The Secret and Subconscious Art of Graffiti Removal

mindvapors

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no you battle by going back over his buffs with a tag, hollow, or throwup. over and over again.

i suggest watching the dvd so you can get a better understanding... other writers talk about how they know him personally.

the dude has organized events for legal walls and shit. he said he likes graff (pieces). he just doesn't like grimey tags and throwups.

oh yeah, a couple philly writers met him too and were cool with him, during the making of the documentary.

I watched the DVD. I know exactly who you're talking about.

That guy's a complete douche.

He would definately regret being born if he was from my side of the country and heads knew who he was and where to find him.

And where I'm from legal eagles don't get too much respect either.

"Grimey tags and throwups" is our MO.

And I'm sure NM was cool with him out of politicing for the movie.

Send that nut to Philly to buff our shit and let us know where to find him and see what's really real.

Guest shai_hulud

Or, you could just not take graffiti seriously.

It's writing stuff on other people's stuff. It's a prank. If someone wants to make a game out of buffing my stuff, cool! More fresh stuff to paint.

I didn't pay for the paint or the ink. The time I spent painting or walking routes is time I might have just spent talking smack on the computer...or sleeping....or doing the five-finger shuffle on the old piss-pump.

He's after the same kind of attention that I am. We're both getting it. My idea of a win-win situation.

Or, you could just not take graffiti seriously.

It's writing stuff on other people's stuff. It's a prank. If someone wants to make a game out of buffing my stuff, cool! More fresh stuff to paint.

I didn't pay for the paint or the ink. The time I spent painting or walking routes is time I might have just spent talking smack on the computer...or sleeping....or doing the five-finger shuffle on the old piss-pump.

He's after the same kind of attention that I am. We're both getting it. My idea of a win-win situation.

OK ,so if instead of buffing you he was ragging you with his name you would just laugh it off as a prank?

What are you talking about?

you've never heard of two writers in a friendly battle? where it's just on the walls, without involving pulling out bats and gats? same policy towards mr. buffer. what's the difference?

do you try to hunt down every single person that's gone over you to assault with a weapon?

i just hate when the media always wants to associate writers with "gang members". a lot of people don't differentiate... they see you catching a tag and then people act like you're a gangbanger. we all know that's not true. but people like you don't do anything but help reinforce that stereotype.

Guest shai_hulud
OK ,so if instead of buffing you he was ragging you with his name you would just laugh it off as a prank?

What are you talking about?

No, I'd jap him or cross him out. I've owned people who tried to battle me. I'll smoke crack and go on a three day mission taking out everything I see that they did. Would I fight them? No, they didn't threaten me. If they tried to fight me, I'd defend myself. I've just never understood fistfighting over vandalism. As far as me initiating the fight over honor, or whatever. I'm not saying that you're wrong to, if you want to. It's not my style.

He's not exactly following graffiti rules. The buff guy, that is. Him singling out certain people is lame. I agree that he's probably just jealous because he missed the boat.

But, would I lose sleep over it? Not on your life.

The people I grew up with were really, really good writers. Sort of on their own level as far as talent went. They never seemed to get to worked up over battling. It just wasn't that important.

DRUNKENASSHOLEONER reminds me of that scene in State Your Name (I forgot who it was) where the dude's in a projects stairwell with his crew talking and being so unbelievably ghetto and gangster. I thought it was gonna end up being a joke, but it wasn't. Graffiti is not that serious. That's one of the many reasons i don't even bother writing on other people's shit anymore. Graffiti sucks.

you've never heard of two writers in a friendly battle? where it's just on the walls, without involving pulling out bats and gats? same policy towards mr. buffer. what's the difference?

The difference is when it's a "friendly" battle we just write a vs next to dudes shit. Like "DAO vs Theo". It's called versing. To see who has more ups.

This niggas straight buffing on some vigilante shit. If he was working for the city and that was his job it'd be one thing, but he's just out to be a dick for the sake of it.

Why do I even have to explain this shit to so called graffiti writers?

Guest shai_hulud

No offense, but I probably wouldn't enjoy the scene in Philly as much as the scene here, DAO.

We're very different people. I think we agreed on that in the past. I'm laid back, you're more type-A. Cool. Takes all kinds to run a railroad, as they say.

I say this in the nicest way, but I hope that your dedication and passion for the game don't get you hurt or killed one day. I'd feel bad. Sincerely.

You're a smart guy. I think you have a lot more ahead of you than that.

The difference is when it's a "friendly" battle we just write a vs next to dudes shit. Like "DAO vs Theo". It's called versing. To see who has more ups.

This niggas straight buffing on some vigilante shit. If he was working for the city and that was his job it'd be one thing, but he's just out to be a dick.

Why do I even have to explain this shit to so called graffiti writers?

i know about "ups" battles.

but i'm talking about capping each other. it's not really friendly, but both parties have enough common sense to duke it out on the walls. and in the end they shake hands over it at a barbecue or somethin. and move on

Guest shai_hulud
i know about "ups" battles.

but i'm talking about capping each other. it's not really friendly, but both parties have enough common sense to duke it out on the walls. and in the end they shake hands over it at a barbecue or somethin. and move on

I've heard about some battles getting into the realms of the absurd. As far as the action above and beyond the vandalism.

I just don't get it. Graff is ephemeral by nature. Fillins are a drop in the bucket, tags like pissing in the ocean...if what you did is truly nice, then get a flick of it. Post it on the internet, then it will last forever.

I just could not fathom wanting to hurt someone over beef. I might hack them, or go over them, or burn them...but fighting them? Maybe I just missed the boat as far as all that goes.

No offense, but I probably wouldn't enjoy the scene in Philly as much as the scene here, DAO.

We're very different people. I think we agreed on that in the past. I'm laid back, you're more type-A. Cool. Takes all kinds to run a railroad, as they say.

I say this in the nicest way, but I hope that your dedication and passion for the game don't get you hurt or killed one day. I'd feel bad. Sincerely.

You're a smart guy. I think you have a lot more ahead of you than that.

It's cool. I don't think you're really built for the scene in Philly anyways.

I don't mean that as a diss, just sayin.

I just assumed most real writers took this shit as serious as we do.

I guess that's not the case.

And trust, I've got a few battle scars from this shit.

Guest shai_hulud
It's small-penis syndrome.

tuna_can_3.jpg

Mine look like this...hmmm. Could be right.

And DAO...I couldn't agree more. One of my good friends lives in Philly half the year..and is the only writer that is always strapped. Even out here.

So, if I come to visit, we can just go out to lunch or go skate or something.

this conversation is interesting to me i guess i never really thought about it too hard... i mean if i have beef with someone i doubt i would hunt them out and go out of my way to find em but if i ran into them in the yard or something i dont think i would be like "gee guy wanna battle it out?" then again i dont think i would necessarily just cold cock 'em

And trust, I've got a few battle scars from this shit.

Something I find myself doing often is looking at something in life, from an extremely zoomed out perspective. Extremely zoomed out. I look at the same thing but from the view of, say, another being from another world. Just imagine, for a second, and purely conceptually, there being beings who deal physical harm, even death, over drawing on other people's things.

Now, if they understood just how unbelievably minuscule and recreational drawing on other people's property really was in human culture, imagine how they would think of humans.

/endzenmode

Guest shai_hulud

The last guy I battled turned out to be some coke dealer that wanted to kill me.

I didn't know that he was a coke dealer. I didn't care. I just wanted to prove a point. One night, I came out of a bar and saw three of my tags gone over by him. So, I hacked him mercilessly for months. Then, I moved across the bay...and, I would come back across the Bay once a week to go to physical therapy. On those nights, I'd hack out anything of his I saw. I'd only do one tag for every five of his that I crossed out. But, one of mine equaled ten of his. I had fun. Then, he went to jail for some reason. I felt bad hacking out his stuff, and besides, it wasn't a challenge at that point. Eventually, I got bored, and forgot about it.

A few months later, I found out he wanted to kill me. No one knew who I was, but I knew who he was, and where he lived. I never went to his house. I laid waste to his neighborhood, but it was all in good humor. Stamping his street was a definite highlight.

See, he couldn't keep up. He had to threaten to put me in the graveyard to feel like he was holding up his end of the battle. And, in doing so, he handed me the victory, game, set and match.

Something I find myself doing often is looking at something in life, from an extremely zoomed out perspective. Extremely zoomed out. I look at the same thing but from the view of, say, another being from another world. Just imagine, for a second, and purely conceptually, there being beings who deal physical harm, even death, over drawing on other people's things.

Now, if they understood just how unbelievably minuscule and recreational drawing on other people's property really was in human culture, imagine how they would think of humans.

/endzenmode

I can feel where you're coming from in that I started writing for the same reasons most kids did. Like a prank, cause it's fun and exiting and all that.

But then you get into it and start getting rep and all that and then here comes some buster dissing your shit or going over you or whatever and it's basically on par with somebody walking up and spitting in your face infront of everybody that you know and alot of other people that you don't know.

I mean it's bad enough that you have to compete with the city buffing your shit, but then for some other civilian to come and spit in your face???

How are you not going to react to that accordingly?