what is post-modernism?

fatalist

guys i need help.......i've been reading about post-modernism...and i just can't begin to put it in words, for a 2 page essay i have to write, defineing post-modernism...

this is all i have:

post-modern literature refers to works published form the latter half of the 20th century, and involves work that crosses boundaries of genres, such as novels that combines both poerty, and prose.

from there i'm stuck...............

can anyone elaborate...it can be post-modernism in art or literature...

much love... ;)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by fatalist@Oct 27 2004, 05:01 PM

guys i need help.......i've been reading about post-modernism...and i just can't begin to put it in words, for a 2 page essay i have to write, defineing post-modernism...

this is all i have:

post-modern literature refers to works published form the latter half of the 20th century, and involves work that crosses boundaries of genres, such as novels that combines both poerty, and prose.

much love... ;)

research-assistance.com

Originally posted by the_gooch+Oct 27 2004, 09:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (the_gooch - Oct 27 2004, 09:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fatalist@Oct 27 2004, 05:01 PM

this is all i have:

much love... ;)

research-assistance.com

[/b]

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Postmodernism refers to that which is after moderrnism. Something that is postmodern has no center, it may also be viewed as a critique of modernism. Modernism, although it may be highlt fragmented has a central theme. A prime example of a modernist work in painting would be Picaso's cubism. Although the form is fragmented and it ilustrates a new take on western perspective, it is still based on a central theme. Classical ideas of composition and color are still employed by the artist. A postmodern art work like Duchamp's fountain (which is a urinal) could be viewed as postmodern because it critisises art. Duchamp's fountain asks about the legitamacy of art. Graffiti art also aks the same question in a way. Many people would agree that a peice is art, but is bombing an art form or is it pure vandalism, or both. I don't realy have time to go into postmodernism too much here, but for more info check out Derrida, leotard, deluze. That should give you a good start. Just use google to search these guys' names. I'm sure you will find many more links. Good luck

Guest imported_El Mamerro

All of you are completely mistaken.

For starters, post-modernism involves, without exception, the posting of the researcher's tits. After that crucial first step is completed, then we can move on to further define the term more thoroughly.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by El Mamerro@Oct 27 2004, 05:04 PM

All of you are completely mistaken.

For starters, post-modernism involves, without exception, the posting of the researcher's tits. After that crucial first step is completed, then we can move on to further define the term more thoroughly.

I was about to close this..but mamski saved the show...so fatalist, i studied that shit for 4 years..are you down for a trade?

your next post will determine this threads fate

books i read in my post modernism class were william s burroughs "naked lunch," celine's "journey to the end of the night," the complete poetry of rainer maria rilke, a samuel beckett book but i forget which, virginia woolf's last book, and james joyces "ulysses" (yes, the entire book).

i was taught by a guy who graduated 1st in his graduate class at harvard for his doctorate, liked when i came into class high and read aloud, and let me write my in class essays in crayon. i did get a b in his class though. dude is a real genius.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by GamblersGrin@Oct 27 2004, 05:49 PM

william s burroughs "naked lunch"

See what I'm saying? Post-modernism at its finest.

Tits.

post - modernism - reffers to the reconstruction and appropration of exsisting things to create a new object, based on things that are already there. This is a movement that is born form the modernist movent. Both of these are hard to define, because they cover a wide, and slighty expanding areas and ideas.

Where moderism is a bit more fatalistic, postmodernism reflects a more upbeat ideolgical change from moderism.

the Remix is a very post modern idea, it relies on a collective conciousness to find enough identifiable bits to create a familiarity but still different enough to be a new thing.

dictionary.com

Of or relating to art, architecture, or literature that reacts against earlier modernist principles, as by reintroducing traditional or classical elements of style or by carrying modernist styles or practices to extremes: “It [a roadhouse]is so architecturally interesting... with its postmodern wooden booths and sculptural clock”

read this:

http://www.colorado.edu/English/ENGL2012Klages/pomo.html

Archived