Tunisia Revolution

RIPS

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

thank you for posting this.

some thoughts that came to mind as i saw this unfolding was palestine because of the number of palestinian exiled leaders that took refuge in tunisia. i have been reading some articles about another domino effect to come from this. i think we are beginning to see this with riots spreading to egypt. it is also interesting the power of technology in uniting people and to organize these protests. i was wondering if you had found any other articles that you would like to share or that illuminate the situation from another aspect?

I would hesitate to call these revolutions until the ruling class in these countries has actually been ousted from power, RCD is still in government in Tunisia and NDP is still in power in Egypt, with Mubarak at the helm.

I do wish them luck however in ousting these governments and bringing them to justice.

I would hesitate to call these revolutions until the ruling class in these countries has actually been ousted from power, RCD is still in government in Tunisia and NDP is still in power in Egypt, with Mubarak at the helm.

I do wish them luck however in ousting these governments and bringing them to justice.

i'm sure even if they are ousted it won't result in any success for the people of those countries, it's just good to see people finally reaching their boiling point. i was beginning to think the entire world were just as lifeless, stupid and asleep as americans are...

YEMEN

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/01/2011127100660857.html

"Tens of thousands of people in Yemen have taken to the streets in the country's capital, calling for an end to the government of Ali Abdullah Saleh, the president.

Inspired by recent events in Tunisia and Egypt, opposition members and youth activists rallied at four different locations in Sanaa on Thursday, chanting for Saleh, who has been in power for 32 years, to step down."

"However, Motahar Rashad al-Masri, the Yemeni interior minister, ruled out any resemblance between the protests in Yemen and the public outcry in Tunisia and Egypt.

"Yemen is not like Tunisia," he said, adding that Yemen was a "democratic country" and that the demonstrations were peaceful."

Wrong.

We're talking about authoritarian dictatorships and extreme rises in food costs. Things have to get way worse in order for them to get better here. You want to see a revolution here? Maybe when Wal-Mart closes and gas prices rise to $15 a gallon.

yea i agree with that, we are definitely kept just comfortable enough.

RIPS-those articles are awesome thanks for passing them on.

however i would have to disagree with the author saying that tunisia is an isolated case because of recent incidents in neighboring countries.

i hope that a peaceful solution can be mediated. i think that it is important that a corrupt system is rectified. when you have leaders that were installed and maintained by an outside authority they are bound to fail at some point.

in one of the articles the author makes a comparison to spain post-franco. he essentially throws tunisia to the wolves and under the bus by saying that there is no strong leader to rally behind. however, i think that is a wrong assessment because even in the most chaotic of situations, say east timor post-indonesia, organic forms of cohesion manifest. there already is a strong push for elections. not that elections are the end all be all. however, it is a tool of organization if instituted with openness and fairness.

a power vacuum forms, and usually someone fills it. but no one has stepped up yet it seems.

i wish benazir bhutto hadn't been killed. i'd love to see her reaction.

tunisia is much more secular than other arab nations, and has a much less powerful military, which i'd think is why they'd call it an isolated case.

it will be immensely interesting to see how the situation in egypt unfolds.

as for revolution in the US, haha ha hahaha ha.

i'm sure even if they are ousted it won't result in any success for the people of those countries, it's just good to see people finally reaching their boiling point. i was beginning to think the entire world were just as lifeless, stupid and asleep as americans are...

Entire world lifeless? Did you miss what happened in Iran last year? What about Kygyzstan, miss that too? How about Greece, you didn't notice all those riots? I'm assuming you passed up on France as well. How about MAdagascar over the last two years?

I'm thinking it may not have been the world that was sleeping......

yea i agree with that, we are definitely kept just comfortable enough.

just comfortable enough?!

You've never been to a developing country, have you?

To compare the US to countries like Egypt, Tunisia and their kind is just astoundingly ridiculous. Yes, the US has it's faults, just like all countries do. But to compare it to outright dictatorship? Dude, you have TERM LIMITS, that is just one glaring difference. Those people in the streets in these countries throughout the Maghreb, you tell them that you have the same probs in the US as they do and they'll either laugh or punch you in the face.

Seriously, you have no fucking idea how good you have it.

Yeah, and I mean there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve your country and being motivated to improve politics in general. It's just the dramatics and inflated sense of woe that I see on this forum leaves me stunned sometimes. I truly think there are some that have very strong convictions and absolutist views but have yet to see and experience much past their own front door step. I tend to think that experience moderates one's views of the way things 'should' be.

And experience doesn't mean going on a holiday to Thailand or Cuba....

• Like 1

Guest Ginger Bread Man
Yeah, and I mean there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve your country and being motivated to improve politics in general. It's just the dramatics and inflated sense of woe that I see on this forum leaves me stunned sometimes. I truly think there are some that have very strong convictions and absolutist views but have yet to see and experience much past their own front door step. I tend to think that experience moderates one's views of the way things 'should' be.

well fucking writ.

i tried to prop but alas they are all cashed for today

I feel sorrow for other people in the world that are suffering from the ills of the global economy but I am well aware that I have it goooood.

I do feel free spouting out to every one how immoral I find it that there are people in developed countries living in luxury with a constant flowing supply of arbitrary material items, while people in a lot of undeveloped countries can't even get the basic necessities for life. Consider the circumstances in which timber products, tantalum (metal required for the manufacture of electronics), oil and many other resources necessary for an economy based upon constant production and consumption come from and you will see large amounts of exploitation and violence (to humans and non-humans) all along the way. All so we can have plastic and paper packaging, red tomatoes in Wisconsin during February, car culture, fresh seafood served thousands of miles from where it was caught and a new cellphone every other year.

I have radical opposition to the whole fucking system. It has got to go. It just kind of sucks because I can't have shelter, water or food unless I participate in the system that is destroying the planet and making life mostly miserable for 2/3 of the world so I always end up looking like a rabid nut-job hypocrite.