New Age Somalia

MAR

Roars, growls and galloping hooves replaced music Tuesday on some of Mogadishu's radio stations in a protest of a ban on music imposed by Islamic extremists. Radio Shabelle, along with the stations Tusmo and Hornafrik, were responding to threats from Muslim militant groups that believe music is un-Islamic and want it prohibited.

Mogadishu's 14 private radio stations stopped playing music Tuesday after Hizbul al-Islam, an Islamic extremist group, issued a 10-day ultimatum. The threat was backed by the main militant group al-Shabaab, which has been linked to al Qaeda.

A statement from the National Union of Somali Journalists said several stations received calls, warning them that there would be consequences if they failed to comply with the ban within 10 days.

But the three stations decided to broadcast the noises instead of music. Radio Shabelle announcers could be heard speaking on air, backed by the sounds of hooves, ocean waves, gunfire -- even the roars and growls of big cats.

A radio station director, who could not be identified because of safety concerns, said the stations were unhappy about the ban but were forced to comply "because of fear for our lives." A Somali journalist, who also asked not to be identified, said there is widespread fear that this marks the beginning of a wider plot by extremists to silence independent media. He fears that female journalists may become the the next target.

Hizbul al-Islam is one of many rebel groups operating in the country. The group has a complicated relationship with al-Shabaab; between them, the two groups control much of Mogadishu, and several radio stations are in neighborhoods under their control.

Somalia has not had a stable government since 1991. Islamic militant groups are fighting the government in an effort to implement a stricter form of Islamic law, or Sharia.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/04/13/somalia.radio/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

click the link to listen to rad animal sounds.

tl;dr

• Mogadishu's 14 private radio stations stop playing music after threat from Islamic extremists
  • Militant groups are said to believe that music is un-Islamic, want it prohibited
  • In protest, 3 stations broadcast nature noises: hooves, ocean waves, cats' roars and growls
  • Somali journalist fears this may mark beginning of plot to silence independent media

tufted_titmouse.jpg

titmouse

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I just find it so difficult to believe that we know exactly who these individuals or groups are, have this vast reach of technology that every American fears since the patriot act yet we cant get to killing these extremists.

Nigga.

Have you not watched black hawk down?

Theyre gonna be making sequels to that shit if we start fucking around over there again.

• Like 1

i wish we had a radio station like that all the time.

part of the reason it's kind of silly to stop them is that most governments are formed out of some kind of armed conflict. it'd take a lot of international concensus to just make up a government for people. i.e. israel. and that decision hasn't exactly been fully supported by the locals either.

i did an extreme ammount of ketamine two nights ago. generally it leaches out yer system by the time your awake the next day. it did, but for some reason in the evening yesterday my mind had started to wind it overdrive and was not thinking clearly.

i was driving around and found a station on sirrus called "the spa"

it was like faggety wind songs with chirps and shit that im assuming they play at those places bitches go to get there feet soaked in butter.

it relaxed me and put me inna funny mood thinking about what i was driving around listening to.

itll prolly still be on that station when i get in my ride again today and will prolly have another laugh about it.

somtimes if you dont chop the K up enough the chunk take a little longer to dissolve leaving you with after effects. finer the powder better the trip. a little steam never hurts either.

fuck K

fuck new age musiq

and most of all fuck somalia