2008 MLB Season.

DrUnKpUnCh

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I know of. Dodgers always fall short for one reason or another. I'm hoping they don't give up too much to get some hitters. Getting Nomar(who doesn't seem like he wants to be here), Kent and Gonzo were bad moves IMO. They need to push the youth to the front and balance that with some less aged veterans.

Not that I know of. Dodgers always fall short for one reason or another. I'm hoping they don't give up too much to get some hitters. Getting Nomar(who doesn't seem like he wants to be here), Kent and Gonzo were bad moves IMO. They need to push the youth to the front and balance that with some less aged veterans.

yo they got a great pitching staff... Dlowe is one of the slept on great starters in either league... and penny is amazing.... Nomar needs to get back on the roids... Kent wasn't that bad of a pickup... but they need a bat... another quality starter... and just a little bit of luck to compete in their division... I mean they got to play colorada and arizona a bunch this season... unless they bust something out in a trade before the season starts, or got some really dope young talent that is ready to step up and plug some holes, they just can't compete..

And you IOU I plan on going to some games this season you down?

Hell yeah I'm down for some games.

But Kent and Nomar are just too old and not worth the money. Leave the staff alone play them younger cats and get at least one blast master to torch teams from the plate and see if the youngsters step up to the spot light.

well I feel you on that.. but without kent and nomar just think of where you would have been last season... I really think you should ship some roids to nomar with a little note telling him to get back on them... kent has maybe 2 ok seasons left in him... and playing him alongside a younger player that can learn from him is going to be great for who ever they can bring up...

I hope they are catching him on his way out.. Off the top I think its a bad deal, but time will tell.

Andruw, Dodgers reach agreement

Deal calls for two years and $36.2 million, per a baseball official

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

tickets for any Major League Baseball game

Andruw Jones will take over center field, with Juan Pierre likely moving to left. (Wilfredo Lee/AP)

More Coverage

Dodgers Headlines

• Beimel, Proctor submit salary requests

• Torre taking time with roster decisions

• Five candidates for LA's best All-Time Catcher

• World Series star Podres laid to rest

• Robinson Foundation holds annual celebration

• More Dodgers Headlines

MLB Headlines

• Pena, Kazmir agree to deals with Rays

• Holliday signs for two years, $23 million

• Arbitration still looming for dozens of players

• Tigers ink Cabrera, Seay to contracts

• House asks Clemens, McNamee for meetings

• More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this pageprint this page | e-mail this pagee-mail this page

• Fantasy analysis

• Jones' bio, stats

• Free Agent Tracker

• Complete Winter Meetings coverage

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Dodgers landed the bat they've been seeking, reaching agreement on Wednesday night with free-agent outfielder Andruw Jones on a two-year, $36.2 million contract, according to a baseball official. The deal is contingent on Jones passing a physical exam.

Jones, a 10-time Gold Glove winner and five-time All Star, will take over center field, with Juan Pierre likely moving to left.

The negotiations, which appeared to be moving at a snail's pace over the first three days of the Winter Meetings, reached a rapid conclusion on Wednesday night. The short-term deal will allow Jones to rehabilitate his stats in time for another bite at the free-agent apple while still in his prime.

The market for Jones had been underwhelming in the wake of the worst season of his career -- .222 average, 26 homers, 94 RBIs. He also had interest from the Kansas City Royals.

Jones' former Braves teammates, however, indicated that he preferred to stay in the National League and was getting antsy for a resolution. Another former Atlanta teammate, Dodgers shortstop Rafael Furcal, placed more than one recruiting phone call to Jones, understandable because they were the closest of friends when they played together.

Jones, 30, is the big bat Colletti has been seeking since taking over two years ago, especially if his 2007 performance is an aberration compared with the previous two seasons, when he slugged 92 homers with 257 RBIs. The Dodgers made a run at acquiring Jones a year ago, but Jones would not waive a no-trade clause.

Jones will earn $9 million in 2008 and $15 million in 2009, and will receive a $12.2 million signing bonus, including $200,000 to be donated to the Dodgers Dream Foundation, spread over the term.

What happened to Jones in 2007? Trying to play with a secretly hyper-extended elbow didn't help, but such decisions are commonplace with free agency looming.

Jones recorded a .263 career batting average with 368 home runs, 1,117 RBIs, a .342 on-base percentage and a .497 slugging percentage in 12 big league seasons with the Braves.

The native of Curacao finished second in National League MVP voting in 2005 after leading the Majors with 51 homers and leading the NL with 128 RBIs. Over the past 10 seasons, in addition to earning a Gold Glove each year, Jones has averaged 35 home runs and 103 RBIs, and he has topped the 25-homer mark in each of those campaigns.

In his 12 Major League seasons, Jones has appeared in the postseason 10 times, hitting .273 with 10 homers and 33 RBIs in 17 playoff series.

Winter Meetings

Since his first full season in the Majors, in 1997, Jones has appeared in more games than any other big league player (1,730), and he has never spent time on the disabled list. His 363 homers during that period are the eighth-most in baseball, behind Alex Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Carlos Delgado and Vladimir Guerrero. He also ranks eighth among all Major Leaguers with 1,104 RBIs during that span.

Jones has registered 101 assists since 1997, the most of any big league center fielder, and his 4,486 putouts since reaching the big leagues are tops among all Major League outfielders by more than 500 (Johnny Damon ranks second, with 3,980).

Jones reached the Major Leagues as a 19-year-old in 1996, and was the youngest player in baseball that season when he became the first NL player and the second in Major League history to homer in his first two World Series at-bats. He was the youngest player to ever homer in the Fall Classic (19 years, five months, 27 days) and remained the youngest player in baseball the following year in 1997, when as a 20-year-old, he finished fifth in NL Rookie of the Year voting.

yo... can anyone tell me what jones hit last season?

Nothing....

I am just saying, with the year he put up last year in a contract year you really got to wonder what he is going to do this year... yeah he is still fairly young... he can still produce the HR... some rbi's... but seriously he hit .222 last year... 2 fucking 22.... and he stuck out more times then he got hits (of course arod does that all the time)..... I am just saying what kind of a year is he going to have with the dodgers... when every other hitter there just seems to get worse once they show up..... no really how the fuck can you play in the major leagues and hit .222 in a contract year... its 40 points below what he usually averages...

Zoes I don't know if I would put ortiz, or manny, in the high risk catergory for injury...

Manny has had some problems, but its just manny being manny, I mean regardless we are going to get 300, 30, 100 from him...

I definitely wouldn't put ortiz up there in high risk...

One of the things we need to do this year is get rid of J.D. drew... seriously he is a fucking overpaid bum... I really hope we drop him before the season starts... ..

Chances are, at age 37, Manny's gunna have a rough season

Especially after a season in which he payed the most games since his first year in the Bean

They say Ortiz's surgery a couple months ago went fine

But there's something about his framework that causes concern

Good thing hes just a DH

J.D. should have a much better season

Because it definitely can't be as bad as 07

yo... can anyone tell me what jones hit last season?

Nothing....

I am just saying, with the year he put up last year in a contract year you really got to wonder what he is going to do this year... yeah he is still fairly young... he can still produce the HR... some rbi's... but seriously he hit .222 last year... 2 fucking 22.... and he stuck out more times then he got hits (of course arod does that all the time)..... I am just saying what kind of a year is he going to have with the dodgers... when every other hitter there just seems to get worse once they show up..... no really how the fuck can you play in the major leagues and hit .222 in a contract year... its 40 points below what he usually averages...

Plus Los Angeles isn't a great spot for heavy hitter traditionally. In Spring when the air is still 'heavy' and moist.. The ball does not travel well. They still need another 20+ home run hitter to hit behind him. He's gonna strike a lot more if they get somebody to hit behind Jones. The bad management continues.

so the bet between me and Cubsin7! has been worked out

10 cans of ironlak is the bet on the season series between the red sox and tigers...

then the 20 cans of montana on the sox winning the world series..

dodgers vs. angels.... haha.. no fucking chance.. the dodgers need lots of help if they are going to make it to the series.. and the angels don't really stand much of a chance vs. cleveland, detroit, or boston in the playoffs...

and yes the gians do suck some serious ass / no homo

if Willis can hold it together the Tigers have an ill rotation.

honestly that is a big if! I mean look at his era last year.. and he is coming over to the american league which we all know is tougher on pitchers then the n.l. is...

Please, please sign Johan Santana for six years and 1xx million, Minnesota.

We already signed Justin Mornea to a 6-year, 80mil deal, and Michael Cuddyer to a 3-year, 24mil. If the Twins are flashing bills like that, then they should sign Santana before anyone else can.

And for you Angels fans, I hope you get the best out of Torii Hunter. There's one person who can make Vlad look bad.