1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

what is post-modernism?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by fatalist, Oct 27, 2004.

1. fatalist

fatalist Dirty Dozen Crew

what is post-modernism?

Discussion started by fatalist - Oct 27, 2004

guys i need help.......i've been reading about post-modernism...and i just can't begin to put it in words, for a 2 page essay i have to write, defineing post-modernism...

this is all i have:
    post-modern literature refers to works published form the latter half of the 20th century, and involves work that crosses boundaries of genres, such as novels that combines both poerty, and prose.

from there i'm stuck...............

can anyone elaborate...it can be post-modernism in art or literature...

much love... ;)

fatalist - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  2. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

the_gooch - Replied Oct 27, 2004

research-assistance.com

the_gooch - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  3. villain

villain 12oz Veteran Member

villain - Replied Oct 27, 2004

Sorry i don't know much about these fancy words for art and literature and stuff.
    Not much of an art dork am I?

villain - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  4. fatalist

fatalist - Replied Oct 27, 2004

research-assistance.com
    [post=3688564]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

5. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Weapon X - Replied Oct 27, 2004

Pronunciation: 'pOst-'mä-d&rn, ÷'mä-d(&-)r&n
    Definition: a word for idiots to help themselves believe that they are intellectual.

Weapon X - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  6. iupgmblows

iupgmblows New Jack

iupgmblows - Replied Oct 27, 2004

Postmodernism refers to that which is after moderrnism. Something that is postmodern has no center, it may also be viewed as a critique of modernism. Modernism, although it may be highlt fragmented has a central theme. A prime example of a modernist work in painting would be Picaso's cubism. Although the form is fragmented and it ilustrates a new take on western perspective, it is still based on a central theme. Classical ideas of composition and color are still employed by the artist. A postmodern art work like Duchamp's fountain (which is a urinal) could be viewed as postmodern because it critisises art. Duchamp's fountain asks about the legitamacy of art. Graffiti art also aks the same question in a way. Many people would agree that a peice is art, but is bombing an art form or is it pure vandalism, or both. I don't realy have time to go into postmodernism too much here, but for more info check out Derrida, leotard, deluze. That should give you a good start. Just use google to search these guys' names. I'm sure you will find many more links. Good luck

iupgmblows - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  7. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Oct 27, 2004

All of you are completely mistaken.

For starters, post-modernism involves, without exception, the posting of the researcher's tits. After that crucial first step is completed, then we can move on to further define the term more thoroughly.

8. fatalist

fatalist - Replied Oct 27, 2004

^^^^^thanks alot...this helps alot...why do i always wait till the last minute to begin my research? good looking out guys

:kissa: e-kisses

9. imported_Tesseract - Replied Oct 27, 2004

I was about to close this..but mamski saved the show...so fatalist, i studied that shit for 4 years..are you down for a trade?
    your next post will determine this threads fate

10. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin 12oz Elite Member

GamblersGrin - Replied Oct 27, 2004

books i read in my post modernism class were william s burroughs "naked lunch," celine's "journey to the end of the night," the complete poetry of rainer maria rilke, a samuel beckett book but i forget which, virginia woolf's last book, and james joyces "ulysses" (yes, the entire book).
    i was taught by a guy who graduated 1st in his graduate class at harvard for his doctorate, liked when i came into class high and read aloud, and let me write my in class essays in crayon. i did get a b in his class though. dude is a real genius.

GamblersGrin - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  11. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Oct 27, 2004

See what I'm saying? Post-modernism at its finest.

Tits.

12. duh-rye-won

duh-rye-won 12oz Member

duh-rye-won - Replied Oct 27, 2004

[​IMG]

:king:

duh-rye-won - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. heavyLox

heavyLox 12oz Veteran Member

heavyLox - Replied Oct 27, 2004

post - modernism - reffers to the reconstruction and appropration of exsisting things to create a new object, based on things that are already there. This is a movement that is born form the modernist movent. Both of these are hard to define, because they cover a wide, and slighty expanding areas and ideas.
    Where moderism is a bit more fatalistic, postmodernism reflects a more upbeat ideolgical change from moderism.
    the Remix is a very post modern idea, it relies on a collective conciousness to find enough identifiable bits to create a familiarity but still different enough to be a new thing.

dictionary.com
    Of or relating to art, architecture, or literature that reacts against earlier modernist principles, as by reintroducing traditional or classical elements of style or by carrying modernist styles or practices to extremes: “It [a roadhouse]is so architecturally interesting... with its postmodern wooden booths and sculptural clock”

read this:
    http://www.colorado.edu/English/ENGL2012Klages/pomo.html

heavyLox - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  14. heavyLox

heavyLox 12oz Veteran Member

heavyLox - Replied Oct 27, 2004

i came through now learn some lingo and help me out with my thread question.

here--- hook it up.

heavyLox - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages: