Miranda Rights?

Crystal.method

Hey i reciently got arrested for graffiti. Only 2 charges. loitering and criminal mischief. both misdemeners. Im got a courtdate and i didnt have to pay bail cause i got a bitch that booked me and cited me cause her son wrote.

BUT

they didnt read me my mirada writes when they arrested me. can i get the case dropped or throw out because of this?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

if you take it to trial, the odds that the cop is going to risk lying about something so insignificant is unlikly. if shes found guilty, she lied on trial ans will get fired. if she just admits it, she gets a slap on the wrist and your charges will probably get dropped, but thats no sweat off her back.

10. Aren’t police required to read me my rights?

No. The courts have made clear that police officers do not have to tell people that they can refuse to consent to a warrantless search. In other words, a police officer does not need to read you your rights before asking you to consent to a search. Also, despite the widespread myth to the contrary, an officer does not need to get your consent in writing. Oral consent is completely valid.

Many people believe that an officer must automatically read a person his or her Miranda rights as part of performing an arrest, either immediately before or immediately after an arrest is made. This is also myth.

The truth is that the only time an officer must read a person his or her Miranda rights is when: (1) the person has been taken into custody, and (2) the officer is about to question the person about a crime.

Police officers are often pretty tricky about trying to get someone’s consent to a search. They know that most people feel intimidated by police officers and are predisposed to comply with any request by a police officer. For example, the average motorist stopped by a police officer who asks them, "Would you mind opening the trunk, please?" will probably consent to the officer’s search without realizing that they have every right to deny the officer’s request.

http://www.flexyourrights.org... handy website

if you got booked and not mirandized anything you told cops can not be used at a trial. likely to get dropped but cant say for sure since it is now a post 911 way of thinking. minors are read there rights. rights need to be read bfore you are booked in to jail at the leastest. way to many times in trouble i jave been.

ok well im 18 so the minor thing, while it would be nice to be a minor at this point. doesnt apply. And i was booked for 2 misdomeners. Ill try it in court, but i cant afford a lawyer so im going to use a provided one. Im hopeing i can get off, but, i did run, there was a cop car there when i was arrested but we were behind it about 15 feet...do the cameras in the squad car pick up sound? cause they will verify that i was never read my rights.

ok well im 18 so the minor thing, while it would be nice to be a minor at this point. doesnt apply. And i was booked for 2 misdomeners. Ill try it in court, but i cant afford a lawyer so im going to use a provided one. Im hopeing i can get off, but, i did run, there was a cop car there when i was arrested but we were behind it about 15 feet...do the cameras in the squad car pick up sound? cause they will verify that i was never read my rights.

I'm a little surprised that they didn't bust you for trying to run. It sounds like you were really lucky to only get busted for a pair of misdemeanors. As i understand it, you may have actually waived your rights by running - essentially admitting your guilt. Maybe that's why they didn't charge you for trying to split. Give it a shot i guess, if you're using a court appointed lawyer they probably won't be too keen on helping you out, they usually just go through the motions, you should ask around and see if you can get a lawyer who would be inclined to help your punk ass out.

I don't know, it sounds a whole lot like this is going to court, and i'll bet that if it would have mattered to have read you your rights, that they wouldn't have forgotten them. Good luck.

I'm a little surprised that they didn't bust you for trying to run. It sounds like you were really lucky to only get busted for a pair of misdemeanors. As i understand it, you may have actually waived your rights by running - essentially admitting your guilt. Maybe that's why they didn't charge you for trying to split. Give it a shot i guess, if you're using a court appointed lawyer they probably won't be too keen on helping you out, they usually just go through the motions, you should ask around and see if you can get a lawyer who would be inclined to help your punk ass out.

I don't know, it sounds a whole lot like this is going to court, and i'll bet that if it would have mattered to have read you your rights, that they wouldn't have forgotten them. Good luck.

wrong advice hoime. running has nothing to do with wavinhg your miranda rights. the have to be verbally given to you or you can read a paper with them on it , and that is still cutting it close legaly. as for a public defender they are wotrh only as much as they defender them self. i have had a few good ones. court appointed lawyers dont always work for the court system.

criminal mischief SUCKS. it is not a small deal.

if you do anything, get it changed to vandalizm.

DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY TO CRIMINAL MISCHIEF.

criminal mischief is intentionally vague. you can be considered an enemy combatant and thrown in prison with no rights just for suspicion of 'criminal mischief'.

• 3 weeks later...

Any officer taking and individual into custody (arrest) MUST read you your writes.. But ONLY when taking you into custody, not searching you for officer protection!

And officer can pat you down if they feel they are at risk of being injured but the CANNOT put there hands in your pockets unless they immediatly feel something suspicious and can recognize it immediatly when feeling it.

I would try to get the case dismissed and you probably will..

BUT GET A GOOD LAWYER!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR REALS! CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH! IM NOT JOKING!!! FOR REALS! GET A GOOD LAWYER!

Guest spectr

haha... I tried to fight a case on Miranda rights one time.. they actually dropped the charges.... of course they questioned me after arresting me and read me my rights after questioning me.... and the cop was stupid enough to put it in his police report... but you only need to be read your rights if they are questioning you... of course... friendly conversations don't count as questioning... and shit like that...

ok....

1. if you are underage and get arrested.... don't say anything... really don't.... I don't care what they say.... if it's oh we just want to make sure you're just out tagging and not breaking into cars.... or we will let you go with just a warning this time... don't say a fucking word...

In most states they can't question you without your parents being informed and being present... which means you will have a lawyer.. which means you will say nothing.... so just say nothing... trust me on this one...

just ask for your lawyer and your parents.... getting grounded or your ass whooped by your parents is better then dealing with the legal system any day...

2. if you are of age.. meaning over 16 - 18 depending on the state... just tell them you have nothing to say until you talk to your lawyer... odds are you will get released the next day after your arraignment... you will get a public defender... if its a felony case.. odds are you will get a decent one who has actually gone to trail at least once in his career... since the courts do have to appoint that knows what he is doing for felony cases... but for a misdemeanor odds are you will get one that will avoid trial like the plague and just try to get you to cop to whatever plea they are willing to give you..

from here you are on your own... just remember the burden of proof is on the prosecution in court...

Edit: I really got to wonder why I waste time explaining any of this... its all here before... go read... seriously... the same question gets asked over and over again in here.... are some of you fucking retarded?

• 3 weeks later...
theres a camera on each police car/motorcycle/bike you fucking idiot

yeah but unless something significant happens that day i'd say they just record over the tape again when it runs out

otherwise thered be storage issues with all these tapes.

• 2 years later...

GRAFFITI vandals are damaging and delaying hundreds of trains a month - and their methods are becoming increasingly brazen.

Transport Asset Protection Officers have turned up a nocturnal gang who set up trestle tables for their gear as they prepared to "graffiti bomb" carriages, and detected interstate and even international offenders.

In recent months, Connex has recorded up to 180 incidents of vandalism a month -- with graffiti top of the list -- damaging and delaying hundreds more services.

Connex spokesman John Rees said vandals who had been nabbed included one from Germany.

"There are certainly networks of these vandals, and they are grandstanders -- we're finding more and more often that when a group is tagging or graffiti 'bombing' a train, there's a 'watchdog', and there's someone who's got a digital camera taking photos," he said.

"Often, they've flown into the city for one night, they get a hire car and find their targets, they hit our trains, and they're already posting it up on internet networks on the way back to the airport."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey i reciently got arrested for graffiti. Only 2 charges. loitering and criminal mischief. both misdemeners. Im got a courtdate and i didnt have to pay bail cause i got a bitch that booked me and cited me cause her son wrote.

BUT

they didnt read me my mirada writes when they arrested me. can i get the case dropped or throw out because of this?

ive never been read miranda rights. it sucks but it doesnt mean nothing