Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Cooking with Are2

but you still get to make things all day, right? on a different level. you just can't eat them.

yeah tapas places are popular now. i like them because its the whole commumal eating thing. you don't have to sit down for a formal meal. just a few drinks and some good food that you share with friends.

and its good for the chef too. you can get a really low food cost on tapas dishes because the portions are smaller.

i was a little drunk last night when i came home so i made samosas with mango chutney. i used puff pastry instead of making a dough, though.

chutney: mangoes, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic, a bit of water to get it cooking, cayenne pepper for heat. throw all that in a pot and cook it until the mangoes break down.

meat for the puff pastry: ground beef. (this is what i had, you can use anything), garam masala, curry powder, ginger, onion, garlic. thats the basics. i threw in some cubed potatoes and green pepper. cook that up and let it cool.

cut the puff pastry into squares and put some filling in the middle. fold it over so it makes a triangle. make sure it stays closed by gluing it w/ some butter or egg wash. pinch the edges to ensure they're closed. either bake them in a 400 oven (egg wash to make them brown nicely) or throw them in some hot oil for a quick minute.

dip in mango chutney for the goodness.

Good story HP, days sounds nice, and you got to love some samosa once and a while. There is this Indian family that moved down the street from me, I love Indian so much that I'm thinking about bartering for cooking lessons or food.

And !@#$% you got to not talk about that, who will keep this thread up? I heard this was on the short list for a Best of 12oz Dewberry, I forgot the category.

i bought this the other day and made a curry with it..

B000B6FLFW.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

it was ...diced shallot

1/2 cup onion

2 carrots, diced

smidge of garlic

saute together with a bit of salt and pepper

add 3 diced potatoes

and enough veggie stock to just cover them

add a bunch of the curry powder

i also like coriander, so i added a bit more of that

and a dash of cilantro

cook on medhigh heat for 15 minutes (about) until potatoes are tender

add frozen peas or cauliflower or another veg you like

serve with rice.

i like jasmine.

alsop really good with this stuff:

trader joe's nann

DSCN3224.JPG

I like basmati for Indian, it's very fragrant as well.

There are about a million and one ways to cook rice, probably a type of cooking for every grain. Many cultures actually wash the uncooked rice before cooking, perplexing for many nutritionists who thought many nutrition deficiencies could be solved by "enriching" rice with nutrients found lacking in other parts of their diets. Lets talk some ways I've discovered for cooking rice a moment. Japanese rice, aka Korean Rice, aka Sushi Rice is a short grained starchy rice. It is generally washed, rinsed, and then cooked with about 1.4153:1 water to rice. It is cooked until it is done and left covered. Arborio, Carnaroli, etc, Risotto Rice is similar to Sushi rice in that it is short grained, and some people use it interchangably, I for one have not. Risotto can be made in many differing ways, generally speaking the rice is sauteed for a few minutes in oil, some onion is added, then the liquid is added hot and in stages while stirring, and then finished with cream and then butter so the final product is creamy but not runny, and the rice is just cooked through (think al dente, to the tooth). Jasmine rice, a long grain rice named for it's fragrant scent is cooked the same as sushi rice. Basmati is often soaked in water a couple hours, drained, washed, boiled for 5 minutes in lots of water, drained and covered to steam for twenty minutes.

mmmm curry. theres this recipe that i have from cooking school that i use when i make indian.

i pulled it out specifically for you guys...

Cauliflower, Pea, and potato Bhaji

2 tbsp clarified butter

1 large onion sliced

2 cloves garlic crushed

1 tbsp sweet paprika

1 tsp garam masala (its a spice mix, recipe to follow)

2 tsp ground cumin

6 pods green cardamom bruised

6 curry leaves

1/3 cup shredded coconut

1/2 cup coconut milk

2 tsp salt

4 med potato, quartered or cut up however you want

1 small cauliflower, broken up into individual florets

1 cup green peas

1. heat clarified butter in a medium pot, cook onion and garlic until onion is browned slightly

2. add all spices, cook until fragrant, then add curry leaves, cocnut, water, coconut milk, salt, potatoes. simmer covered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender

3.add cauli, simmer until cauli is tender. throw in the peas until they are heated through.

Garam masala. its just a spice mix, so you can put in anything, but this is a good mix.

(all these ingredients are the whole seeds or whatever. just use the same ratio if you are using powdered stuff)

2 tbsp cardamom

1 tbsp cloves

1 tbsp cumin

0.5 tbsp coriander

1 tbsp black peppercorns

2 inches cinnamon stick

toast those bad boys for a minute or two in a pan with NO oil. don't let them brown.

grind up in a coffe grinder or bud buster, whatever you like to call it.

store in a jar and pretend you are from india when you cook

and dude, i love making rice. an old filipina lady taught me a trick so you don't need to measure the water. perfect rice every time.

and dude' date=' i love making rice. an old filipina lady taught me a trick so you don't need to measure the water. perfect rice every time.[/quote']

Yeah, it's the first knuckle trick right? Whenever you put the rice in the pot and add the water, you lay your hand plam down on the rice (smaller pots of rice you won't be able to, just lay your whole 4 fingers pads down on the rice), the water should come up past your first knuckle almost to the main knuckle of your hand. Don't worry if your fingers sit in the rice a bit, that's part of the trick.

Here is another rice recipe for youts. Chinese rice I cook the same way as japanese and jasmine rice, but something else you can do with long grain rice: Mexican that shit. Soak dry rice in hot tap water for thirty minutes, then drain really well 5, 10 minutes or so, the longer the better. Bring a suitable amount of vegetable/corn/canola oil to hot in a pan (2c rice would call for about at least a third cup of oil). You could prolly use any type of oil that will go with your food. You want just enough oil, but you can't use too much, so if you have an excess you can strain it out at the end and discard. Cook till grains just start to turn gold, add some diced onion, and cook further until grains become golden and onions translucent. Strain if necessary. Add chicken/veg/seafood stock a little more than your used to 3(1/2)cups and simmer for ten minutes, then cover, remove from heat, and let sit 30 minutes.

mmmmmmmmm rice!

I make this usually with cold left over rice but it can be made with fresh rice too.

about 3 cups of cooked rice (cold or freshly cooked)

1 to 1.5 cups of finely diced carrots, celery & onion

about 5 strips of bacon (diced before cooking)

a chicken breast, diced

salt and pepper to taste

a dab of butter

Cook the diced chicken breast till no more pink...... add the diced veggies and bacon, cook on a fairly high heat till everything is cooked... drain most of the fat from the bacon, then add that dab of butter... about a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half.... season with with salt and pepper to your liking...... cook till everything is WELL done... then throw in your rice and mix and cook everything.

:)

There seem to be more recipes for California and San Francisco sourdough than there are bakers in the state,” says Linda Collister.

“Before a loaf was shaped and baked, the original pioneers and settlers kept back a portion of dough to leaven the next batch. These days, bakers use a range of leavens: saved sourdough starter, soupy sourdough leavens, fresh yeast, dried sourdough flavourings or bicarbonate of soda.

“The objective is a light-textured, mildly sour, well-risen white loaf. The authentic flavours comes from the foggy atmosphere and the water of the area, which are hard to reproduce, but this is a good approximation.”

Ingredients

(Makes 2 medium loaves)

200g sourdough starter – see note at bottom of page

500ml tepid water

15g fresh yeast - see note at bottom of page

900g unbleached strong white bread flour

2 teaspoons seas salt

2 baking sheets, greased

Method

Put the starter and water into a large bowl and mix with your hand to make a soupy batter. Crumble the yeast and work into the mixture. Mix the flour with the salt, then gradually beat into the liquid with your hand until well mixed. The dough should feel soft but not sticky: if it feels too slack, work in extra flour, 1 tablespoon at a time: if it feels hard or dry, or there are crumbs left in the bottom of the bowl, work in extra water, a tablespoon at a time.

Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead thoroughly to make a smooth, firm very supple dough. Return the dough to the bowl and cover with clingfilm. For the best flavour, let rise slowly in s cool room until doubled in size, about 4 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.

Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and punch down to deflate (if dough has been stored in the refrigerator, let it come back to room temperature before continuing, 1½-2 hours).

Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces, cover with a sheet of clingfilm and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape each portion into a neat ball, handling the dough as little as possible. Put onto the prepared sheets, then slide into a large plastic bag, slightly inflate and close the end. Let rise at normal room temperature until almost doubled in size, about 2 hours.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) gas mark 7. Put a roasting tin of water into the oven to heat: the steam created will help develop a good crust.

Uncover the loaves and quickly slash the top in a diamond pattern using a small serrated knife or razor blade. Put into the heated, steamy oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped underneath.

Cool on a wire rack and eat within 5 days or toast. Can be frozen for up to 1 month.

Note

If you don’t keep a sourdough starter, use a small piece of dough, about150g, saved from a previous batch of bread. Gradually work in enough tepid water to make a very soft dough, cover and leave for 8 hours at room temperature, then use 200g for the starter for this recipe.

To use easy –blend dried yeast, mix one 7g sachet with flour and salt, then work it into the sourdough starter and water mixture.

porky beans

Cooking time: Approximately 1-1¼ hours

Ingredients

(4 large, or 8 small portions)

15ml (1 tablespoon) oil

450g (1lb) lean pork leg cubes

4 chipolata sausages

2 lean back bacon rashers, finely chopped

15ml (1 tablespoon) dark brown sugar

15ml (1 tablespoon) tomato purée

400g can baked beans

150ml (¼pt) Pork stock

Method

In a large ovenproof casserole dish the heat oil. Add the lean pork leg cubes, the chipolata sausages (squeeze, twist and cut them if you want to make 8 smaller sausages) and the bacon, and cook until lightly browned.

Add the dark brown sugar, tomato purée, baked beans and pork stock and stir well together.

Cover the dish and cook in a preheated oven for 1-1¼ hours until the pork cubes are tender.

Serve with creamy mash, green beans and carrot sticks

Ham and Cheese Puffs

Serves 4

Description/Notes:

Savory cubes of cheese and ham in a tasty batter

Ingredients:

4 oz. (125g) cooked ham

4 oz. (125g) smoked cheese

2 eggs

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

half a pint (300ml) skimmed milk

pinch of salt

4 oz. (125g) plain flour

Cooking Instructions:

Pre-heat the oven to 425F, Gas Mark 7, 220C

Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and make a well into the center

Add the eggs and gradually beat in the milk to form a smooth batter

Place the oil into a 7 inch (18cm) square baking tin and pace in pre-heated oven

Cut the ham and cheese into three quarter inch (2cm) cubes

Remove the baking tin from oven and scatter the cubes of cheese and ham in the tin

Pour the batter over the cubes and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until golden brown and puffy

• 3 weeks later...

bump this shit mothafuckas!

I met Anthony Bourdain today. Haha, when dude looks at you you know he's sizing you up like, 'can he hack it?' A cooks cook for sure. He has a new book out and was doing a radio interview. Long ass interview... The only way to put it is that dude is real. You know if you had to work service with him things would be ok.

I just had this thought. Chefs are equivalent to the sea captains of old.

Anyway, Salmon:

Put some sugar, salt, pepper, dill, cumin, bit of oil. rub that into the salmon. marinate. a couple hours max, the salt will draw too much salt out if you leave it too long.

then take it and fold it up in some aluminunm foil so it won't leak and bake in a hot oven (450) until done.

make sure to serve the juices that are left over with the fish.

buahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaa.....................................yeah prolly not there "buddy".... but im sure you got one wit "dees" in it.............................................

this made me laugh. so poseidon.

• 1 month later...

^check TJ's website?

make a fuckin ICE CREAM CAKE

get some ice cream that you like and let it thaw a little

get or make a graham cracker crust (half a box of cruched crackers mixed with a bit of sugar and about 1/4 cup melted butter, press it into the pan)

spread the ice cream, or several kinds of ice cream if you like, into the pan

let it freeze.

serve it wiht fudge, caramel, or whatever the hell you like to put on top

a few on the internet suggested coconut.

which reminded me of

PIÑA COLADAS

1 part pineapple juice

1 part coconut milk

1 part rum

1 tblsp sugar

splash of lime

crushed ice

blend and guzzle

you know what would be good on top of those pina coladas? COCONUT FOAM!

we were fooling around at work the other day and i put coconut milk into one of those restaraunt whipped crem containers, the ones that you pressurize with whipits. symbols will know what im talking about. anyway, the end result is this foam that just dissappears when you put it on your tongue but is super coconut flavored. its so good.

oh, i just had another idea for foam! maybe 25% whipped cream, a dash of vanilla, icing sugar, and and 75%orange juice. it would taste like a creamsicle!

anyway, i have no recipes or anything to offer today, just my culinary ramblings....

I totally had a feeling like I should check out 12oz to see where this threads off too, Page 3, that's pretty awesome considering the usual 6, or 8, or 12. Anyhow, congrats on meeting TB, HP! I'm so jealous. He's over at eGullet.org quite a bit, though not lately as his new show is taking a toll on his free time. Also, check them out as they have alot of folks interested in that whole techie ball of wax. I haven't the resources otherwise I would be making "ravioli" and "spaghetti" and "air" and "caviar" and "powder", etc. of all sorts of shit. I have just started to rekindle an interest after watching Decoding Ferran Adria, apparently Tony's last episode for the Food Network after he got kicked off. I'm still not sure I'd want to do that if I had a place of my own, but it's important to be understand what's been done. What I liked most about the guy was that the first place he took Tony was a back alley ham shop or boutique, to taste many air cured hams he doesn't make himself. I think he took him there out of a respect for the old ways. It really sucks that Tony's next episode isn't until January. I guess I'll wait a month or two before reading his new book.

Anyway, I have to go eat so I can have enough energy for a little hike around the hills before work, peace guys.

This had more recent posts that Raven's thread....so I guess this cooking thread wins out.

It is the 12oz mainstay cooking thread after all.

5 Roma tomatoes (do I need to stress ripeness and quality here? Not much else in the dish.)

1 clove garlic minced

juice of 1/2 lemon

around a third of a cup chopped basil and parsley (more or less to taste, of course)

healthy pinch of salt

half cup of fresh parmesian, although romano is good/ maybe better.

Olive oil to cover

Boil the tomatoes for one minute, peal and de-seed them. Cut into tiny chunks. Put all the ingrediants into a bowl and let it sit for forty five minutes or so, and then toss with pasta immediately after draining the pasta (while shit is still hot). Let it sit for a minute or two and enjoy.

Best combination of ease and economy I have found in a while. Like five minutes of collective effort aside from making sure the pasta doesn't boil over.

Just to point out that while I was posting, Tony Bourdain and his production crew were trapped in their Beruit hotel during the bombings that began this week. If anyone is interested in his experience, he has alot to say over on http://www.egullet.org Also, secondary to this I was lucky enough to find the elBulli website over there as well, http://www.elBulli.com It's chock full of history and well, i haven't gotten past that yet, so I'll tell you when I see it.

i cant give you any cool recipes and what not since i think alot of cooking has nothing to do with ingredients its how you cook it. but instead let me give you some japanese/korean stuff that i eat on a daily basis.

su-ponzu.gif

Ponzu

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ponzu (???) is a citrus-based sauce commonly used in Japanese cuisine. It is very tart in flavor, with a thin, watery consistency and a light yellow color. Commercially available ponzu is generally sold in glass bottles, which may have some sediment at the bottom.

Production

Ponzu is made by boiling mirin, rice vinegar, katsuobushi flakes, and seaweed (konbu) over medium heat. When cool the liquid is strained to remove the katsuobushi flakes and the juice of one or more of the following: yuzu, sudachi, daidai, and kabosu (Japanese citrus fruits), and sometimes also lemon, is added.

Ponzu shoyu (?????) is ponzu sauce with soy sauce (shoyu) added, but it is still widely referred to as simply ponzu.

Uses

Ponzu is traditionally used as a dressing for tataki (lightly grilled, then chopped meat or fish), and also as a dip for nabemono (one pot dishes) such as shabu shabu.

i use it when making sauces. difficult to describe but imagine a citrusy soy sauce but without the strong wine salty taste. i do usually mix soy sauce with it however because i love fucking salt on everything. its worth a try. however if you are vegetarian look for one that does not have katsuo or katsuo dashi, which is basically fish flakes. they make it, but it make take alot of looking because only 5% of the ponzu i find on the shelves dont contain the katsuo. i also use this for eating my soba with since the soba sauce usually contains the katsuo.

age%203k.jpg

usuage

its basically very thin tofu. i use it in stir fry dishes rather than regular tofu which eventually turns into psuedo scrambled eggs. but i fry it seperate from the veggies in order to get it to the crispyness i like. it also can hold a seperate flavor from the veggies that you are cooking. really good with a mango/hot pepper sauce.

SPICE-PAS-HCHD-DOINJANG-2.gif

korean miso

i love miso. this brand is really good if you can find it. i usually use the red hot pepper type or the green type container kind. im not sure what the green ones flavor is since i cant read korean. the brown one in the picture is just regular plain ol miso which id recommend a japanese one instead. i use this as a soup stock or again in stir fry sauces. if you dont use miso please start because its damn good.

tsukemono.jpg

tsukemono

tsukemono is pickled veggies. usually pickled in a rice vinegar. i eat it as my breakfast with white rice. when i first had it, i didnt like it. but after awhile i started to really get a taste for them. give it a try. they come in a variety of veggies and colors.

The basic tomato salad. I would hope most people here would have this as a given in there food vocabulary, but when I made this at the last minute at a bar-b-q recently people were really impressed...

A variety of cherry/grape tomatoes

Peeled, halved and sliced cucumber

Coarsely minced red onion

Mozzarella chunks or balls

Chopped fresh basil

A few chopped hearts of palm

Vinaigrette

Kosher salt and pepper

green type container kind

ha ha

You mean the Korean fermented hot red pepper paste, Gochujang? I used to work at a place made their own, it took like six months, they had these huge earthenware vessels they fermented it in. It's funny that you use the same kind I use. Ah well my new box lies unopened on the shelf right now as I haven't had the urgent need for it yet. I bought their miso as well (pictured) since the Japanese kind always seems to come in plastic bags and get beaten up in my fridge since I don't use it that much, any favorite uses, Korean in particular? I am seriously wanting Japanese breakfast right now, they do it up right. And I'll have to try that usuage, I haven't ever noticed it before, does it keep well?

yeah it stays for a long time. i usually pick up a few at a time because i am too lazy to travel to korean town everytime i need it. but once i open it i usually pop it in the fridge.

i use it for sauces in stir fries. after you fried your vegetables put a scoop of miso, add pepper and hot pepper if you want it hotter, a little soy sauce, a table spoon of sesame oil, squeeze half a lemon, 200ml of water or less depending on how much sauce you want and a little starch in a measuring cup and mix it pretty good. i also put ponzu in it but im not sure of how available it is in your area. heat for a few minutes until the sauce is thick.

ive used other brands of the korean miso but they were really concentrated and didnt have a good taste to them, just a little hot. also i like that brand because those containers come in pretty handy if you clean them out and refill them with the miso in the bag type.

i can ask my girlfriend for recipes on how to cook a japanese breakfast. her nimono is really damn good. usually she just eats a huge bowl of japanese white rice and tsukemono. sometimes a little umeboshi, or natto. most people cant handle natto. its fermented soybeans with a sauce that has the consistency of snot and elmers glue. its smells a bit foul too but i have come to like it. if she can't eat white rice atleast once a day she starts to go crazy. i on the other hand can barely eat a small bowl of it before i get full. its like glue consistency and has no taste. give me brown rice anyday or even better bread! i really miss bread:unhappy2:

Archived