Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Rammellzee and Basquiat inquiry

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by DREDZ, Sep 14, 2003.

1. DREDZ

DREDZ Senior Member

I just have a quick question, and I didn't want to have to waste space and make a thread about it, but what the hell.

I have been a fan of the artwork of Jean-Michel Basquiat and Rammellzee for quite some time now; and recently I've been trying my damnedest to get my hands on the music that they made. I know that Ramm was an emcee back in the day (he was rapping in "Wildstyle") and I think that he still does the music thing, I heard that he was in a group in the 80's, but I have no idea what the name is, nor do I know the names of any albums; and I heard that Basquiat produced a rap album as well as other pieces of music, but I haven't a clue as to how to find them. I tried searching the web, but I had no luck.

If someone could help me out with some info or something, I would appreciate it.
    Squalay!

2. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

3. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

ya i wondered that too....

i did a kazaa search a while ago and turned up nothing.

didnt basquiat do some experimental electronic type stuff?
    or was it along the lines of hip hop?

4. DREDZ

DREDZ Senior Member

^^I think he freaked a bit of both^^

5. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

Gray was a band formed in New York City in 1979. Founding members included Jean-Michel Basquiat, Nick Marion Taylor and Vincent Gallo. The name was a reference to the book, Gray's Anatomy

A part of the thriving downtown music scene that included artists like DNA, Blondie, and Talking Heads, Gray reportedly never recorded but performed live a few times, most notably at the punk hangout the Mudd Club.

As Basquiat rose to fame as a painter and eventually became addicted to heroin, the band naturally got pushed off to the side. This year, recordings of the band finally surfaced and made it into the film Downtown 81. The closest thing to Gray recordings before this was when founding member Nick Marion Taylor contributed a song "Suicide Hotline" to the soundtrack for the film Basquiat that looped sounds from a prank call Basquiat made to a Suicide Hotline in NYC.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Gray

======================================
    Veloso's tropicalista motto, "I refuse to folklorize my underdevelopment," resonates with Basquiat, who played with art-world expectations of black identity by balancing his hip-hop ties with the downtown avant-garde of the no-wave scene. The only professional recording Basquiat ever made with his Mudd Club noise band, Gray, "Drum Mode," appears on the new Anti-NY (Gomma) compilation in two versions: the listless 1984 original that sounds like the inside of a hollow steel pipe and its 2001 remix by Paul Mogg, which puts Basquiat into the same global breakbeat loop that Otto feeds off of.

http://www.sfbg.com/36/20/x_frequencies.html

6. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

1978 - With Rammellzee, a disc jockey and graffiti artist, he enters the world of music and starts a band called Gray in memory of his anatomy book. Jazz and Rap music are influential to all his work.

7. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

there ya go dredz...... for the most part this is the most i could find. as far as a place to get the music...i'll look for it a bit later , or if you find one post it

8. toad_AAA

toad_AAA Member

yes he did

9. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

HEY TOAD......SHE DENIES ALL ALLEGATIONS!!

10. toad_AAA

toad_AAA Member

yea i know shes like why did you tell him
    hey IM me so we can talk guy

11. DREDZ

DREDZ Senior Member

You guys are my new best friends. Thanx for helping my ignorant ass out. peace peace

12. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

didn't he (Rammellzee) do a few tracks with the clash??

on another note, i own a mint copy of the revs album....fresh!

13. DREDZ

DREDZ Senior Member

Futura is the only writer, that I know of, that collabed with The Clash.

14. JesusMachine

JesusMachine Elite Member

You could check the end credits of Style Wars for Ramm's song in it.

I don't know why you would want this stuff--Basquiat and Rammellzee is way overrated. but, to each his own.

15. MagatsuTaito

MagatsuTaito Junior Member