Travels with CALI...

CALIgula

we got some shade and rested our feet for about a good hour....at this point it was already about 3pm.

it started to get pretty hot out, so my gf suggested a root beer float....

she drank half of it before I even got to take a flick! :(

damn.

DSC07428.jpg.fa10f5ecbd2d7bd10e7549312a421b0a.jpg

Well, my homie that called me yesterday drove out too to bring his 4 year old son out, and we met up with them...the rest of the time, we pretty much hung out in the shade and watched his son play in the yo gabba gabba bounce house.....shortly after that (at around 4:30pm), we left to beat traffic.

I read something on the internet a few weeks ago that I thought was a hoax....these younger kids are dying their hair grey...its a new fashion trend i guess......i didnt really believe it till my girlfriend also told me about it....then on Saturday at picnic day, I saw some young girl in her early 20's rocking her hair like that.....then the next day, at the asparagus festival, I saw another girl with grey hair....i flicked it (see red arrow)..

DSC07430.jpg.1f6730db44857509a490e49f90477c7f.jpg

wtf is this wack ass shit?!!?.....i swear this new generation of youngsters is fucking wack as fuck!....i earned my grey hairs you bitches! LOL

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

All in all, this was a fun day too, but we were extremely exhausted at the end of the day.

Our cell phones each said that we took 10,000+ steps.....with the 17,000 from the day before, we took almost 30,000 steps this weekend.....i dont know how many miles that is, but its a lot.

Overall, I feel like the new asparagus festival is not like it used to be....i miss the actual asparagus theme everywhere, and like i said before this felt more like a county or state fair than an actual asparagus festival....they didnt even have asparagus for sale! and the fact that they didnt offer the asparagus foods like before, the venue was much smaller and the lines were all super long because of poor planning, i dont think we will return for a few years until they get their shit together.

well, anyways, I hope you liked the thread so far...theres a lot more to come in the next few months....stay tuned!...the next event we will be going to will be in a few weeks.

By the way.....Shout out to John Steinbeck!!....my thread title is a bite from one of his books....lol.

• Like 2

keep posting up. This is a great thread

You've kind of inspired me to check out some events round my way.

Missed a wicked Lego thing recently.

cool! thanks man!...Lego event wouldve been cool!...yeah, if you go to any events coming up, take lots of flicks!...i really enjoy your travel threads too.

big band, mini horses, & a root beer float.. nicely done. intrigued at the fried asparagus

jealous bull

thanks...i would mail you some fried asparagus in exchange for you to mail me some poutine...but i dont think either would be that good when it arrived...lol.

Travels With Charlie is the only book i have ever read.

How'd you like it?

have said this before, but only ever had asparagus once. apparently ate a fair amount of it, because my piss stank

thanks...i would mail you some fried asparagus in exchange for you to mail me some poutine...but i dont think either would be that good when it arrived...lol.

lol yeah. poutines mad basic, though. just gravy + cheese curds if you dont want to add bells & whistles to it. not to tempt you, with the heart & all

have said this before, but only ever had asparagus once. apparently ate a fair amount of it, because my piss stank

lol yeah. poutines mad basic, though. just gravy + cheese curds if you dont want to add bells & whistles to it. not to tempt you, with the heart & all

its actually funny because you dont need a whole lot of asparagus to make your piss stank....i can have one spear and have smelly pee..lol.

yeah, i should wait till the ticker is better before i try poutine.

• 2 weeks later...

And so the Travels with CALI festival thread continues...

On Saturday May 9th, my girlfriend and I attended our next festival...the Berry Festival (Berryfest) which was formerly known as the Strawberry Festival in Roseville, CA....this year was the 7th annual strawberry festival...but i guess they said "fuck it...we'll just celebrate blueberries and blackberries too and call it the berryfest"

We didn't get there as early as I wanted us to because my girlfriend had work on Saturday morning, but we still made good time despite traffic and got there by 2pm....heres a map to show you where Roseville, CA is in comparison to Sacramento, CA...

0.png.c0bd05067a359d916300a8ed4677d9e0.png

only 23 miles away...but with traffic it took us a good 45 minutes to get there.

As we got closer to the event though, traffic cleared up and we were "cruisin"....(notice how dry California is right now...eff this drought)...

more..

We finally pulled in and paid $5 to the volunteer Boy Scout to park and went to the box office to buy our tickets...luckily we found a coupon in the entertainment book my girlfriend had bought earlier this year....so we paid $10 for the both of us instead of $20...

1.jpg.d33c8927f9bd17e28fd089cb202f0bc7.jpg

the strawberry festival was held at the Placer County Fairgrounds in Roseville...tile work..

3.jpg.84f7ef57951a05b6ff9589649127a580.jpg

and a close up of the logo...

2.jpg.65dc51c5f47a7a86b619375524900268.jpg

haha...i kind of like this logo.

from the second we got there, there were vendors trying to sell everything from lemonade to timeshares to "free cruises" (which really means give us your info so we can mail and email you junk....but we walked past all that and got to what we really came here for...the strawberries!!...

4.jpg.4d7e321c2532f0480db07819c2304a05.jpg

yum!!

more..

once again, just like at the Asparagus Festival, I did some freight benching for y'all haha....

5.jpg.33fd4a6734d7794b5fe9f014c00caaf6.jpg

I think these belong in metal heads..

6.jpg.3e40edcbfe47f46c248fc4abb7b683c4.jpg

anyways...my girlfriend hadn't had lunch yet and she said she was starving so we were walking toward the food stands when we spotted the beer garden.....we had heard that they served strawberry flavored beer there and my girl wanted to try it, so we shot there first instead...

heres the strawberry beer..

7.jpg.ed32a7e600008a9b0ed6c5277620d5d2.jpg

she didn't really like it though....she said it tasted like cough syrup....none for me thanks.

finally made it to the food stands...

8.jpg.c40be70897deea9d228b83bcecce687c.jpg

more..

we kind of walked around the food stand area trying to find something good we could share...i wasnt too hungry but we decided on a tri-tip sandwich and some garlic fries...

and then I noticed this sign...

9.jpg.2a89c3dd20a54c014e56cd2f7743df52.jpg

Blackberry BBQ sauce

Blueberry BBQ sauce

Strawberry BBQ sauce

sounds good doesnt it??....

well it wasnt...lol

10.jpg.a621392dffff490ff4dec7fbbf0d5373.jpg

we tried all three..

the strawberry bbq sauce was nasty...i didnt care for the blueberry bbq sauce but in my opinion the best of the three was the blackberry bbq sauce.

my girlfriend liked the blueberry bbq sauce the most, and since she was going to eat most of the sandwich she put it onto the sandwich....not before i snapped these flicks of the tritip sammich and garlic fries before the sauce was put on...

11.jpg.8e7dd7995bf5652b9edb0928be436d14.jpg

12.jpg.55077e3c2f972782cc196a2cb32a0d97.jpg

more..

We found a nice spot in the shade and ate.

After I had a small bite and she had a few bites she left this for me and told me to "kill it"..

13.jpg.1f64ef4e113c2b276e227e0f8279c972.jpg

so I did.

messy as fuck but oh well.

at this point we didnt want to jump right into eating sweets and we had pretty much just gotten there so we decided to walk around and take in the sights.

they were selling berry everything...

heres some berry italian sodas in a booth decorated for the festival..

14.jpg.75417e9018bdd383c5671b75c7c8b4a0.jpg

can't forget about the berry beignets....

15.jpg.100b2d7fbff9aacf34f4d1875315bc47.jpg

after seeing this display, we actually spent the next 15 minutes deciding whether to get a strawberry beignet or a strawberry funnel cake or deep fried strawberries or chocolate dipped strawberries.

more..

we did some more walking...

I think this event was put on by the boy scouts to raise money...there were boy scouts everywhere...in the background you can see an obstacle course thingy put on by the boy scouts..

16.jpg.97c8f1f25f6dfa0c27e76ecfe4776640.jpg

and obviously you can't have strawberry fest without someone dressed as strawberry shortcake making twisty balloon animals for the kids...

17.jpg.0bb7ed0c04701f73d95d1f7fc416faa9.jpg

kids playing in bubbles..

18.jpg.cf121db6db5def2f9c0126d00076d616.jpg

we even saw one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Leonardo, trying to get parents to enroll their kids in Krav Maga classes...lol.

19.jpg.f1bb1c2e24d960167917ce8214ee5386.jpg

don't fuck with Leonardo...last person that fucked with him had their head cut off and put on a pole (see to the right of Leonardo).

for those of you that know, Roseville, CA is home to a HUGE train yard (I think it's like the second biggest train yard west of the Mississippi river), and there are references to trains everywhere...like southern pacific and union pacific...there is also a bar (it might have shut down...we went to it a few times) that took a train car and emptied it and put seats in it so you can drink in it.

but thats why this is here....

20.jpg.d3f5a7f369f848133ac8a96c203ce123.jpg

this whole area is a little country/redneck though and extremely conservative....we saw our fair share of really conservative people at the event...im surprised that none of the rednecks called me "boy" lol....anyways the republicans had a booth at the event...some of their bumper stickers..

21.jpg.bd78c22b8da19fe72ad141aed51198d6.jpg

the funny thing is...the event we went to the next day was the exact opposite of this event!...stay tuned for that part of the thread..

more..

after doing some more walking, we decided that it was time to have dessert. we had heard they had deep fried strawberries here and were really interested in trying some...i also wanted to try some chocolate dipped strawberries...

thats when we came back to this booth...

22.jpg.29e9bb26fde84ee9d410daba7e9d9596.jpg

awwww yeah...

23.jpg.64183d676c43a1c182b7792a3bd03602.jpg

the little asian girl working the booth was extremely nice and suggested that since we wanted to try the deep fried strawberries and the chocolate dipped strawberries, that we just pay $10 and do the sampler plate...so we did...

as you can see on the sign, the sampler is 2 deep fried strawberries, 2 strawberry banana rolls, 2 chocolate dipped strawberries and 2 strawberry cheesecake bites...

24.jpg.c603e6adab3427a031a03dc83b982220.jpg

this is apparently where the magic happens...

25.jpg.68ec4e1e5d416af64ca0361d7ef94f88.jpg

and after a short wait, this is what we got...

26.jpg.8f02135a3df5bbccea87c33b76658b40.jpg

now, I will be honest...I like my strawberries cold....like right out of the fridge cold....the strawberry banana rolls were just sliced strawberry and banana rolled in lumpia wrapping...it would have been better with just bananas in it...but when it was deep fried, the strawberries became hot and mushy...wasnt really a fan...same with the deep fried strawberries...i wonder if they wouldve been better if they were frozen before being deep fried.

the chocolate dipped strawberries weren't all that good either because they used bakers chocolate that had been melted down...texture reminded me of nutella....i was hoping more for dark chocolate that had been hardened so that I would get a crunch when biting into the strawberry....the thing that I liked the most was the strawberry cheesecake bites though....although the strawberries were at room temp which ruined it for me...it wouldve been better with cold and sweeter strawberries...but oh well...can't win them all..

more..

After trying that little sampler, we wanted to do some more walking and take in the sights...i saw this and dragged my girlfriend in there...

27.0.jpg.5fbdea517669e8903e88cc2553c59500.jpg

the place had a few train enthusiasts running the model trains.

this is a video of the UP line...you can see the box cars and autoracks...if they really wanted to make it realistic, they'd have some pieces and whole cars painted on them!..

warning: shitty quality at first, but gets better halfway through

• Like 1

We left the model railroad club, and did some more walking around...saw this sign...

28.jpg.2f8c225612411d29f2ff2ef376214988.jpg

Live cooking demos?!!?!?.....hell yeah!....we're there!!!

only to see this when we went into the building...

29.jpg.0027e278984d8914f160a13c710a531c.jpg

where are the demos?!.....huge dissapointment. :coldsweat::confused:

so we walked past the booths trying to sell us things and walked back outside and saw ziplining for kids...

30.jpg.2af47be4be2331488684cbe3d745f98c.jpg

look out below!!!..

31.jpg.3d316b4fb3f831f3e71c1bdeb80690ec.jpg

and then it happened......beer #2.....but this time, my girlfriend chose the blackberry beer (or was it blueberry beer) instead of the strawberry beer....

32.jpg.1928f189be46989f702b40c720e6eb4b.jpg

i think she mightve liked this beer better because i didnt hear her complain this time.

more..

we wanted to sit down in a nice shady place so she could enjoy her drink and we could listen to some music....this is where we ended up...

33.0.jpg.e3c6e2d6fac044a2c23f9d878b52c9f8.jpg

not really my type of music, but these guys werent too bad....even the baby on the table was enjoying itself...lol.

yeehaw!!

saw this sign when we were sitting down....thought about it, but i was too fucking full...

34.jpg.35c8398d0467be630d7a66bc15cb6ced.jpg

...we listened to some more music and decided to go walk around a bit more...

more..

my girlfriend (who loves every type of nasty sour candy known to man) saw this booth and immediately went over there..

36.jpg.29bc34276837d0a717dc1caba0539f3c.jpg

we tried a few of these, and they were pretty good....asked the guy about the company...and the candy...apparently these are made in Europe (Spain to be exact) and then are shipped to the U.S.

they had a bunch of flavors and we sampled a few...

35.jpg.4d6d32994e3d947fa33a65407ae675d6.jpg

I really really liked the sweet strawberry, but since my girl is a sour fan, we just went ahead with that....but hey, at least we stuck to the strawberry theme...

37.jpg.85a64fdba3b59c62d54a3fe4d3787840.jpg

nice catch!

more...