Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Buying a new computer....What should I get???

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by MESTHREE, Mar 26, 2003.

1. MESTHREE

MESTHREE Dirty Dozen Crew

I am going to be buying a new computer soon. I need it for graphic design/web page design purposes. I know enough about computer software but not that much about hardware. What should I be looking for so I dont get scammed. I want it to be able to handle photoshop illustrator,dreamweaver and preferably all at once. I need someonthing with a good graphics card and lots of ram so what should I be looking for?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...oh and my budget is about 1500 before tax.

2. Born Loser

Born Loser New Jack

Well I would say go with a mac g4 but I hate macs so..mah!

3. MESTHREE

yah I should have mentioned... its gotta be a PC not a mac

4. Giving Tree

Giving Tree Senior Member

MES BABY!!

haha.. i havent heard from you in a minute.. still want me to come stay up there?

why aint you on aim no more girl?

5. EveryWhere

EveryWhere Senior Member

Well... a Cheap 999$ dell is ok, if you can find cheaper go for it

a hard drive with 40gigs is suffient i would think, but mine is 120 cause of game purposes

any thing should u should get standard.

CDrw/DVD drives are always recomended

and because your doing images and shit.. go with the Zip Drive.

And maybe 3.5 Floppy if its cheap or free

6. Spade

Spade New Jack

If you're seriously gonna do graphics you gotta get a Mac. Just find one with a good graphics card and a big monitor. If you just need to do a little graphics (and play games like battlefield 1942) get a pc. look for the same things as in a mac, and make sure to get about 500mb ram and a geforce 4 as ur card.

7. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

Here's what *NOT* to do: buy a complete computer with software installed. If you really want a good computer that'll be quite a bit more reliable than normal... build it yourself. Order your parts online, if you buy stuff from CompUSA or CircuitCity, Best Buy etc.... you'll pay a fortune. Here's a very rough list of what I'd suggest:

1.5-2GHZ AMD processor and whatever mother board that runs it (they're a little cheaper than Intel)
    512MB RAM
    Whatever size hard disk that's necessary (they're pretty cheap)
    CD drive (can be a burner or a dvdrom if you wanna spend extra)
    NVidia or ATI video card (if you get a nice one it should help with displaying hi-res graphics and fast monitor refresh rates)
    CRT Monitor, with the intro of flat screens, you can get a big CRT for a rather inexpensive price.
    Keyboard/mouse can be generic
    Sound is optional, but cards are cheap if you decide you want it.

I dunno what program you're gonna be using to do the graphic design... so it's hard to say exactly more or less what'd be good. A good site to buy components is www.pricewatch.com. My email address is in my profile, if you need more help, feel free to ask me there.

8. MESTHREE

thanks for the advice... Trust me Id love to buy a mac but I cant afford it they are too expensive and so are all the programs. What I would be using are illustrator 10 photoshop 6 quark dreamweaver 4 adobe go live and a few minor 3d programs just to fuck arround with.

9. MESTHREE

How does this system sound?

512 mb ram
    80 gig 7200 rpm hard drive
    cdrw + floppy
    32 bit 3d graphics
    17" flat screen

comes with printer and free upgrades and its 1237 canadian.... from www.mdg.ca

oh and Im not on aim anymore cause Im just too damn busy.. :(

10. Mr.LonelyHeart

Mr.LonelyHeart Member

I got an old iMac off ebay a little while back for about $300 and it works fine.

-go with Mac ;)

11. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

^^^yup, get A MAC!

Seriously, Macs are the best for graphics.
    Do some shopping around, its worth looking first.
    I bought mine for $1100 US. I got a G4 400.
    I can open Photshop, and Illustrator. Dreamweaver
    I would have to shut off a program. I can run
    Bryce. I got Amorphium. Final Cut Pro. Its upgradable
    to like 2Gigs, which is more than enough. RAM
    is kinda cheap right now too. For graphics, you
    really should go with a Mac. A tower, not an Imac,
    you cant upgrade the iMac as much.

12. Spade

Spade New Jack

Sftware is t expensive? I got photshp 7 fr free. P2P sharing roxor.
    Also, if you dOn't know much about computer hardware DO NOT BUILD YOUR OWN COMPUTER. You will only end up with problem after problem.

13. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

I don't pay for software... If you want to buy all your programs for a Mac, fine... or maybe you know someone that has them. They aren't the most abundant and easiest thing to get software for. I think the MacOS gui is cumbersome and boring. There's lots of cool things you can do with PCs that you *cannot* do with Macs, as there are *far* less developers for the Macintosh community. Mac users are a minority, and they can't do anything that a good PC can't do....

14. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

*blasphemy*

^^^meh!

Get a mac, theyre made for what
    youre planning on using it for.

15. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

mes3...

there's only one thing I need to say....

www.pcused.com / www.cpused.com

some deals like...

PowerMac G4 400Mhz 256/20GB/DVD Graphite $1349
    G3 iMac 600Mhz 128/40GB/CD/56k $1249

and my personal pic...

PowerTower Athlon 2100+ (1.73 GHz) 256MB DDR-RAM/ 80GB HD / 56k Mdm/ 100T/ Combo 16xDVD-32xCD-RW/ 64MB nVidia GeForce4 MX440 w/TV-Out/ USB 2.0/ Firewire/ WinXP Home with 2.1 speakers, Headset, Microphone, Keyboard & Mouse -- 1 Year PCUsed Warranty $1269

Keep it local!