MODEL TRAINS

FLESHEATER

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

that golden west is not decal and you can tell by scale/sloppiness of the execution....

decals are the only way to get a true scale/accurate piece on models..........

the artist in me says it can be done on micro scale using fine ass brushes and a magnifying glass..........but im not trying to get a migraine from it.

decaling is a bitch too.....depending on the car you are doing it on...better to practice a couple times before you try to deck out that car you spent 19 days weathering. i would recomend you print multiples of any single decal piece you want to place on a car....that way when it rips or crickles you can start over without printing out another sheet.

when actually making the decals....it helps to find a head on str8 shot of the fr8/wall piece you are going to use.....photoshop, and a color photo printer will handle the rest.....and decal paper is expensive. good luck to all trying this hobby....its a time consumer.

Just tossing in my 2 cents in on the topic of decals.

Decals look good, and from a collectors to a extream rail fans point of view. They are great. But I personaly dont like them. Its the artist in me that says. Go fuck your decals. Especially if the artist isnt getting paid for the graffic. Or at least getting some decals for him self. I cant say I know much about the decals at all. So I have a biased opinion. As like I said I dont know if theres more to it then some one just making copys of pieces they find online and useing them to make decals to sell? Or if theres something else worked out. What ever the case maybe. Its more then likly better to not say on here.

I also know that the normal run of the mill hobbie lobby type of model train guy dosnt know the difference or care. They just want to make the train look real. Which I can dig. But like I said don't trully appreciate. I dont know, Maybe someday I will change my mind. Maybe when i start seeing mine being sold and used. LOL But for now thats how I feel.

With all that said. Just like everything else. Everything has its place.

Thanks for the compliments on the weather.

When I get to weathering another ill post it.

mad props on the weathering unfortunately i cant give any props on the decals...... especially being a writer or being into graffiti, its not that hard to get a real writer to paint something if all else fails offer him/her a few bucks and markers..... and it will make your collection a whole lot better and probably worth a lot more also

• Like 1

mad props on the weathering unfortunately i cant give any props on the decals...... especially being a writer or being into graffiti, its not that hard to get a real writer to paint something if all else fails offer him/her a few bucks and markers..... and it will make your collection a whole lot better and probably worth a lot more also

it comes down to a matter of taste. if you want accuracy and realism then decals are the way to go. if you want a signed model train then go for the markers and mail some off to your fav. graff celeb.

• Like 1

should be able to find some at a local model train store or if you dont have one nearby just check out a few online stores.

i would suggest the local spots because you can ask for any advice to weathering your cars and if you have any questions regarding other things. its helped so much in the past.

who fucks with the atheann models here? i grabbed a couple the other day and started doing some to scale shits on them and its fun as hell.

but how do some of you do shit on these? i've been using a wide piece of masking tape and taping the whole train, then drawing out the sketch in pencil and cutting it out with a razor then using spray paint to fill what i just cut. then using a fine tipped sharpie to outline, and normal sharpies to outline some things and do little touches in the fill. its a process taping and cutting out each part i paint cause i've been doing 2 color fills and then using the same tech. to do the clouds around it and shit buts its still pretty fun,

but how have some of you done them? markers? similar techniques that im talking about?

• Like 1

should be able to find some at a local model train store or if you dont have one nearby just check out a few online stores.

i would suggest the local spots because you can ask for any advice to weathering your cars and if you have any questions regarding other things. its helped so much in the past.

I ment to ask. What if any online sites would anyone suggest for decals? Thats what I get for posting with my eyes still closed.

But yeah I checked a few local stores today and sae some decals. But I ended up grabing a couple of engines instead, lol. One Atlas silver series ( Conrail GE Dash 8 40-C ) like this one.

8606611.jpg

and a Athearn CSX AC4400 like this one. But with a blue roof.

ATHG67271-450.jpg

I figure those two demons can handle anything Im ready to throw at them for a while. The things are BEASTS.

The Conrail is just so fucking nasty. In hand the details are fucking crazy. Loss moving chains and rods around the wheels and it requires some small assembly for some other small parts. The Athean CSX on the other hand is not so impressive. As right out of the box the little part on the roof was broken off and the hand rails were not pluged in fully on one side. SO I have to fix the bents areas. Got them both for a great price. So I cant complain.

As for the decals for the boxcars im going to be working on. I actualy was thinking about doing a fantasy freight. As I have a bunch of old military decals tucked away from about 20 years ago. In the mix I found some lettering that will work balls for the true to life looking ones. I will be doing.

bostonsnewestink

I heard you got a few Boxcars today. You know the deal man. Im fucking nerding out on these things l8tly.

I ment to ask. What if any online sites would anyone suggest for decals? Thats what I get for posting with my eyes still closed.

But yeah I checked a few local stores today and sae some decals. But I ended up grabing a couple of engines instead, lol. One Atlas silver series ( Conrail GE Dash 8 40-C ) like this one.

and a Athearn CSX AC4400 like this one. But with a blue roof.

I figure those two demons can handle anything Im ready to throw at them for a while. The things are BEASTS.

The Conrail is just so fucking nasty. In hand the details are fucking crazy. Loss moving chains and rods around the wheels and it requires some small assembly for some other small parts. The Athean CSX on the other hand is not so impressive. As right out of the box the little part on the roof was broken off and the hand rails were not pluged in fully on one side. SO I have to fix the bents areas. Got them both for a great price. So I cant complain.

As for the decals for the boxcars im going to be working on. I actualy was thinking about doing a fantasy freight. As I have a bunch of old military decals tucked away from about 20 years ago. In the mix I found some lettering that will work balls for the true to life looking ones. I will be doing.

bostonsnewestink

I heard you got a few Boxcars today. You know the deal man. Im fucking nerding out on these things l8tly.

go here for a pretty wide variety of decals: http://www.canadasouthern.com/tmr/microscale-HO.htm

or google microscale decals. OR you can print decals but it takes a lot of trial and error from what i have read, and can get kind of expensive.

Athern engines are a beast. i got an athern F7a from a friend and that thing is too serious. by far the most powerful 'power' in my fleet.

go here for a pretty wide variety of decals: http://www.canadasouthern.com/tmr/microscale-HO.htm

or google microscale decals. OR you can print decals but it takes a lot of trial and error from what i have read, and can get kind of expensive.

Athern engines are a beast. i got an athern F7a from a friend and that thing is too serious. by far the most powerful 'power' in my fleet.

Thanks man.

I knew you could lead me in the right direction for those.

Anyhow. I dont think I will be back on 12oz until after x-mas. So I want to wish all you bitchs a merry fucking X-mas to you and your.

See all ya nerbs after the stress is over.