Google +

Newer Bigger Better

NERD ALERT

Googles new dealie. I just got my invite for it but it's still crazy beta and i can't even set it up yet because they exceeded their max...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/28/google-launches-all-out-social-networking-assault-with-google/

Social networking has long been Google's white whale. The company has done plenty of dabbling in the space, snatching up Orkut, which has failed to catch on in the US, and rolling out Buzz to the relative indifference of its massive user base. Announced today after seemingly endless leaks, Google+ represents a major push for the software giant. The service began showing itself to a smattering of users last night, as a black bar across the top of various of the company's properties. A "+You" button on the far left of the bar currently brings you to the service's landing page, offering a tour of the many features that fall under the Google+ umbrella. Get to know the services better after the break.

Among the sub-services is Circles, which lets users divide up which of their friends / followers can see which content, assuring that only your "Epic Bros" and not your boss sees what you were up to at last night's bachelor party. Hangouts, meanwhile, offers up multi-person video chat with members of your Circle. Sparks is a customized feed aggregator of content you curate from across the web -- remember when RSS feeds were a thing? This is kind of like that.

There's also, not surprisingly, a mobile element to the service. Huddle offers up group messaging, largely targeted at arranging real-world meetups for those times you actually want to, you know, socialize with humans in the flesh. The Instant Upload feature makes it easy to transfer photos to private albums in the cloud.

Google+ is still in a limited trial mode and has a few "rough edges," according to the company. In the meantime, we want to know what you think. Is Google finally giving Facebook a run for its money? Is this just the latest social flop from the company? Let us know in the comments, and while you're at it, check out a whole bunch of officially sanctioned Google+ videos below.

I imagine if this takes off it will be pretty deeply embedded with android in the same way facebook already is. They are going a different approach with it though. But then they tried social networking before and it didn't take off at all...

In before: "Apple roolz google droolz", people complaining about google knowing too much about you already, dao wondering how much internet minutes this will cost on his nokia 6800.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we all know facebook and googles idea of private veers from the norm. I think the idea is you can have albums that only people in that albums circle can see...

Say if i want to show a circle of beezies my dick, but not my homies. I can just make an album of moodily lit shots of my dong, looking all sexy, maybe with a half chub so as not to make myself seem to eager, and then only let people in my "sluts i want to stick" circle see that.

Or not, i really haven't got to play around with it yet.

I could see this one going either way, but I feel like Google's timing is good. We're about due for a Facebook backlash.

I was talking to my ex earlier who said exactly the same thing. He said it's already in decline and they've lost a lot of users. I'm not sure how true that is though.

I dunno, I think I'm getting too old for all this social network hopping. It kinda makes me feel sad for myspace Tom.

You of all people should love this. That way you don't have to be crazy private about your pictures. you could post pictures of you raping your girlfriends to the people you know, and post pictures of cats and you wearing masks to all your 12oz dude friends.

Perfect.

They've only lost users in the US and UK, in the rest of the world it's still blowing up.

That's just because the rest of the world isn't as cool as US ('merica!).. Pssshhh, facebook? Old news brah

I do like the idea of being able to control what groups of friends see what pictures though. I'm just wondering if your friends will be able to know if they have only limited access to your profile (and pictures)?

You of all people should love this. That way you don't have to be crazy private about your pictures. you could post pictures of you raping your girlfriends to the people you know, and post pictures of cats and you wearing masks to all your 12oz dude friends.

Perfect.

They've only lost users in the US and UK, in the rest of the world it's still blowing up.

Thing is I don't post pictures on my facebook I wouldn't want any of my friends on there to see, so it's no odds to me either way. 99.9% of my facebook friends have been out drinking with me and have seen me do far far far worse things than 'rape' my girlfriends.

Thing is I don't post pictures on my facebook I wouldn't want any of my friends on there to see, so it's no odds to me either way.

Maybe if I grow a dick between now and google+ going live, decide I feel the need to show said new appendage to a circle of beezies...but not my little cousin, I'd have a use for such a feature.

Archived