Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

BRETT EASTON ELLIS

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by DR+DELUSION, May 6, 2004.

1. DR+DELUSION

DR+DELUSION Member

man this guy's work is soooooo fucking coooooool. i forgot how cool he really is. i just finished a week long ellis reading spree during which i read the informants once, less than zero twice, american psycho twice, the rules of attraction which is totally gay, and glamorama twice. but glamorama is lame because it takes place in the 90s when the whole 60s revival thing was happening and everybody was wearing stupid peace sign medallions and smoking lots of pot and being pseudoneohippies.

less than zero is by far the best. i used to want to go to malibu, palm springs, LA etc soooo bad but this book changed my mind and made me hate that whole beverly hills fucked up rich kid lifestyle. then i realized that this was not too rational and i now wanna go again. anyway, the guy is a genius. if you don't like his work then you're dumb.

now i'm inspired to wear a daily uniform of black levis 501s and wayfarers and get a badass tan and overuse the word "totally."

2. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

3. DR+DELUSION

DR+DELUSION Member

4. 2 blaazed

2 blaazed New Jack

5. DR+DELUSION

DR+DELUSION Member

if you're an uneducated and illiterate gangsterfag who doesn't really read anything but muder dogg whatever magazine, please refrain from posting kthks.

6. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

i did like american psycho... though i can see why some one wouldn't.

by the end, i was skipping over most of the designer descriptions

7. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable Senior Member

8. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

brett easton ellis IS an amazing writer. ive read all his books except for glamorama. it is the detail in american psycho that really got me involved into his work. the movie does the book absolutely no justice what-so-ever. the scene w/ tube stuffed into her vaginga then putting an unfed rat up there only so the rat eats its way out of her stomach later on at the end of the scene, cant put that in a movie. that book also inspired me to want to become a creative wrtng teacher.

9. DR+DELUSION

DR+DELUSION Member

hmmmm it seems everyone's read american psycho, which is great in a disturbing way, but LESS THAN ZERO is where it's at.

TOTALLY.

10. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

i feel that his early books are all too similar w/ their themes and even characterization. i havent read them since hs so i can not be so precise. from what i remember all the characters were teenagers who were rich, disassociated from their parents and peers, and were able to get into clubs where they over indulged in sex, drugs, and alcohol without a care in the world. then when american psycho came along i felt as if it was a departure from his pervious style/plots (though the theme of overindulgence runs through all his work) bc all his previous books took place in southern california where as psycho took place in nyc. (man, why do i feel like i am wrtng a paper?)

11. seven.13

seven.13 Dirty Dozen Crew

I haven't thought about this guy since I was 12. I guess I was really into his books then... esp. American Psycho and Less Than Zero.

12. seven.13

seven.13 Dirty Dozen Crew

P.S

And I agree with GamblersGin
    "i feel that his early books are all too similar w/ their themes and even characterization"

Overdosing, bloody, brutal sex and money get old after a while.

13. MrChupacabra

MrChupacabra 12oz Loyalist

I read Glamorama about a month ago, it was good, but quite odd in a not bad way. I'll probably check out less then zero if its a lot better then the others and i was planning to get around to american psycho at some point soon or this summer.

14. Something wrong there bud?

15. Im Broke

Im Broke Senior Member