The Internet, Graffiti, and Education Survey Study

Sonik3000

Greetings everyone,

This survey study is designed to get a feel for the state of the internet's role in graffiti and how people are using the internet in the process of learning what they know about graffiti. It's a project to commemorate the tenth anniversary of Art Crimes, and is in conjunction with course work at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. The guy doing the study is myself, Caleb Neelon / SONIK.

Here's how it works:

Copy the questions that are below. Paste them into an email or .doc form, answer them, and send them to me at:

calebfunk@hotmail.com

Send whatever answers you have to the questions - don't worry about being super articulate or original. Whether you love the internet or hate the internet, I hope you'll take a moment to answer. Your opinions all count in the survey, and the more responses I get, the better a sense of the collective feeling of graffiti writers I can provide. Your words and opinions remain anonymous unless you give me permission to directly quote you by graffiti name.

Thanks very much - answer any time between now and June 15, when this poll will close.

Graffiti, the Internet, and Education Interview:

Note: This is assumed to all be your opinion and is not an attempt to get you to speak for all of graffiti or on behalf of anyone other than yourself.

*What was the first Internet graffiti resource to grab your attention? When was that?

*Do you feel that the Internet has had a significant impact on graffiti, and has that impact been positive, negative, or a combination of the two? How so?

*What are the best uses of the Net in graffiti that you have seen?

*What are some of the worst?

*What do you feel the role of the Internet is in the experience of a young writer today? How much of their “graffiti education” comes from the Net?

*How is the Net being used well, in your opinion, by graffiti writers?

*Do you feel that the content you put forth on the Net, either as a website designer, forum moderator, or otherwise, has any educational value? Why?

*How could graffiti writers improve their use of the Net?

*Do you, or have you, ever used the Net to contact a writer whose work or reputation you admire?

*Have any young writers ever contacted you because they admired your work or rep?

*If so, have you maintained any significant contact with any of them?

*Have you made any valued friendships via graffiti and the Internet?

*Do you feel any responsibility to mentor younger writers? Why or why not?

Thanks a million.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i am in the process of answering these questions.

has it really been 10 years for art crimes? wow, awesome!

p.s. you probably don't remember me, but i met you at the jam in wiesbaden. you have a style like no other. have you traveled anywhere lately?

The article that I produce will be on Art Crimes. The way that social science interview studies work is that each response is coded. For instance, if everyone says that they've used the internet to contact someone that whose work they admired, that would be worth sharing. And I would pick the one quote, out of the people who say that it's okay if I quote them, that seems to sum up the sentiments of the majority most appropriately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A reminder - this poll is going to close on June 15, so if you are dying to answer this thing, do it up. I've got a freaking ton of responses, which is great, so don't feel you need to respond unless you're really into it. If you would like to respond, though, rock out.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time out to do this!

Soniks

• 4 weeks later...

Archived