PC/Mac Connection Question

Crimsøn

Hey everybody...here's my dilemma.

Alrighty, I use slsk to aqcuire music, but I like my music

to be on the laptop (mac). The only way that I know how to

(or have figured out how to) transfer files off the pc onto

the mac is to burn a cd.

This is inefficiant and lame. So does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

it was either dazzle or vinyl that gave that info on here...I cant remember ..but I think you can hook it up, and treat yoru mac like a firewire harddrive and just transfer the shit.

right now I have an external that I flip from each one.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Check your router software and manufacturer's website to see if it's capable of creating a Mac/PC network. There's a lot that can, I used to have a Linksys that would do it no problem. My current, a 3wire, doesn't.

Originally posted by ARCEL

see what happens when connect them with a blue ethernet cable

Alright heres my current situation, I have an ethenet cord coming

into my room into a hub, then I have two additional ethernet cords;

one for the pc, and one for the mac. So, in theory, they should

already be connected...but I also tried connecting them together

directly and couldn't find anything so I fucked with the network

connections on the pc to try to find something but ended up

restarting and now I can't remember by fuckin login password.

Sigh.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

Check your router software and manufacturer's website to see if it's capable of creating a Mac/PC network. There's a lot that can, I used to have a Linksys that would do it no problem. My current, a 3wire, doesn't.

Alright heres what it says:

- 2K MAC Look-Up

- Automatic MAC Address Learning

I don't know what this means, or if its even relevant,

but it said mac so...

...still researching though.

Originally posted by Crimsøn

On a side note, I've been considering installing

Virtual PC on here for a little while...if I were to

do so would this help with the networking?

i run vpc on my machine, i don't think it would help. you'd have to connect to the mac in order to access the vpc in the first place.

if you've net access on the mac, just install vpc and run slsk on that, works like a charm for me.

lots of programs that help with networking from pc2mac and mac2pc.. check Download.com, or VersionTracker.com .

Originally posted by ARCEL

i think there's only one type of ethernet cable that can be used for a direct connection,

This is true. It's called a crossover cable. The order of wiring is different than straight through cables. You can tell the difference just by looking at the cable. As a crossover cable implies, the order of the wires (you'll be able to tell the order by their colors) is different on one side of the cable than on the other (I won't go into the exact order, as you won't actually be making your own cable). A straight-through will be the same on both sides.

After you've determined that you have a crossover cable, you need to get the proper software. Macs and PCs share files totally differently. You need client software on one of the two computers to get a connection.

- On Windows there's software called PC MacLan (enable the PC to see the appleshare network)

- On Mac there's Dave (enable the Mac to see the Windows file sharing)

Your best bet would probably be to get on your PC, boot up Kazaa, and swiftly jack PC MacLan from a fellow pirate. Then load that up on your system, plug the computers together, and start sharing files at 100mbps and stop wasting CDs.

Capita/nearly Cisco Networking Associate

Originally posted by CAPiTA

This is true. It's called a crossover cable. The order of wiring is different than straight through cables. You can tell the difference just by looking at the cable. As a crossover cable implies, the order of the wires (you'll be able to tell the order by their colors) is different on one side of the cable than on the other (I won't go into the exact order, as you won't actually be making your own cable). A straight-through will be the same on both sides.

After you've determined that you have a crossover cable, you need to get the proper software. Macs and PCs share files totally differently. You need client software on one of the two computers to get a connection.

- On Windows there's software called PC MacLan (enable the PC to see the appleshare network)

- On Mac there's Dave (enable the Mac to see the Windows file sharing)

Your best bet would probably be to get on your PC, boot up Kazaa, and swiftly jack PC MacLan from a fellow pirate. Then load that up on your system, plug the computers together, and start sharing files at 100mbps and stop wasting CDs.

Capita/nearly Cisco Networking Associate

hey, finally someone who knows something around here!

Just made a crossover today and put extra NIC's in my mac and pc (sitting side by side at work) to make a private network with the crossover cable (which I made this morning) so I could share my music on my slsk via a SMB share on the OS X machine. Works like a charm. Get on the slsk tip and nab some shit.

j/not alone with teh nerdsylez in hurrr

thanks bro, still diggin yours.

the only thing that rocks harder is the 2manyDJs I downloaded from Kilo today.. sweetness!

and Al Green, I got a shitload of files up today for ya.. Cheers.

maybe someone's already said it here, but, again:

1. turn off the mac.

2. hold down the "T" key and press the power button.

3. keep holding T until you see the firewire logo* appear on the screen.

4. connect the mac to your PC with firewire.

5. your mac should now load into the PC as an external hard drive.

6. ta da!

http://www.kefk.net/Fotografie/Digital/Schnittstellen/Logos/firewire-logo.jpg'>

Went to system prefs on the mac, toggled 'personal file sharing'

and 'windows file sharing' on. Then I just went in IE on the pc,

and entered my ip/my login and BLAM I was set to go.

Plus, my dad the network guy, looked at (and fixed)

some other problems the PC was having.

So in conclusion, I think it was the two changes in the

system prefs that did it, but I couldn't fully say at this

point in time.

Archived