Cars: Engine modifications

fuse=--action

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming "performance" == go fast in a straight line' date=' the best bang for your buck would be B18B1 (Integra LS) swap -> turbo it approx 7psi, don't forget to get it tuned. Should hold up fine on stock internals.[/quote']

more like a B18c5....if you swap you might aswell build up the engine, screw the 7 pounds it will only get you about 50whp.....garbage!...but 7psi will hold up on stock interns you are right about that.

more like a B18c5....if you swap you might aswell build up the engine' date=' screw the 7 pounds it will only get you about 50whp.....garbage!...but 7psi will hold up on stock interns you are right about that.[/quote']

I said best bang for his buck, and was trying to keep it simple. Also, if you're only getting 50whp from 7psi on a LS then something is wrong with your motor or your tuning skills.

Btw: I may be selling my 280zx turbo. Its got some pretty bad rust under it on the frame rails, and I still havent gotten time to replace them. I love the car, but I may part it out and give the engine to my pops so he can put it in a 240.

Ive been looking at a 300zx turbo. It is alittle banged up but im pretty good with bodywork now.

For visual:

sasha%202.JPG

In the end I would like it to look something like the japanese 200ZR:

z31club-000a.jpg

Hopefully I can get around to putting a rb20det in it...

I decided that for right now I'll probably get a cool air intake because it seems to yeild a fair amount of power for a rather low cost. That way I can enjoy a little more power, save money for the next mod, and think about what the next mod should be (and if that happens to be an engine swap, whatever, I haven't lost much money).

The question is what kind to get. I hear AEM makes some of the best cool air intakes for civics, but I've also found this front end mounted cool air intake, but I don't know how to feel about it.

-fuse.

p.s. If the linked intake is actually an intercooler, I was actually just searching the internet for a front end mounted intake (that exists) that was described to me, so I may not have found the exact intake in question.

I decided that for right now I'll probably get a cool air intake because it seems to yeild a fair amount of power for a rather low cost. That way I can enjoy a little more power, save money for the next mod, and think about what the next mod should be (and if that happens to be an engine swap, whatever, I haven't lost much money).

The question is what kind to get. I hear AEM makes some of the best cool air intakes for civics, but I've also found this front end mounted cool air intake, but I don't know how to feel about it.

-fuse.

p.s. If the linked intake is actually an intercooler, I was actually just searching the internet for a front end mounted intake (that exists) that was described to me, so I may not have found the exact intake in question.

Ive seen only a few of the those intakes, I'm not too sure about them. If it were me, i would just got with the Cai. I had an AEM Cai on my eclipse back in the day, never had any problems with it and it sounded nice..not loud like a ram air intake, those are pretty obnoxious.

I dont know too much about honda's. I mainly stick to nissans, and mitsubishi's. So some of my comments may be generalized or off about honda specifics.

If you are going to do engine swap, just save your money. The Cai wont be a difference you can feel. Putting a k&n air filter into your stock box for now would almost be the same thing, as a cai will not unleash much hp from your honda stock.

If you are going to do engine swap' date=' just save your money. The Cai wont be a difference you can feel. Putting a k&n air filter into your stock box for now would almost be the same thing, as a cai will not unleash much hp from your honda stock.[/quote']

The problem is that I wouldn't have the necessary funds for quite some time, so I was wanting to do this in the mean time (also while I figure the whole "my car being given to my kid sister" thing out). If the sister thing happened, I would be getting a manual, which are better for mod'ing/more fun.

I also started looking at flywheels today and thinking about low end torque and transient energy. Some are much more expensive than others is all that I'm noticing so far.

-fuse.

Back again.

Fuse, what exact model of civic are you driving. You said its a 95 civic? This will help.

I didnt see it listed above.

If you are going to swap your engine or turbocharge it, I wouldnt do anything to it right now. Save up for the swap.

Instead of spending money, spend time reading up on your car. Go to a forum like hondacivicforum.com and other civic forums and just start reading Faq's. Look at other peoples cars and write ups on their modifications and read the how to guides that are there. Over time you will realize what it will take to make your car what you want it to be. That way you are prepared for whichever route you take and you know what and what not to do, what has worked for people and what has failed. Also read up on cars. If your going to upgrade your hp, your going to better stopping power, thus new brakes. Also, your suspension is KEY to safety and preformance. Read up on the funtions of all of these, and if needed buy Gran Tourismo 4. Start messing with settings of the cars and see how they react. It sounds corny but youll see the difference in the car with soft springs as apposed to hard, etc. This will make things ALOT easier for you.

I dont want to sound preachy or all knowing. My intent was not to make you look uninformed. Im just trying to help.

This is just like painting. The first time you went out, im assuming nothing you put up looked like you wanted it to in your head. Same works for cars.

An engine swap is a pretty big undertaking sometimes even for experienced people. Your not just gonna throw it in and there and go. There is a wealth of info you can use to your advantage, USE IT.

:p

Does the Air ByPass Valve work? (in reference to the AEM CAI)

Never had one on my eclipse. The thing is, unless your car goes scuba diving your not going to need it. It will would take the intake being fully submerged for it to start pulling in water. Most cai's sit about 2 feet off the ground, and unless your driving through two feet of standing water, its not going to be hurt. Most people who value their car are not going to go in areas where there is standing water or known to be flooded areas. Sure some instances may arise where you cannot help it, maybe the valve would work. Better safe than sorry.

K&N just released a cover that is water resistant for their cone filters but still fully functional, Im probably going to purchase one for my Z.

I said best bang for his buck' date=' and was trying to keep it simple. Also, if you're only getting 50whp from 7psi on a LS then something is wrong with your motor or your tuning skills.[/quote']

really, its shows that you know nothing about engines....how much whp do u expect from 7 pounds of boost?

The swap is looking like a better option every time that I look at all of this. I'm debating on if I want a B18B or a B18C R. Does it even make a difference if you bore the engine out anyways? And how much does boring cost (if it's inhibitively expensive, it might make a difference in which engine I lean towards more)?

-fuse.