L.A. Photographer Faces Criminal Charges for Documenting Graffiti

lord_casek

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as he should have.

clearly dude was a fucking parasite putting his own image/status of his profession over human life that would have been easily assisted.

matter of fact i woulda enjoyed feeding him multiple punches to his face. then id laugh at him and watch him crawl around on the floor bleeding. and id just stad there. kick him some more. stomp on his head a bit. and watch him crawl around again some more. make him feel what that kid felt, seeing a healthy body able yet unwilling to assist standing just feet away.

^that photographer had also photographed years of the most brutal violence in Apartheid South Africa. People like to point to that photo when they talk of his suicide, but don't talk of all the shit he saw in the South African townships, which in many ways, was way more traumatizing than children dying of starvation.

The craziest part of that photo is that it looks like the child is all alone. He was surrounded by thousands and thousands of people like that, and frankly, I think its a little bitta bullshit that people back in cushy ass America/Australia/Europe are outraged, get off the high horse and shit.

well iv never seen the pic before, heard the story behind it or had any knowledge of the thousands dying around him but i still will not retract what i stated.

if all you can do is snap fucking photographs surrounded by absolute horrifying conditions your a fagget. and deserve death.

if thats me, the camera is the last fucking thing on my mind and doing what i can while i can is formost. for those people.

as he should have.

clearly dude was a fucking parasite putting his own image/status of his profession over human life that would have been easily assisted.

matter of fact i woulda enjoyed feeding him multiple punches to his face. then id laugh at him and watch him crawl around on the floor bleeding. and id just stad there. kick him some more. stomp on his head a bit. and watch him crawl around again some more. make him feel what that kid felt, seeing a healthy body able yet unwilling to assist standing just feet away.

Yeaaaa you went wayward with this rant right here. You're surrounding by 100 thousand starving people, but somehow, you find the way to find the compassion to save this ONE human? Please. How many times do you walk past a guy with a cardboard sign that says HUNGRY, on a daily basis, and don't do anything, more concerned about yourself?

My personal philosophy is that photography should not degrade others, so i dont like the photo (and i wouldn't be at a starvation refugee camp), but to assume without any prior knowledge, that this photog was a heartless bastard more interested in his own career than saving this one child's life is a little bit stretching.

well thats what im saying, albeit only partially. that i didnt in fact have knowledge of the pic before seeing it.

and perhaps my statements following with that were slightly knee jerk. and i highly respect your values as a photographer. clearly you have code locked into yourself with reguards to it aswell as the stand up for backing the art behind it aswell as justifuying the means.

i am not a photographer, and will not pretend to be.

but the fact of the matter is, spending years of your life photographing pain in the worst imaginable way, would change a person. or more correctly SHOULD change a person.

witnessing that much shit, for that long. as a human, your priorities gotta change. they just gotta.

im not talking about being put on assignment for a week in the third world, im going on what your telling me of this guy doing this for years.

human life is far more important than anything else. im an ignorant, loud, pompas ass at the best of times. put me in a shit storm like that for a month ill walk out mother fucking therressa.

^that photographer had also photographed years of the most brutal violence in Apartheid South Africa. People like to point to that photo when they talk of his suicide, but don't talk of all the shit he saw in the South African townships, which in many ways, was way more traumatizing than children dying of starvation.

The craziest part of that photo is that it looks like the child is all alone. He was surrounded by thousands and thousands of people like that, and frankly, I think its a little bitta bullshit that people back in cushy ass America/Australia/Europe are outraged, get off the high horse and shit.

dude. although i'm pretty sure your statement wasn't directed at me

i want to make it clear that i don't give a fuck about that particular

photo, or this dude in general. the threads about a photo nerd getting

bagged while hangin with writers. nothing more, nothing less. dudes

catching misdemeanor charges. cry me a river.

as he should have.

You're a fucking idiot

first off, people wouldn't even know about the horror and suffering of people like that kid if it wasn't for photojournalists with the balls to give up everything, travel to Africa, and experience a million mind staining horrors.

Travelling to Africa is not how you become a rich photojournalist, you make more money trying to get Paris Hilton limo upskirts. This guy probably gave up months or years of his life away from his family in a sub Saharan aids infected hellhole, trying to capture the plight of these starving kids... Only to be given shit by a bunch of shit talking wanna be know it alls who don't know dick about real suffering. This guy probably saw unimaginable waking nightmares and couldn't deal with being drug through the dirt when I'm sure he was just trying to tell a story and raise awareness to this type of thing.

Really, that's an ignorant reactionary response... But it follows suit you wouldn't just up and start using your brain today....

• Like 1

oh naaaa nightmare that was all at reality. And yeah, the issue for me isn't a misdemeanor. The issue for me is if a phtoographer is legally permitted to film/photograph a crime in progress is all. It's not just about graffiti, in fact, it has nothing to do with graffiti at all. If that crime was a prostitute's blowjob i'd be equally incensed.

oh naaaa nightmare that was all at reality. And yeah, the issue for me isn't a misdemeanor. The issue for me is if a phtoographer is legally permitted to film/photograph a crime in progress is all. It's not just about graffiti, in fact, it has nothing to do with graffiti at all. If that crime was a prostitute's blowjob i'd be equally incensed.

i can digg it. i just don't give a flying fuck about anybody else s

legals outside of my own. especially if it's horseshit. plain n simple.

• Like 1

^haha you guys are clowns but yeah, while we're honest, i've photographed felonies and who knows, might happen again. Doesn't make me bitch cuz i take an interest in a precedent-setting case. MeanBeans ain't trying to check that felony box on the application, and if this dude gets a misdemeanor on this bullshit, that does worry me, not cuz i feel bad for him but because im concerned for me.

if thats me, the camera is the last fucking thing on my mind and doing what i can while i can is formost. for those people.

I doubt that photographer could have done anything for that child. Probably didn't even have means to feed the kid, let alone get it the medical attention that would have been required to save its life at that point.

wrong, there are countries in south easern asia that buy children. that money could have fed his family for months. and the pinoy's that purchased him want to protect there invest, therfor would have kept him alive.

british tourism in the philipines to engage in illegal ethiopean baby sex is not only big buisness but also a solid tax free income for the ones arranging it. and thats a huge benifit.

philipino factory workers are taxed nearly 935 of all earnings due to ww2 underground bunker rebuilding has put the counties pocketbook on low.

if this dude gets a misdemeanor on this bullshit, that does worry me, not cuz i feel bad for him but because im concerned for me.

Do you happen to know if any of this is covered in the Photographers Bill of Rights? I don't know a whole lot about it except as it pertains to benching.

@ spicey - that is the danger I'm scared of.

@gacy - There are definitely limitations to first amendment protections as far as photography and crime is concerned (child pronz, for one. no one can argue a child prono photo is doing the public a service by 'raising awareness to this crime'). Same sort of thing has been getting Supreme Court play, what with those puppy snuff films.

I'm not too familiar with American rules because most of my major work is international, but like I said initially, this probably would/could fall under photography in the public interest. Just last fall, the LA County paid 3 million or whatever to buff that Saber shit, shouldn't the public know 'the nature of the enemy'? Isn't that why the newspapers interview the bad guys?