this shit about who came first with what.

its graff. everything had been done under the

sun long before graffiti was even conceived,

so you're just splittin hairs. the guy paints squeaky

clean, has solid letters, balanced word composition,

great color selection and does something different

almost everytime. what more can you ask?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
everyones entitled to their own opinions,

but askew kills it and thats a fact.

fuck this shit about who came first with what.

its graff. everything had been done under the

sun long before graffiti was even conceived,

so you're just splittin hairs. the guy paints squeaky

clean, has solid letters, balanced word composition,

great color selection and does something different

almost everytime. what more can you ask?

You could ask Askew to stop cannibalising other peoples style maybe? You could ask him to at least be vocal about acknowledging where it's all come from? God forbid, you could even ask him to come up with something of his own? How about that fanboy?

You could ask Askew to stop cannibalising other peoples style maybe? You could ask him to at least be vocal about acknowledging where it's all come from? God forbid, you could even ask him to come up with something of his own? How about that fanboy?

very little in graff ISNT "cannabalised". Smash has "cannabalised" plenty.

Its classic letter structure used for decades now, with his own twist on it. Same for askew, classic letters with his own twist. How about that fanboy?

I aint trying to get all involved with the back and forth here but I'm just gonna say that when I would visit this thread it was nothing but positive. No one had shit to say about shit until they read some interview with Smash. All that shows is that you're all followers. Smash came out of his face, sounded really arrogant and played himself, in my opinion. Mainly because Smash's style is not original to begin with. His style is based off of classic NYC lettering foundation. He added his own twist to it, but he didn't invent anything. At the end of the day, dude was crying because someone outined their piece with a fat cap.

Wow, I'm not too sure how to react to a lot of what is being said, neither the positive or the negative.. I thought a few times about getting on the defense but seriously, I can't think of anything that can be said to improve the situation so I'm just doing what i know best.. I keep painting. If you read my blog, the link was posted up above you will see I'm very quick to give props to people that took time to teach me things. It's hard to say everything I want to say in a concise way but I will get there...

In the mean time, just a progress shot of a piece I finally (pretty much) finished today..

4439685342_2025f045ed_o.jpg

And a sketch I did for a recent print..

4439019219_f13a9073ca_o.jpg

what's with all this bickering and hating for. Askew has put in a ton of work and has progressed to a veteran writer at a young age. Why don't you guys worry about your own work and go sketch and paint instead of all the hating. If you have any doubts about the guy then click away...it's that easy. I don't think Askew has ever come off cocky and has always been very articulate in presenting his work. Check out his site to see his timeline. This guy is humble as hell and its ridiculous that you guys are going to be schoolgirls and ruin this thread. You all should be glad he even takes the time to post here for you guys to enjoy. Thats why I don't even bother coming to this site anymore...

Who blames the Internet for detracting from the legitimacy of graffiti, then uses a platform like an ONLINE interview designed to showcase their own graffiti, to diss not only another writer but a whole demographic of writers in New Zeland... Bump Askew, Smash is good too. But kind of put the 'ho' in homie on that one.

what up big E. that wall is fucking sick. you said it right, no matter what people say good or bad, just keep painting. i wish i could come there and rock something out with you. maybe one day. anyways shit looks dope. take care man. melvin from detroit.

very little in graff ISNT "cannabalised". Smash has "cannabalised" plenty.

Its classic letter structure used for decades now, with his own twist on it. Same for askew, classic letters with his own twist. How about that fanboy?

This kind of argument seems to rear its ugly head more and more these days. It's essence is this; All graffiti is influenced from somewhere which makes it a mute point to say someone is 'biting', therefore it is acceptable to copy other peoples style. This problem with this perspective that it ignores degree's of influence taken, contribution to development of the style, and overall progress away from someone else's style.

Of course all graffiti has similarities, it would not be graffiti if it didn't. However, acknowledging this does not give you licence to go and copy an Atom or a Smash piece (for example). While it has never been acceptable to take multiple elements of someone else's style (without their permission), a natural level of common influence is expected, like a kick on a letter, or a general colour scheme. This kind of influence would rarely be responded to as biting. In contrast taking more than this kind of low level influence would be.

Subsequently if you do then take some kind of influence you are expected to develop it. Just taking an idea from someone else and continually rehashing it is not really acceptable. If you do take influence from another writer I would say you almost owe it to them to evolve it into something new and individual to you, therefore moving away from the original. Failure to do this would leave you closer to biting rather than influencing territory.

Parts of these ideas are relevant to Askew, others not so. But I am sick of reading such a fucking stupid argument that 'everyone takes influence so all style is fair game'. The consequence of this kind of argument is that toys get to capitalise of the hard work of style pioneers without the need to pay respect or give credit.

This kind of argument seems to rear its ugly head more and more these days. It's essence is this; All graffiti is influenced from somewhere which makes it a mute point to say someone is 'biting', therefore it is acceptable to copy other peoples style. This problem with this perspective that it ignores degree's of influence taken, contribution to development of the style, and overall progress away from someone else's style.

Of course all graffiti has similarities, it would not be graffiti if it didn't. However, acknowledging this does not give you licence to go and copy an Atom or a Smash piece (for example). While it has never been acceptable to take multiple elements of someone else's style (without their permission), a natural level of common influence is expected, like a kick on a letter, or a general colour scheme. This kind of influence would rarely be responded to as biting. In contrast taking more than this kind of low level influence would be.

Subsequently if you do then take some kind of influence you are expected to develop it. Just taking an idea from someone else and continually rehashing it is not really acceptable. If you do take influence from another writer I would say you almost owe it to them to evolve it into something new and individual to you, therefore moving away from the original. Failure to do this would leave you closer to biting rather than influencing territory.

Parts of these ideas are relevant to Askew, others not so. But I am sick of reading such a fucking stupid argument that 'everyone takes influence so all style is fair game'. The consequence of this kind of argument is that toys get to capitalise of the hard work of style pioneers without the need to pay respect or give credit.

I like you.

What happened to the original outburst of calling askew a cannibaliser of others style?

From what I've seen, ASKEW has had many pieces of individual style, dating back years. Also, it seems that the people he's taken influence from are people he paints with.

Youd be an idiot to think he hasn't helped the progression of those who he takes from(whether they like it or not) and therefore ultimately, the style that's being pushed..

You may not like his style as much as others..

You may not like the attention he gets compared to others..

From the range of askew pieces ive seen your argument isnt valid when it comes to calling him a biter, by your said views.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

What happened to the original outburst of calling askew a cannibaliser of others style?

From what I've seen, ASKEW has had many pieces of individual style, dating back years. Also, it seems that the people he's taken influence from are people he paints with.

Youd be an idiot to think he hasn't helped the progression of those who he takes from(whether they like it or not) and therefore ultimately, the style that's being pushed..

You may not like his style as much as others..

You may not like the attention he gets compared to others..

From the range of askew pieces ive seen your argument isnt valid when it comes to calling him a biter, by your said views.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ohh noooo! You got me with my own logic!!!

hahah

Its very simple kid, and I will correct you since you are wrong. First matey bit Daim and Loomit, then Atom and Can2, then Smash with a bit of Revok in the mix. Now Ill be the first to say he did very it well, but its painfully clear that he has taken a lot more than he contributed. It also doesn't really matter if he has imitated the people he has painted with or not. Askew is a big boy and should be able to get some of his own shit going.

Since Askew is putting himself out there as a style writer, rather than a bomber, or a train painter, then that is the platform he will be judged on. Call me traditional but in my book good style writers are style pioneers not technically minded imitators.

Anyway I'm out. I don't care enough to get caught in some huge back and forward discussion. I just come in here for laughs sometimes.

Archived