Stenciling 101

FR8 LIFE

Those photoshop tuts are helpful but I realized the best shit come from free hand stencils.. I made a few things just taking a photo put it in grayscale and just cut.. But whatever works, works.. Lol.. Get up.. And then get up a bit more..

• 3 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bump this info.

To make my stencil I photocopy/print out onto white a4 and then laminate the paper at work. Cut out the stencil then and it is nice & easy using a craft blade and presto a ready to go, handy sized stencil.

thats a sick method bro, im assuming the cuts come out clean right?

• 3 weeks later...

operating loss in a decade

Gleneagles Hotel, owned by drinks giant Diageo, made an operating loss of ?554,000 in the year to 30 June 2009. RMTThe five-star Perthshire hotel, which was the venue for the G8 summit in 2005, is set to host the Ryder Cup golf tournament in 2014. The loss is thought to stem from a drop in the number of business customers holding corporate events. The figures follow a slump in recent years in operating profits for the hotel, near Auchterarder, which stood at ?5.5m in 2003-4 but fell to ?1m in 2007-8. arad RMTPeter Lederer, the hotel's chairman and highest-paid director, saw his pay package drop from ?287,000 in 2008 to ?209,000 last year after his bonus was cut because the company failed to meet its financial targets.arad RMT

Usually, I just use a wood burner with a nice and sharpened tip to cut through plastic shit. U can find them for pretty cheap depending on where you get it. Don't have to turn the paper every cut, just like your tracing the outlines. Makes shit dope easy, especially if you plan on making a big stencil. I'll post a picture of mine as soon as I find it...

An official Christian Louboutin shoes

An official Christian Louboutin shoes are cost more to most women,women who want to express their status should wear a replicaChristian Louboutin shoes.the replica Christian Louboutin are available in different styles. Helping you move around in a stylishway, they have become more and more popular among the ladies that usually follow the latest styles to express themselves in a bestpossible way.Good replicas Christian Louboutin shoes look exactly like the Christian Louboutin shoes, they have become more populararound the world.it is worth for you to have a cheap christian louboutin shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: stencil help

im know there are hundreds of threads with this info and i apologize but i need some help.

i'm trying to make a fairly detailed stencil to go on a t-shirt.

do people usually use an x-acto knife

If you are thinking of using a stencil on a t-shirt. I'd recommend using acrylic paint, Eventually it'll start to wash off, It gets a cool worn out look. I use an x-acto knife, invest on some different blades though, they're really helpfull. They're about $1.35 at Walmart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have never stenciled and am not really interested in trying it, but must admit that is a pretty sick one . The chick tagging your name is a dope idea. You might want to work on your hand style though. No offense, but after such a tight neat stencil, with 3 colors and a sick concept the tag only drags it down..71 Get that poppin and your golden.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

alright. i am working on a super detailed 6 layer measuring 6"x 8" so i am trying to find something super small but sharp as hell. its a bitch to cut through both sides of the lamanetes.

on a side note, has anyone tried the scotch precision cutter?

• 2 weeks later...

i copped one. it is ceramic. glides through news print- photo paper with ease. needs gone over at least twice on anything thicker (folders and such.) laminates take at least 3 cuts, and dull out the blade super fast. they handle like xactos with the sharpness of a box knife. the blade is very, very small though.

not bad for bigger stencils on thinner sheets, but a big no to laminates.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I began painting by just doing some basic stencils, and worked my way up to slightly more advanced stencils before I stopped using them altogether.

To me, they're just too much of a hassle to carry around since they need to be flat and any folds or creases basically destroy the end result. I guess if I used a more rigid material for the stencil then it would defeat my problem, but I'd rather freehand a painting than just use a 'cookie-cutter'.

I'm thinking about making up a couple new stencils though to use as a signature type of thing for my pieces... I think it'd be a good way of making your mark on pieces since it's much easier to remember an object than a name.

Do any of you make your own stencils from stock photos? What technique do you use? Personally, I just pull it up in Photoshop and mess around in there with the different layers and whatnot. but I have buddies who just print out the picture and then draw the shapes that they want to stencil, and then cut it out but I find it much easier to let the computer do it for me :D

• 3 weeks later...
how do you guys travel with stencils? folded in back packs or what? And if you're going on a bomb spree how do you travel with it it sticking to itself from wet paint?

i have a vinyl folder for my smaller ones. my bigger ones i have to roll up or fold for them to fit. depending on what the stencil is made of you have to let it dry so that means chilling for a sec. also use a messenger bag. you look kinda art faggish but its really handy. montana(hdlbg) pocket cans with a caligraphy cap are also recommended

I suck dick

you are completely off topic, get the fuck out.:nope:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned this yet (atleast in the first and last 5 pages of the thread that I checked)

If you guys are looking to make your PAPER stencils stronger. Go out and buy a can of 2-component clear coat spray. This stuff is awesome and it will GREATLY increase the lifespan of your stencils.

One thing thing to note is not to apply too much at once, I'm sure most of you are aware that once your stencil becomes wet, it likes to bend and curl up on itself sometimes. The best way to avoid this while clear coating is by doing a LIGHT initial spray around just the outsides or the top/bottom of your stencil and leave it to cure. After about 20 mins you should be set up enough that your paper will now hold it's own shape and you can coat the rest, I suggest leaving them for a couple of hours in a dry environment out of the sun (i've found the sun tends to make the clearcoat seal shitty when using it on other applications)

Once you've let it dry, you're good to go, start bombing! Hope this was helpful..

• 4 weeks later...

What do you guys think is the best way to create inverted images out of regular photos to make stencils with?

I've been using photoshop to desaturate->adjust contrast/brightness but a lot of the times, there are a lot of grey areas left behind... maybe using filters might help?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived