Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
x2 i used to rack those all the time.

The best fatcap ever made came from can control magazine in the 90s. Bad ass 4 finger fatcap that had a dope circle when you were flaring out your tags.

new testors caps are same as old one?

thanks. All of these are almost full.

I fucked up though...

I wanted to wash the baby blue off for the picture because it was dirty as hell. when i was wiping it my fatass thumb broke a huge hole in the lid. So now i have to use it for canvasses. Sucks balls.

peep the baby blue, bright yellow and miniature auto primer....

IMG01056-20110218-0841.jpg

IMG01057-20110218-0842.jpg

i like that yellow krylon,and rusto primer is nice too,btw just put some epoxy glue on your top and fix it...

is that COLOR CHART on that super???? if yes its so sick!!!

Looking good....the fat caps you talk about, were they called "German" fats but were the size sort of a normal NY fat. I remeber a cap we used to get with wide ridges and sort of a small color on it that had a pretty big spray. Think it was an orange center, I have not seen them in a while....

Agghhhh standard brands... They "sponsored" MANY a graffiti mission for us back in the late 80s and early 90s, lol when they went out of business the cans were $.50 a can and we went in and cleaned them out of their Krylons. We had cans from that for years!!! The good old days!!

it could be worse. baby blue is a joy to use, even low-pressure.

also, that Wet Look, especially in that condition, is one HELL of a find!

thanks. All of these are almost full.

I fucked up though...

I wanted to wash the baby blue off for the picture because it was dirty as hell. when i was wiping it my fatass thumb broke a huge hole in the lid. So now i have to use it for canvasses. Sucks balls.

I got a top that may not be exact, but would look damn good on there.....I have been seeing some amazing ace hardware cans lately....

I LOVE all the diggin everyone is doing, some great cans are being found and brought out, keep it up.....can't wait for the cold weather to leave so official digging season can begin for me....

juca

that's a stock cap, just the specific color that Nybco used. it's not much different from any stock cap. most old subway writers from NY used stock caps as thin caps, and probably just got very close to the train with the can. the only real old-time thin caps (which is the same as an older NY thin) that i can think of are the Krylon Fixatif cap which are also known as "Fixies" in some places, and the Liquitex/Testors caps. I believe these to all look exactly the same and be equivalent to older NY thins. newer NY thins are not as clean or pencil-diameter as the older ones for some reason.

Don't forget about niagara caps and Jifoam fats. Also the medium tips with the black face and wide ridges on old ScotchGard cans. I also believe you could find Rusto Fats back then, but not sure on what cans. They had plenty of caps to use, even back in the 70's. You just had to rack them all. I have a few of each classic cap and can take pics if anyone is interested.

I beg to differ on the Ny Thin. It's definitely wider than the old ones with the indented face, but much cleaner. I hated those older ones, but if you're into it, the new grey german thins seem to have the same spray quality, and even have a strange indented dot unlike the older style. Too skinny for me. I actually shave down the stem on NYs with a razor to use them with imported brands. My favorite cap hands down.

Don't forget about niagara caps and Jifoam fats. Also the medium tips with the black face and wide ridges on old ScotchGard cans. I also believe you could find Rusto Fats back then, but not sure on what cans. They had plenty of caps to use, even back in the 70's. You just had to rack them all. I have a few of each classic cap and can take pics if anyone is interested.

I beg to differ on the Ny Thin. It's definitely wider than the old ones with the indented face, but much cleaner. I hated those older ones, but if you're into it, the new grey german thins seem to have the same spray quality, and even have a strange indented dot unlike the older style. Too skinny for me. I actually shave down the stem on NYs with a razor to use them with imported brands. My favorite cap hands down.

Would love to see some old caps! I'll post some european ones.

I was only talking about thins. Many people have noted that back then, it was about fat caps and using stocks for thin lines was the norm. I have an old ScotchGard that came with a Rusto orange center.

I don't remember the old NY thins having an indent, they seem to look identical and the actuator face numbers never seemed to correlate to quality at all. I think we've discussed this one before also, but I miss how nicely the old NY's used to mate to Krylon and how it made the paint nice and clean for thin lines. The newer ones seem to flare out just enough that the dot is no longer solid. Surely this is a technique issue, but I think Juca was looking for a clean thin initially. The stock Nybco cap is fine but doesn't exceed any stock cap.

I don't thin any american brand of paint comes with what we know as a thin cap. I'm guessing it's because of the propensity for it to clog, as opposed to a non-diffused "stock tip". (the paint doesn't have to flow through channels like with any cap that provides clean lines.)

You don't remember back in the early to mid 90's when there was that run of NY Thins that had the strange bevel in the dot? Those were the only ones i remember that sprayed differently. They kinda shot paint out in a super thin, heavy line that was so easy to drip with krylon. Some people loved those caps, but i personally hated them. The thins you'd grab off Fixatif have always sprayed the same in my experience. About an inch wide, and super crisp.

Archived