oldest car still in service?

seeking

what's the oldest car anyone's seen still in service? im not talking about pieces, just the car itself.

obviously not every car has built dates, but im sure cracked an ese have payed attention to shit like this... and even if they havent seen em, they have an idea of the oldest cars running...

off the top of my head, oldest ive seen is early 60's, although i wouldnt doubt if some of the scrap metal cars were older...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest schick1

i caught a car that said 68 on it that the oldest ive seen it was brown and had some out of bussines freight company(i forget) written on it in the sadist(spell check) fashion, all crooked and fadded. i know that doesn't help though

Fuuny for this topic to pop up. Today I noticed a car that said its production date was 6-34. Or something like this. This was not a box car, but a flat car with railings, and a catwalk going down the middle. Now this may be wrong, but that is what the date said. The car did happen to look farley new, maybe it was supposed to say 94. Anyway, thats all.

We have local coalies here that have build dates in the late 50's... 57 maybe...

I think the oldest regular stuff Ive seen is 72

I really love old cars... the older the bettter, but I also get really excited when I see cars that were built on my birthday

This seems impossible to find out for sure. I never looked closely at built dates, and I recall meeting only a couple of cars older than I am (a weird thought). With repaints, repairs, and overhauls, the oldest cars may not look the part anymore. I would be interested in flicks of very old cars with original paint schemes, like DRGW, Hydra-Cushion SPs and SSWs, Frisco boxes, etc. but not dead cars, just ones that still run.

Guest mazer1
Originally posted by Raw fish

We have local coalies here that have build dates in the late 50's... 57 maybe

same.. 58. i am pretty sure..

Guest amorphic

On the ALaska Rail line, one boxcar dated '43, rebuilt and refurbished in '68. That thing was funky looking to say the least. It's also alaska so what can you expect.

Guest cheesecurd

there's a line of small hoppers used for carrying sand around here that were originally used for takonite (spelling sux) pellets (low grade iron ore). they haven't been refurbished or nothing, all dated from april to september 1934. what a bunch of peices of shit.

Guest cheesecurd

oldies

there's these old iron ore trains that roll through all the time, built from april to september 1934, even before the steel penny. what a bunch of rustbuckets.

Archived