Art Plagiarism

sexcauldron

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Wow.... That's blatant theft.

I wouldn't say the entire art world is based on biting because that's a huge sweeping statement and just isn't true at all.

Then there's all the different variables involved when it comes to interpretation and whatever…. Shit's vast. But when something is clearly a rip off and the thief makes money from it, it's unjust.

Also - Jeremy Scott is a talentless hack who should be skinned for a lampshade. I haven't seen the reference to the old skateboard artwork... In fashion it used to be quite hard to sue for copyright infringement but it's becoming more common mainly due to the counterfeit market.... Anyway, those prints are straight up theft. Should be an open and shut case. I'd take him to court.

He did a collection last year that had Bart Simpsons' image all over it. A "collaboration". Imagine if he'd used that without permission?!

jeremy-scott-the-simpsons-fw2012-4.jpg

Edit: This is the 2nd link when you google Jeremy Scott's name:

http://www.spin.com/blogs/jeremy-scott-rip-off-santa-cruz-skateboard-artist-jimbo-phillips

People have been doing this since the sixties. The only problem would be if he took credit for the concept and/or copyrighted it somehow. I don't know whether permission is an issue or even applicable here, but if it is I would assume he would at least try to get that squared away.

In my experience I've found that the art world tends towards being arbitrary and effete, so I'm only in it for the money.

• 2 weeks later...