Graffiti & Veganism

Guest SaddamInsane

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know of one vegan writer. Personally I'm veggie, more for environemental reasons than anything. I'm of the opinion that a lot of writers who start writing for political/social reasons are more likely to be veggies/vegans (simply because of the simialrity of their beliefs to the activist community and more in-depth thinking about society etc....) but writers who start writing for the thrill/art/community are just as likely to be veggie /vegan as the general public. Not that one form of motivation is better than the other, they just come from different places.

Originally posted by ana

I'm of the opinion that a lot of writers who start writing for political/social reasons are more likely to be veggies/vegans (simply because of the simialrity of their beliefs to the activist community and more in-depth thinking about society etc....) but writers who start writing for the thrill/art/community are just as likely to be veggie /vegan as the general public. Not that one form of motivation is better than the other, they just come from different places.

yeah thats cool but how many ppl do you think actually started writting for political/social reasons ?

if you did then you are obviously new school.

now dont get me wrong this is not a dis in any way, i am moving towards more politicly aware graffiti, this would be a good thing if alot of writers woke up in this respect.

im just thinking you have a skewed outlook on this subculture, most writers are kids and thats it, the ones that stick around can become enlightened as to what political ramafications they are actually having upon the society they are in, but unfortuatly most are ignorant as hell.

if this is truly your intention mad respect, i would like to see some of your work.

but there is nothing that shits me more than psuedo writer toys that are jumping on this bandwagon due to media exposure and some 'romantic' idea claiming they know waht graffitis is about..

Originally posted by BigJoe

yeah thats cool but how many ppl do you think actually started writting for political/social reasons ?

if you did then you are obviously new school.

now dont get me wrong this is not a dis in any way, i am moving towards more politicly aware graffiti, this would be a good thing if alot of writers woke up in this respect.

im just thinking you have a skewed outlook on this subculture, most writers are kids and thats it, the ones that stick around can become enlightened as to what political ramafications they are actually having upon the society they are in, but unfortuatly most are ignorant as hell.

if this is truly your intention mad respect, i would like to see some of your work.

but there is nothing that shits me more than psuedo writer toys that are jumping on this bandwagon due to media exposure and some 'romantic' idea claiming they know waht graffitis is about..

I guess it all depends on what you consider graffiti, not trying to open up a new can of worms here, but some of my friends got into it for the whole politically aware message graffiti type thing. Personally I consider this graffiti while others may not.

Umm so many definitions of new school/old school-who really cares?

I completely and utterly agree with you on the whole "most writers wouldn't know politics from their bum" tip. I wasn't really talking numbers, I guess.

And as far as anyone can really know what graffiti is all about...hmmmm... Not I for sure.

Originally posted by ana

I guess it all depends on what you consider graffiti, not trying to open up a new can of worms here, but some of my friends got into it for the whole politically aware message graffiti type thing. Personally I consider this graffiti while others may not.

Umm so many definitions of new school/old school-who really cares?

I completely and utterly agree with you on the whole "most writers wouldn't know politics from their bum" tip. I wasn't really talking numbers, I guess.

And as far as anyone can really know what graffiti is all about...hmmmm... Not I for sure.

ok ok...yeah we ahve to do the whole definitions thing then...im talkinga bout "hip hop " style graffiti... political vandalism is another form of graffiti but i would assume that since it is political vandalism most ppl doing it would have some kind of intellegent motive for doing it..

really you think that most writers have an informed opinion about politics and are aware of the influnence they are having in their communities? wow... im impressed, but last time i was taking a survey most writers were thick as bricks..

now im not judging anyone on this site because if you are posting on 12 oz generaly you have somthing to say.

would you agree with me that the average "writer" would be about 17 years old? this is what im talking about..these kids who are (grouped together) doing more damage than any older more politicly aware writer.

...........ahh im not really sure .....im not trying to have a debate im just interested in your comments..

have you been painting long?

do you practise what you preach?

please post some of your work ( im serious ) i would like to see it..

dont get me wrong my previous post was in no way an attack on you, just a responce ...that is all

Guest batsnake

im sure if you met more writers in the world and less behind a keyboard, youd find that they will in fact go to carls or even white castle and will also slam a 40. or maybe im just from a place where shit is real.

or..or..or shit maybe people are different around the world?!?!?!?!

fucking insane notion there eh real deal kickin it with the 40 thug iced out bling bling wit dub dueces on ya feets and alligator on your seats?

Guest batsnake

er uh maybe your a clown. and maybe writers in nyc are a little different from writers around the world. maybe thats because here pussies dont make it. and your gay i hate bush save iraq and dont eat cheese posters fall of the wall and get used to wipe someones ass.

Guest batsnake

that wasnt an attack on you it was an attack on all "new school" in the sense that going out and killing shit with throws etc. is "ignorant 17 yr. olds graf". you little dorks and your political opinions wouldnt be expressed on wall or here if it wasnt for thousands of angry kids going out over the last 25 years and fucking shit up, and many of them were obviously very inteligent but the issue was, and should remain, getting up, ILLEAGALLY, and making some effort at having style.

Originally posted by Weapon X

by the way...does anybody know any pro vegan hockey, football, soccer, baseball, or basketball players?

i don't keep up, but there have been a lot of professional athletes who were vegetarian, i remember a bodybuilder and some olympics guys. whatever.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by neversaydie

veganism is about as hip hop as graff but i have notices the pants getting tight, the portions of food getting smaller, everyone riding fixed gears, and people becoming vegans. a stinker quote.

thats what im saying, or i mean, what i said actually. look at me, my bike doesnt have brakes. i have a bag with one strap on it. im impossible to eat out with. my house smells like old records, because you know i collect records, because im vegan. i pay a ton of money for FAKE food. i hate eating meat, yet i buy tofurkey that comes in the shape of real turkey parts. i have pants that look like they are painted on, and are far to short for me, why you ask?, oh because im vegan thats why. i could go on for days as to why alot, but not all the vegans ive met, are some of the fakest fuckers ive ever met in my life.

for those they may talk shit about vegans in the past or future.

here we go again. this thread pops up every now and again and its usually by someone assaulting vegans when they have been un warrented and unprovoked. everytime i read some new comment that is usually rediculous it bothers me but i dont respond because they generally end up proving themselves wrong in some way or another but i have to say this for closure.

hey i have a bag with one strap on it, its called a shoulderbag, and i know alot of nonvegans who do as well. my bike has brakes and im not impossible to eat out with, oh yeah; i dont collect records. i dont pay a ton of money for fake food, in fact veggies really arent that expensive. its not my fault that tofurkey comes shaped like that, and god forbid if you see me buying one i can guarentee you theres one or two sitting in the one strap bag you mentioned that im not paying for. i usually have to roll up my pant legs just so i wont tear the bottoms by stepping on them and i hate tight clothes.

by the way, i know way too many vegans across the country to be able to say your theory holds any form of liquid, vegan or nonvegan alike. i would say go fuck yourself but im in a good mood and am deciding to laugh your comment off based on the fact that it is probably coming from somewhere within where you feel uncomfortable with yourself.

please deal with this so those of us who dont feel like being assaulted by unwarrented comments dont have to listen to them. thanks.

well im not saying thats the way you are, i have some very cool friends who happen to be vegan. its doesnt really make a difference to me what people eat, or dont eat. its just all the things that go along with it, not in all cases but it seems like alot of the time. im not sure where youre from but out here pretty much every writer knows every other one, in some way or another, and ive seen people change their entire appearence in six months. im talking about one day i see a guy and hes wearing silly looking hip hop shit, and a few months later hes wearing the standard vegan bike guy uniform, moppy hair with bangs. i just dont see how choosing to not eat meat, means you have to look this way. and im not saying all vegans or bike riders are like this, its just that i see it SO much. and ive been driving around with people and its a hassle try to get a bite to eat sometimes, cant go here, cant go there, they cook fries in the wrong oil, or they do use the right tortillas for the burritos, and going through tacobell drive through is a pain, "can i have a taco with beans instead of meat, with no cheese but extra lettuce" i mean the drive through guys dont usually speak the best english to begin with, the order hardly ever comes out right. i just hate scene whores i guess, and out here, being vegan and having a fixed gear is quite the trend. these guys just look silly to me because i know a year ago they didnt ride bikes, and wore back packs, and ate normal pizza. everyone should do whatever makes them happy though, i just wish they didnt have to look so fake doing it.

i understand, ive seen it as well. but wait a year or two and see whos still vegan and acting like that and who isnt and then make your judgement call. ya know? ive gone through major changes throughout my life when it comes to my appearence, most were around the time i was 17 but you cant judge someone on that. talk to them about it first.

that post wasnt fully directed at you although you werent left out, im just sick of hearing this shit. buddah bless you. anyway, nothing but love man, i hope i didnt offend you. peace.

HOW EATING MEAT DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTES TO THE HOLE IN THE OZONE

WHEN HUMANS FINALLY EVOLVE PAST OUR POINT, IF WE DO. HOPEFULLY WE ARE SMART ENOUGH TO GO VEGETARIAN.......HERES WHY, THE MORE PEOPLE WE HAVE ON EARTH THE MORE WE NEED TO FEED...RIGHT. WELL IT IS A FACT THAT THE OZONE DEPLETES WHEN EXPOSED TO LARGE AMOUNTS OF METHANE GAS.......THE LARGEST PRODUCER OF METHANE GAS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD IS THE CATTLE INDUSTRY....ADD THE TWO TOGETHER..AND WE HAVE A PROBLEM. SO EATING MEAT DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTES TO BEING MORE SUBSEPTABLE TO SKIN CANCER........FOR MORE GREAT INFO READ "STUPID WHITEMAN" BY MICHAEL MOORE OR SEE BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE.......

Originally posted by BigJoe

ok ok...yeah we ahve to do the whole definitions thing then...im talkinga bout "hip hop " style graffiti... political vandalism is another form of graffiti but i would assume that since it is political vandalism most ppl doing it would have some kind of intellegent motive for doing it..

really you think that most writers have an informed opinion about politics and are aware of the influnence they are having in their communities? wow... im impressed, but last time i was taking a survey most writers were thick as bricks..

now im not judging anyone on this site because if you are posting on 12 oz generaly you have somthing to say.

would you agree with me that the average "writer" would be about 17 years old? this is what im talking about..these kids who are (grouped together) doing more damage than any older more politicly aware writer.

...........ahh im not really sure .....im not trying to have a debate im just interested in your comments..

have you been painting long?

do you practise what you preach?

please post some of your work ( im serious ) i would like to see it..

dont get me wrong my previous post was in no way an attack on you, just a responce ...that is all

I would have to respectfully disagree with you on the whole politically motivated graf not being hip hop graf. Hip hop has always been at least partly motivated by politics. Check NWA's "Fuck the Police" and the effect it had, the numerous small labels set up by artists tired of labels screwing them over, censorship of artists and songs etc... Not to get into the whole definition game but politics for me is very broad and not easily defined.

About writers motives, I think that the longer you stay in the game, the more you realize the effect you have on society and people. I think that newbies look up to these older guys & gals and to a certain extent are introduced to the ideas. I don't know it might be my city-the graf/hip hop scene is so small that most people have talked to/know each other. The writers who have been in the game longer are also pretty aware and are involved in progressive things. I don't know about the average age of writers. I guess I don't see most writers as "thick as bricks" just different ideas and priorities than perhaps I have.

Practice what I preach? I don't know - most of my energy goes towards promoting hip hop/art & community events and djing rather than preaching. I'd like to keep this at the theoretical level rather than the personal anyways.

Guest Wangsta

Re: HOW EATING MEAT DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTES TO THE HOLE IN THE OZONE

Originally posted by IKON157

WHEN HUMANS FINALLY EVOLVE PAST OUR POINT, IF WE DO. HOPEFULLY WE ARE SMART ENOUGH TO GO VEGETARIAN.......HERES WHY, THE MORE PEOPLE WE HAVE ON EARTH THE MORE WE NEED TO FEED...RIGHT. WELL IT IS A FACT THAT THE OZONE DEPLETES WHEN EXPOSED TO LARGE AMOUNTS OF METHANE GAS.......THE LARGEST PRODUCER OF METHANE GAS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD IS THE CATTLE INDUSTRY....ADD THE TWO TOGETHER..AND WE HAVE A PROBLEM. SO EATING MEAT DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTES TO BEING MORE SUBSEPTABLE TO SKIN CANCER........FOR MORE GREAT INFO READ "STUPID WHITEMAN" BY MICHAEL MOORE OR SEE BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE.......

not to mention that they are using great amounts of ancient ground water just to irrigate the crops that feed the cattle.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Originally posted by IKON157

I GUESS ANYWAY YOU LOOK AT IT, CAUSE=EFFECT............KEEP THE BBQS UP WATCH SOME FOOTBALL, AND KILL SOME MAMMALS.......................WHILE WE ARE AT IT LETS GET SOME SUV'S AND DUMP INCREDIBLE AMOUNTS OF FOSSIL FUELS INTO IT..........WORD

You leave football out of this.

Archived