MODEL TRAINS

FLESHEATER

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

016.jpg

or something like it. probably need some kind of vice as well. im sure there is a tutorial on kitbashing online somewhere. as for the straight lines i would imagine scoring it with a regular razor may be a good idea. also measure the length cut by the 70' chassis. would suck to under or over cut the car and then the underframe does not fit.

disclaimer: this is all theory, i have never done this before.

one thing to consider. see the door on the tropi reefer

Tropicana_reefer_3053.jpg

and the door on the 86'er

CP86footBoxcar480x360.jpg

may be a bit of a challenge. Im sure it wont be long before someone produces these for sale - or at least a resin kit. but if you welcome the challenge then id say go for it. im interested to see how it turns out

lol - no shit. youd have to get surgical with that razor saw though. certainly not a 20 minute job. getting the car sized and built is one thing. then youd have to secure the straw in the orange logo. not to mention the hand rails, planks and frig unit on the end. im not at all trying to sound discouraging, to the contrary, id like to see it attempted...hell, the more i talk about it the more i want to try it.

Zed is right, i completely forgot about the double/single door. Your other option is to take a 70 ridged boxcar, and sand the ridges flat, and then smooth it out and such.

In a recent garden railways magazine or something, (im looking for you) they did an article about creating a 72' containter out of two smaller containters, though its not the exact same thing, it is very similar in idea.

if im not mistaken, what we know as baby ridges are 70' reefers. like the tropis on the last page. a google search for 70' HO scale reefers yeilded this:

rap_spr70_20.jpg

which is the same as the tropis from the last page - which is the same as UPFE, BNFE and most other ridged reefers from the last 20-30 years. the tropis we see today were custom built for tropicana though, and they look longer than 70',especially with all this shit on the end:

CSX%20Tropicana%20Local.jpg

so to get a true modern tropi (flat with the straw & orange logo) you would have to do some bashing. theres no way around it. sanding the ridgs down is a good idea. be careful sanding or cutting any model train equipment. a lot of this shit is made in china and may have lead based paint. if possible do it outside and wear a mask or something.

those baby ridges are 57 footers. and i have found 60 foot extended height kits. but i just dont know if that'd cut it

that tropicana photo is interesting though, with UP power on the head end. haha.

b40-8, thanks man! let me know what you find, i'd be stoked!

Didnt yield any results at the local hobby store. I would say the 86 foot car might be the best bet. Cut out the doors and fill in the sides with putty to make is smooth like real reefers. They are excess height already and the same basic design, probably would prove to have the least amount of reworking. I think i may give it a shot myself and see how it turns out.

In the new garden railways there is a demo on kitbashing, though its a boxcar to passenger car, still would prove to have some valuable info i bet.

kitbash maybe....alot of work.........

i say better bet is just using a walthers cryogenic 70' reefer shell, they may even make unmarked shells still.

or just use one of their older kits and sacrifice the logo for a trop or icicle decal project.

i got a lambweston with arcticar decal 70' off ebay and for a great price..im pretty sure the person who originally made the car had a blank shell

i have a mcaine arcticar id like to alter.....hmmmmmm!!!!!