Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Comandante Fidel Castro, a film by Oliver Stone.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by imported_Tesseract, Feb 8, 2004.

1. I just watched this some hours ago.
    Its a 100 minute documentary where Oliver Stone interviews Fidel Castro, as the second tours stone all over Havana, Cuba.
    The final cut is from a 30 hour material where Castro never said 'cut' once (as written in the beginning of the film.

I dont even wanna express my personal opinion at this moment, i have memorized some lines to quote though, and a critical question will follow.

-Stone: Which was the russian goverment that stopped suporting Cuba?
    -Castro: The russian goverment that stopped supporting Cuba was the american goverment.

-Castro: Oliver, where you decorated in vietnam?
    -Stone: Yes
    -Castro: where you injured?
    -Stone: Yes, twice
    -Castro: And still, taking my interview requires the same courage...

Now, i know that most americans have a very certain way of viewing Castro and Communism but this movie is really an eye-opener.

I was wondering if that film will be played in the states. If it is, go see it!
    If it aint, start questinioning your kind of democracy.

2. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

looks great. why is this the first time i have heard about it? i'm going to keep my eyes open. thanks for the heads up

3. old*824

old*824 Senior Member

good lookin tesseract.

4. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable Senior Member

5. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

Bleh I think they should lift trade sanctions on Cuba I really dont see how this is helping anything. It just seems to be causing pain.

6. Bump!

so i've read that HBO was to play this but never did...not even a question of hitting the theaters there

:tongue:

7. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

I never heard of it, but I’m north of the border, so hopefully it’ll be around. Sounds good.

8. When I first heard about this movie, my first thought was "I MUST watch this, it will be fucking awesome".

My second thought was "It's Ollie Stone, so I'll probably need to wear my skeptic goggles".

And now, after reading a bunch of reviews, it seems I might have to use a skeptic biosuit. Apparently it's amazing, and eye-opening indeed, but it smacks of subjectivity and sympathy, and the real tough questions are avoided. I'm still gonna watch it given the chance, and take it more as a personal character study than a political one, because that's what interests me the most... Castro as an actual person, rather than the bigger-than-life political figure he is.

Good looking out... I'm also anxious to see "Persona Non Grata".

9. I dont think that someone like you and me could ever get rid of the skeptic goggles, leave alone the skeptic biosuit....thats a duty we all have towards everything, movie reviews included.

The questions cover everything, some are nayve, some are harsh, some are stupid..however Castro is like a river stream, he talks and talks and talks (like he always did) with clarity and charm making the question less and less important. I'm telling you this, the man really exposes him self as a person and as a pollitician and it takes balls to do that.

I'll finish this with an Oliver Stone quote from a bbc interview that rings truth to me.

"Castro is a real person, in flesh and bones...i personally believe that Bush is an artificial figure who can never look in your eyes and would never find the guts to expose himself infront of a camera for 30 hours"

I hope you'll get to see it, will it be played there?

10. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

haha, mamerro, that's what i was thinking too.
    i'm not a huge stone fan, but i dig the dude's willingness
    to whatever.. ....tackle things close to his heart for the world to see..
    i heard about this and will watch it asap.
    the quote about bush from stone..is unbelievably on
    point. that pmb posted wedding video..i saw that and i
    thought, gee, he looks comfortable and stuff, BUT..
    dude reeks of smug privilege. there is a reason he
    is the first pres to give(not) such a puny amount of
    press sessions. out of touch. cue hall and oates biatch.

11. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

btw, fidel is looking mighty dapper in that poster shot.

12. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

imitation pleather castro jackets will be selling for lots of dollars on the trendy avenues where there's lots of trucker hats, art students, and out of town graffiti.

13. mighty dapper, indeed dude has the eye in the film..you'll see what i mean.

Anyway, to be perfectly honest i dont like Stone either, most of his films bug me in one way or another..still, i recognise the same things you mention in him. My hat is off to Castro for doing this...its his willingless that is to reward in this case.

Nomatter how you view Castro, this film is essential to built a better case.

14. BOZACK

BOZACK Member

correct you are, mr. stone