ARCHITECTURE

b.hussein

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too sure where to post this but from Gizmodo...

500x_norway1.jpg

A new jail opens in Norway on the 1st of April, which is incredibly modern with Banksy-style street art everywhere, natural lighting courtesy of Philips, and even a music studio. It looks nicer than some people's houses, needless to say.

It'll contain 252 inmates when it opens next month, and will be the second-largest prison in Norway—situated near the Swedish border on 300 acres of land. Over 1.3 billion kroner (about $217m) was spent constructing it, with six million kroner ($1m) spent on the artwork alone, which was daubed by the Norwegian street artist Dolk

500x_norway3.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5482559/if-i-ever-get-sent-to-jail-i-hope-its-to-norways-halden-prison-gallery//gallery/3

I need to go to jail in Norway...

You're right, Mr. Jangles.

I found a book of her work back in the Olden Days of the Dewey Decimal System and card catologs. It influenced my work a lot growing up. The internet just doesn't really do her justice. but I'll try to dig up some images.

abu_dhabi.jpg

ideal-house-zaha-hadid11.jpg

zaha-hadid-1.jpg

zaha-hadid-2.jpg

zaha-hadid.jpg

zaha.vortexx.jpg

I like Zaha's stuff, and I respect her as an architect, an artist, and somewhat of a sociologist/cultural theorist, but I respect this kind of work a lot more. Zaha's stuff is very much FOR architects and engineers to geek over, but the cultural/psychological/humanitarian aspect of architecture is really what grabs me.

http://oaklandnorth.net/bay-bridge-to-nowhere/bayline/

finalrender.jpg

garden1.jpg

orchard3.jpg

swimming.jpg

theater3.jpg

And this amazing video: Alex Roman's The Third and the Seventh.

4257113000_fbe32bedd3_o.jpg

4257113106_e5cfd6613e_o.jpg

4256350723_1c6e9b8679_o.jpg

4257113234_f4fa387b58_o.jpg

4256350511_a492fae4b6_o.jpg

Also, if anyone has any info on who/what/where this is,

2904104972_4524e31c4c_o.jpg

thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

More info on that underground house - http://www.architonic.com/ntsht/camouflage-architecture-underground-buildings/7000497

And here's something amazing:

'Harmonious Anarchy': revisiting Hak Nam, Hong Kong's slum city

When photographer Greg Girard decided to visit the notorious, citadel-like 'Walled City' slum in Hong Kong's Kowloon, where the daily lives of 35,000 people played out, he was told he may not come back alive. Luckily for him, he did. And, luckily for us, he brought with him a series of compelling images, showing just how close the relation between architectural space and social behaviour can be.

In his 1972 novel 'Invisible Cities', Italo Calvino uses the conceit of the explorer Marco Polo describing the :o the workings of imagination itself. Fantastical urban scenes are described, such as the city that is a thin as a sheet of paper, but which 'seems to continue, in perspective, multiplying its repertory of images', or the city that consists merely of the props of its construction (cranes, scaffolding, 'beams that prop up other beams') and nothing else.

HakNam01.jpg

Hak Nam, the giant slum city in Hong Kong's Kowloon that was torn down in 1993, could almost be one of Calvino's urban dreams. Like a depiction from the Middle Ages of some ancient, towering city, the structure was at once awe-inspiring and unnerving in its scale and squalor. With 35,000 people living in a series of cheek-by-jowl buildings up to 14 floors in height, circulation permitted by labyrithine passageways full of rubbish, 'the Walled City', as it was known, would have tested even the most enthusiastic of those early-20th-century Modernist proponents of 'Existenzminimum'.

80klnwcity_figure12_large.jpg

Vancouver-based photographer Greg Girard visited Hak Nam several times in the late 1980s, in spite of warnings that he was putting his life in danger (the place was renowned for its criminality), recording both the physical and the social fabric of the settlement, and the relation between the two. The fact that Hak Nam, in architectural terms, grew organically over time according to its inhabitants' needs, as opposed to being constructed according to a pre-existing blueprint, made the city's take on ordered chaos particularly compelling. As new-comers arrived, changing the social make-up of the community, so their built environment changed.

HakNam09.jpg

'City of Darkness', a book of Girard's Hak Nam photographs, was published in 1993 (Watermark Publications), offering a series of compelling tableaux of life within the citadel. All of humankind could be found here, apart from the police. Their visits were few. Beyond the criminals, drug addicts and prostitutes, a micro-society operated with its own shops, doctors, factories and schools. And all under a pall of Dickensian darkness. As the book's blurb puts it: 'Through a continual process of demolition and rebuilding – with never an architect in sight – individual buildings gradually homogenised. Only at street level did the old grid of public alleyways still exist, but hemmed in and built over: dark, dirty and squalid.' Yet somehow it all worked.

HakNam04.jpg

Looking at Girard's Hong Kong photography here in the Architonic offices puts us in mind of Le Corbusier's city-in-the-sky building type, the 'Unité d'Habitation', first completed in Marseilles in 1947 and then reiterated over the next twenty years in Nantes, Berlin, Briey and Firminy. With its density of dwellings, 'internal streets', and accommodation of social and communal functions (such as nurseries, medical facilities and recreational spaces) in the housing block itself, here, too, are communities, albeit on a smaller scale, that are organised spatially and socially in a homogenous way.

HakNam05.jpg

The difference, of course, between the Swiss architect's highly ordered schemes and the Kowloon slum city is that latter seemed to privilege disorder. Yet, in its organic growth, it also followed a particular logic. It was just a different one. (Possibly a more democratic one?) Both the 'Unité d'Habitation' (now so highly fetishised in architectural-historical terms, particularly by the large number of its architect-occupants) and Hak Nam have their particular cultural signficances. Valuing one over the other is a futile exercise. The Walled City, for all its confusion, was a system that seemed to function. Daily lives were led there. As the the owner of a chemist's told Girard on one of his visits, Hak Nam was a place of 'harmonious anarchy'.

280pr8n.jpg

HakNam10.jpg

HakNam08.jpg

HakNam11.jpg

HakNam06.jpg

HakNam07.jpg

HakNam03.jpg

For more info check out Greg Girard's book "City of Darkness"

http://www.greggirard.com/cityofdarkness.html

Does anyone have much insight into the use of precast concrete for houses?

Basically suburbia here is all: wood frame, brick walls, colourbond steel roof (or tiles), and plasterboard walls.

Larger scale building construction typically makes extensive use of precast, pretty much doing away with significant frame structures and brickwork.

My question is why aren't we building houses out of precast? ie. similar to the microhomes posted up the page.

I've seen some places where the entire house goes up in 2-3 days. Versus the weeks of framework, and brick by brick walls.

Is it a cost issue? Or are people not going that route for aesthetic reasons?

Personally I think the house building could be done far far more efficiently (I'm not an architect) if we moved away from the traditional concepts.

Builders have standard house design they sell to people. Surely they could achieve great efficiencies if this moved to a production line process (precast).

Thoughts appreciated.

Prefabricated concrete blocks with a layer of recycled insulation in between is great for any building almost anywhere. It's got great insulation, great sound cancelation, looks really moody and textured, makes building construction modular and fast, concrete itself is recyclable, etc. The only setbacks would be regional beurocracy like build codes and getting the town you're building in to accept a new style.

Out here it's fake ranch homes for days.

On the subject of smarter building materials, sustainable, modular, prefabricated building design... MY personal fave has always been straw bale. The straw bale itself is an agracultural waste product that you buy in 2 foot cubes from a farm for next to nothing. You stack em up any way you like, then use the local dirt to mix up a plaster and seal it all off. The straw bale itself is thick enough to hold up a second story, but build codes in california require a wood frame and chicken wire around the straw bale.

Heres whats cool about this shit:

-It's one of the oldest and easiest ways to build a house.

-You can basically do whatever you want with the walls. THey can be as curvy as you want. Stacking the bales and plastering is all done by hand so there's a lot of room for amateur builders to use artistic license.

-The plaster is made from regional dirt, so every house is a unique color. Kind of like how ancient cities were always made from a local quarry and therefore no two cities were the same color.

-Straw bale itself wont catch fire. It'll smoke forever, but completely flame retardent.

-Straw bale is porous yet hypoallergenic, allowing moisture vapor to travel through the walls without causing dryrot, fungus, etc.

-Termites and other insects hate straw bale.

-Straw bale is an amazing insulator and has been known to insulate a house against the hottest and coldest temperatures without affecting interior temp.

-The 2 foot thickness of straw bale means that all the windows in the house are inset, creating natural shading for every window.

-Straw bale is completely biodegradable, but will not biodegrade while it's plastered. Some of the longest-standing houses in the world (1000+ years old in egypt) are made of straw bale and being used.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...