Who Runs the World?

Zig

Q. Who controls the world?

A. A handful of national governments, with the overwhelming ammount of power lying with the government of the United States. The democratic governments in this group are heavily influenced by lobbying groups, the most powerful of which are the wealthiest (financial and trade lobbies that are a broad conglomeration of big business interests). These wealthy elites also influence national governments through ownership of the media (While mainstream media is not a unified political entity it broadly supports liberal free market ideology). The non-democratic national governments are basically state-capitalist entities and cut out the middle man, with economic interests and state interests being one and the same.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny that everyone here has stated their opinion of WHAT runs the world, but not WHO. So I'll do the same...

I don't think it comes down to people so much as a collective process that favors continuity and privilege. That's why we have things like corporations, dynasties and royalty.

It's funny that everyone here has stated their opinion of WHAT runs the world, but not WHO. So I'll do the same...

I don't think it comes down to people so much as a collective process that favors continuity and privilege. That's why we have things like corporations, dynasties and royalty.

royalty do not run shit except for as far as their money takes them. (and a handful of backwater countries that don't matter a great deal)

They run more than we do in our respective roles, plus I was using that more in a historical context.

that's interesting you guys brought this up. do you guys really think royalty has lost it's power? today we have elites who could be considered royalty, most of them aren't from the actual european lineages but there are prestigious bloodlines with lot's of power influence and money especially. also, english royalty has shares in big oil companies and other forbe 500's as well as substantial influence through round table organizations like bilderberg. etc. are they really powerless figureheads?

that's interesting you guys brought this up. do you guys really think royalty has lost it's power? today we have elites who could be considered royalty, most of them aren't from the actual european lineages but there are prestigious bloodlines with lot's of power influence and money especially. also, english royalty has shares in big oil companies and other forbe 500's as well as substantial influence through round table organizations like bilderberg. etc. are they really powerless figureheads?

With regard to the British royal family- on paper, yes. In fact, who knows.

I'm talking about Saudi Arabia mainly since they have something like $1 trillion invested in the US at any given moment.

Q. Who controls the world?

A. A handful of national governments, with the overwhelming ammount of power lying with the government of the United States. The democratic governments in this group are heavily influenced by lobbying groups, the most powerful of which are the wealthiest (financial and trade lobbies that are a broad conglomeration of big business interests). These wealthy elites also influence national governments through ownership of the media (While mainstream media is not a unified political entity it broadly supports liberal free market ideology). The non-democratic national governments are basically state-capitalist entities and cut out the middle man, with economic interests and state interests being one and the same.

I agree with this statement completely in so far as a group, or groups, of people 'running' the world. Yet, outside of this direct form of control exists a dynamic network of self interested actors all using their power resources in order to further their subjective agendas. Often it can appear that there is a broad reaching method to this chaos- this is what I feel conspiracy theorists are clutching at- however, it is far more likely that in this state of flux certain interests intersect and are mutually beneficial, forming short lived 'spontaneous order(s)'. Moreover, hegemonic forces enable less powerful actors to facilitate existing power hierarchies and thus, the world keeps turning.

Zig; I know from your previous posts that you find more explicit narratives on power operates appealing. I think there is ample evidence to suggest that these kinds of unified efforts are more fragile than you might think and are likely to be the exception rather than the rule. If you are interested in knowing where I am coming from I would recommend that you look into; Thomas DiLorezo's writings on the fragility of monopolies, L Heyak's writings on spontaneous order, M Foucault on power, A Gramsci on hegemony, and anyone who writes about Game Theory and rational choice.

• Like 1

no I dont think so because everyone is always chasing for more, if you just print more it devalues it so you need even more. Money and wealth is power, power runs the world.

I'm not a believer in all these conspiracies because I don't consider it a conspiracy, power has always been held by the few, whether iit was old royal families centuries ago or big business these days. They don't conspire to take away peoples freedom etc, they work out ways that they can get richer.

no I dont think so because everyone is always chasing for more, if you just print more it devalues it so you need even more. Money and wealth is power, power runs the world.

I'm not a believer in all these conspiracies because I don't consider it a conspiracy, power has always been held by the few, whether iit was old royal families centuries ago or big business these days. They don't conspire to take away peoples freedom etc, they work out ways that they can get richer.

Money is a tool for storing value and a medium of exchange. It is a misdiagnosis to say money itself runs the world due to its ubiquity and universal demand alone. Similarly it would be a misdiagnosis to say that time rules the world as we are all slaves setting our lives in accordance with the clock. There is a fundamental distinction to be made here; the power of people to influence world affairs is very different from the various mediums which facilitate that influence. Money as a medium is a facilitator of power not a power itself.

Death runs the world. And sadly you'll just have to wait and die if you don't want to swallow that sort of medicine yet. But cheerios to the chaps out there painting and getting it in. Graffiti is dying, but the realitti is on it's way up. Y'all cats really went so far as to start some shit as dumb as this. Big ups to y'all but I'm leaving it just as I've already said. Death runs the world, and if you ain't ready for the medicine, your gonna be praying a pHucking really really long time. $praying is for the strong these days, praying is for those out to be slaughtered, someone go get Jesus saves an atheist t-shirt or something. Life's a bitch, and lotta' bitches is carrying hand guns, pigs included. About as pointless as gov't, this, Who runs the world BS. Belief Systems got them all lost. If it wasn't for the caveman who was doodling on the walls, there'd be no trace of existence. Seems nowadays though, heads ain't leaving existence to much of anything if it doesn't have an Idiot Point attached to it. Big ups to those risking it for the hell of not being told, stay inside, locked, and shut the fuck up. Free + Dumb is out right moronic. pHree$mart hasn't even been tasted. This is out right bullshit. Deaths knocking and creeping about on ever corner and my nigga's who are supposed to be killing it are out talking about who runs the world. Go pHucks with yourselves mates, cause some of y'all have downright done pity to the first rock decorators, the cavemen/women. Heads up, a revolutions under way, and it won't be televised. Pigs will be shot, there will be blood & carcasses of donkeys and elephants lying about on the White Halls of the White House. UK senses what's up, when will the US. Change is for the poor who ask for it to be put in their empty cups. My society is turning into the flock that the wolves don't even have to run after these days. Pussifiably pathetic like the beginning of pussification after 9/11. Say something, but I don't use armies, I use arms, fisticuffs for the dumbfoundedly trigger happy. And all day, big shot out to those they deeming as insurgents, I'd be doing just about the same thing if some snotty nose brats with guns and tanks came about claiming to be my very sense of Safety and Stability. The new SS is under way, it's head leader is half white, half black, and therefore, he's got no one out to be against him. In a country built out of the real free and the brave, aka indians, those who came and now work on it's latter-day soil, are nowhere near knowing such latitude, perhaps of course though, if you speak of only the longitude/latitude of the earth. Shit is looking pathetic, and a few of us seem to get it, the rest, pHuck em'.... let them keep screaming for the silent peace they continually destroy for in their searches, as too, the happiness of being FREE + DUMB. pHuck em all, I'm opting out of such sucky ass bullshit. The collapse is eminently imminent. WTFU before THEY start to HAARP us the pHuck up. 1 love, but I done made love 1 too many times, so it's to infinity, aka death. I'm waiting now just to reap it with the reaper.

a lot of you who come in here to post don't even read the fucking original article in the OP. You're just reading the title of the thread (which was the title of the ARTICLE), and responding directly to that question like know-it-all's. Shut the fuck up. Nobody asked you your opinion about who or what runs the world, read the fucking article and respond intelligently or don't respond at all.

you don't need to read the article to know the outcome of the survey, of course the big firms control things and all work together to make themselves more powerful and richer[/color], and yet people still think that companies should be allowed to do whatever they want!

This is a wild statement to make. Can you demonstrate this point?

There is nothing in the article, to my recollection, that says corporations conspire, simply that there are major nodes in a network analysis. In fact, even these nodes are in no sense proof of major power conglomerates as there connectivity proves nothing other than that they draw resources from a wide pool. Pension funds and other similar major financial organisations are likely to be recognised as such nodes as they invest widely with a large and diverse composition of shareholders. Shareholders of a pension fund can hardly be described as running the world. They probably have little understanding of what their money is even doing within this organisation. Like KMART pointed out before, these nodes are not necessarily any proof of a vast concentration of wealth and power. They are perhaps a starting point for further research but nothing more.