Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Vintage - sick pics man. Dog repellent, that's an awesome can..and that Kwite Wet pic. The cans are kinda bland, kinda, but the name and the colors/names are tight.

Craigslist - I had some minor scores in the past few years. It's super sick for getting free house paint for wall productions. I can get more gallons and quarts etc. than I can store or use. It's crazy how people just let me, a stranger, into their homes and go thru their basements and take all the paint I want. Love it.

I agree 100%!!! I mean if you do it for yourself thats fine but what's fucked up is when those cans start getting into circulation it fucks everything up just like Slyle said about cans with the wrong tops on them, its the same thing and when they start making the rounds and getting into circulation it fucks up the whole integrity of it IMO...

it's too late and it's already happening, has been for years. it's way too hard to police this, especially over the internet with unreliable photo details and everything else.

we have to set a standard of respect and honesty. that and start keeping and trading overcaps.

it's too late and it's already happening, has been for years. it's way too hard to police this, especially over the internet with unreliable photo details and everything else.

we have to set a standard of respect and honesty. that and start keeping and trading overcaps.

It's one thing to be keeping correct caps off cans and trading/selling them to people, it's another to bootleg a sticker that was on a cap... Then instead of having wrong tops on cans now you are gonna have people putting name label stickers on barcode cans or barcode stickers on ingredients cans and then they get into circulation and the counterfitting gets worse. I think it's better to push people to be honest like you said then to push them to possibly restore a can incorrectly. The least amount of bootlegged stuff that hits the market the better!!!

Juca is that T/A yours? Got a 78 myself...

y its mine,but fuck it all when taxe is not paid on this can (imported from usa) and when i cant find even a fcking spark plugs for am :lol: ill change it for clean titled 900 rr :lol:

It's one thing to be keeping correct caps off cans and trading/selling them to people, it's another to bootleg a sticker that was on a cap... Then instead of having wrong tops on cans now you are gonna have people putting name label stickers on barcode cans or barcode stickers on ingredients cans and then they get into circulation and the counterfitting gets worse. I think it's better to push people to be honest like you said then to push them to possibly restore a can incorrectly. The least amount of bootlegged stuff that hits the market the better!!!

If you know your cans you know that there is a particular back to bar codes and name labels. Not sure if name and ing labels had differences. Some of them came with both name and ing stickers.

I seen someone who bootlegged an icy grape label only they forgot that the ings. on the back of the label also states the color, and charcoal black it was not.....

y its mine,but fuck it all when taxe is not paid on this can (imported from usa) and when i cant find even a fcking spark plugs for am :lol: ill change it for clean titled 900 rr :lol:

You can just order what parts you need online or is their too much in taxes due....

If you know your cans you know that there is a particular back to bar codes and name labels. Not sure if name and ing labels had differences. Some of them came with both name and ing stickers.

I seen someone who bootlegged an icy grape label only they forgot that the ings. on the back of the label also states the color, and charcoal black it was not.....

Key word... IF... MOST people do not know there is a difference. I mean look at how into cans you are and you didn't even know there was a difference in cans from a Name label to Ingredients. I have seen a lot of name label and ingredients label caps on barcode cans because people swap them cause the can is cleaner and that just fucks things up so after a while people don't know what is what.

Yes some cans did come with both ingredients and name labels on them in fact I have a bonfire in the correct can with both ingredients label and name label BUT with a notch top... :lol:

I know the Icy Grape you speak of and that person did a lot of shady stuff regarding cans, switching tops, trying to pass off the wrong tops on cans and so on.

Key word... IF... MOST people do not know there is a difference. I mean look at how into cans you are and you didn't even know there was a difference in cans from a Name label to Ingredients. I have seen a lot of name label and ingredients label caps on barcode cans because people swap them cause the can is cleaner and that just fucks things up so after a while people don't know what is what.

Yes some cans did come with both ingredients and name labels on them in fact I have a bonfire in the correct can with both ingredients label and name label BUT with a notch top... :lol:

I know the Icy Grape you speak of and that person did a lot of shady stuff regarding cans, switching tops, trying to pass off the wrong tops on cans and so on.

Not that I didn't know, just was not sure. There was also 2 styles of ing labels and 2 styles of name labels. I have also seen double variations on some bar code labels. And yes Ing labels on notch tops has happened, think I had a popsicle orange like that. Just like you can find some fat seam name on cans, and paper label sherwin williams. There is also the odd borden bar code cherry red with the name on can....never seen that in another color. I don't think it was krylon doing it, but the different companies they had making cans for them....

I think some people swap tops not noticing some of the subtle differnces, thats why its good to have forums like this so people know what is correct. Swapping fat lips on Supreme Quality Devils is also very common. There is only 2 styles of tops they take, and one style of can in 3 different weights that take fat lips.

I'm really digging the discussions taking place in here lately. It's like we hooked up an AED (heart paddles) to the thread and kick started it back to life. Stoked.

On the label making/swapping topic. Here's an example. I need the sticker not present in the flick. It didn't come with one when I bought the set (are there more colors than these..?) and I would like to complete the look. Anyone have it that would help me out with a copy of the sticker..? Here ye here ye, I doth not have any intentions of bamboozling anyone in the future by selling these and not mentioning the "copied" sticker. That's not my style. That and the fact that I'm not letting go of these unless I need bail money or an organ transplant. Neither being in my immediate future. Anyone wanna be a pal and help me..? Thanks.

DSC05371.jpg

You can just order what parts you need online or is their too much in taxes due....

taxe is 23% here in croatia so its so expensive,as far as i know there's one more AM croatia around 180 km from my house,i will go and see if i can buy that one for parts...

valdi brings up two good points....

1- removing ego from the equation is essential.

-----d'ya hear that, graffiti thugs and insecure paint nerds?---

essential. it's what we need to do in order to put quality information about cans and can details out there. in doing to, we can encourage worthwhile collectors by educating those who are willing to learn. we've been looking at these cans for years and trying to find out where the patterns are and just figuring out the chronology took time and collaboration (remember those days?). the more we explain to people how those who care about this hobby less than we do can take advantage of them, the better off everyone is.

2- i have UTTERLY no problem with what valdi wants to do. he needs a Ramona Red barcode label and then he'll have the Kalifornia Kolors complete. he's not trying to pass it off and hornswoggle anyone, he's looking to shelf the cans and display them well. in other words--- he's trying to do EXACTLY WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT. anyone with a collection has done this, cleaning cans, painting a duplicate cap, whatever, because the only damn thing you can do with collectible spray paint is display it. we all know this. if for any reason he sells it down the line, he'll probably do exactly why slyle said- he'd say "here's all the Kalifornias, but the Ramona red has a rebuilt/duplicate label." my point is not only that there's no harm in that, but it's going to become necessary in the future as all cans will only get rarer. i'd much rather keep this thing alive rather that fool myself into thinking i'm keeping it 100% "pure".

oh, and i wish nothing bad for valdi's organs, but the day that Kalifornia Kolors help with an organ transplant, i'll be quite pleased.

I'm really digging the discussions taking place in here lately. It's like we hooked up an AED (heart paddles) to the thread and kick started it back to life. Stoked.

On the label making/swapping topic. Here's an example. I need the sticker not present in the flick. It didn't come with one when I bought the set (are there more colors than these..?) and I would like to complete the look. Anyone have it that would help me out with a copy of the sticker..? Here ye here ye, I doth not have any intentions of bamboozling anyone in the future by selling these and not mentioning the "copied" sticker. That's not my style. That and the fact that I'm not letting go of these unless I need bail money or an organ transplant. Neither being in my immediate future. Anyone wanna be a pal and help me..? Thanks.[/size]

DSC05371.jpg

valdi you need top stickers for those cans?? if yes why,they looks good man..

There is also the odd borden bar code cherry red with the name on can....never seen that in another color. I don't think it was krylon doing it, but the different companies they had making cans for them....

How about a paper label bar code borden almond?? I got one of those in the vault...

Krylon did some werid shit from the beginning at least rusto was consistant with stuff...

Archived