Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

PC/Mac Connection Question

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Crimsøn, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Hey everybody...here's my dilemma.

Alrighty, I use slsk to aqcuire music, but I like my music
    to be on the laptop (mac). The only way that I know how to
    (or have figured out how to) transfer files off the pc onto
    the mac is to burn a cd.

This is inefficiant and lame. So does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. civic center

civic center New Jack

3. yoink

yoink Elite Member

it was either dazzle or vinyl that gave that info on here...I cant remember ..but I think you can hook it up, and treat yoru mac like a firewire harddrive and just transfer the shit.
    right now I have an external that I flip from each one.

4. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Yea I thought about that, but the pc doesn't have
    a firewire port, but they're both connected via an
    ethernet hub hooked to the network but I dont know
    if thats any help or not.

5. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

see what happens when connect them with a blue ethernet cable

6. Check your router software and manufacturer's website to see if it's capable of creating a Mac/PC network. There's a lot that can, I used to have a Linksys that would do it no problem. My current, a 3wire, doesn't.

7. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Alright heres my current situation, I have an ethenet cord coming
    into my room into a hub, then I have two additional ethernet cords;
    one for the pc, and one for the mac. So, in theory, they should
    already be connected...but I also tried connecting them together
    directly and couldn't find anything so I fucked with the network
    connections on the pc to try to find something but ended up
    restarting and now I can't remember by fuckin login password.

Sigh.

8. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Alright heres what it says:

- 2K MAC Look-Up
    - Automatic MAC Address Learning

I don't know what this means, or if its even relevant,
    but it said mac so...

...still researching though.

9. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

i think there's only one type of ethernet cable that can be used for a direct connection, maybe blue is not the right color. alao, maybe try running the network connection wizard, if you have Windows Xp. also i know there are sites specifically dedicated to networking information.

10. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

On a side note, I've been considering installing
    Virtual PC on here for a little while...if I were to
    do so would this help with the networking?

11. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

i run vpc on my machine, i don't think it would help. you'd have to connect to the mac in order to access the vpc in the first place.
    if you've net access on the mac, just install vpc and run slsk on that, works like a charm for me.

lots of programs that help with networking from pc2mac and mac2pc.. check Download.com, or VersionTracker.com .

12. Gnes 37

Gnes 37 Veteran Member

theres a program called timbuktu for pc and mac that allows swapping fiels controlling each other's computer etc etc real time saver

13. CAPiTA

CAPiTA Member

This is true. It's called a crossover cable. The order of wiring is different than straight through cables. You can tell the difference just by looking at the cable. As a crossover cable implies, the order of the wires (you'll be able to tell the order by their colors) is different on one side of the cable than on the other (I won't go into the exact order, as you won't actually be making your own cable). A straight-through will be the same on both sides.

After you've determined that you have a crossover cable, you need to get the proper software. Macs and PCs share files totally differently. You need client software on one of the two computers to get a connection.
    - On Windows there's software called PC MacLan (enable the PC to see the appleshare network)
    - On Mac there's Dave (enable the Mac to see the Windows file sharing)

Your best bet would probably be to get on your PC, boot up Kazaa, and swiftly jack PC MacLan from a fellow pirate. Then load that up on your system, plug the computers together, and start sharing files at 100mbps and stop wasting CDs.

Capita/nearly Cisco Networking Associate

14. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Alright, problem solved.

Once again, a thank you goes out to all who helped.

15. j

j Guest

hey, finally someone who knows something around here!

Just made a crossover today and put extra NIC's in my mac and pc (sitting side by side at work) to make a private network with the crossover cable (which I made this morning) so I could share my music on my slsk via a SMB share on the OS X machine. Works like a charm. Get on the slsk tip and nab some shit.

j/not alone with teh nerdsylez in hurrr