Boondocks MLK episode

SpyD

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The comic strip is extremely well done, so well done that I think sometimes it really flies over people's heads. I've been watching the animated series pretty steadily, and I felt it just didn't capture the strip well, but its understandable as it cant move and shake and change on a daily basis- its gotta be animated in advance and probably be slightly more palatable to a viewing audience. The MLK episode finally got it right. Anyone who thinks its controversial just wasn't using their brain enough.

McGruder always defends himself well too.

Originally posted by PushbuttonWarfare@Jan 17 2006, 02:40 PM

The comic strip is extremely well done, so well done that I think sometimes it really flies over people's heads. I've been watching the animated series pretty steadily, and I felt it just didn't capture the strip well, but its understandable as it cant move and shake and change on a daily basis- its gotta be animated in advance and probably be slightly more palatable to a viewing audience. The MLK episode finally got it right. Anyone who thinks its controversial just wasn't using their brain enough.

Exactly.

Aaron Mcgruder's smile makes me laugh. He's trying so damn hard not to laugh.

The shows not that funny....but from what I can remember, that episode was the truth. Particularly MLK's speech.

Keep in mind....I've only seen 3 episodes in full- Guess Hos Coming to Dinner, Return of the King, and The Reality show one.....& some of the Garden Party.

The language used on the show may be a bit "harsh", so much so that some people just won't get it, or see any humor. Some people just get offended too quickly.

I, for one, can't find anything that is really offensive. The way blacks are portrayed--super accurate. There's an exaggerated representative for some of the major groups. Thank god I finally have a representative for a lot of the niggas I meet, Uncle Ruckus. They might not be as vocal as he is, but I see them.

Too bad most of the people that I find watching this show are apologist white kids, that take everything said to heart. Damnit!

Originally posted by Yellow Feets@Jan 18 2006, 01:01 AM

My computer lags and I coudn't watch the whole clip steadily. But I saw MLK being portrayed as a "traitor" during the clip before firefox closed itself. What was that about?

haha it had him, in reference to the sept 11 attack, saying that the bible teaches to turn the other cheek, and as he sais it, the camera pans to a shocked church crowd, and flashes to the president's spokesman saying MLK was the "ex"civil rights leader, and needed to watch his f*cking language.

fantastic

Guest KING BLING

BUT, you'll note the interview clip omits the 9/11 referance...and I was disapointed by his responces - I mean I didn't expect him to go Kanye West during the interview but his seemed to avoid commiting to what the episode was about...

It was a good episode and Bill Cosby is awesome too...

Originally posted by PushbuttonWarfare@Jan 17 2006, 02:40 PM

have you thought about what controversial means? just the fact that there are strongly opposing views on this subject shows that it is in fact controversial. I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, but I can respect how people might find it a little over the edge to assume that someone who is long deceased and well respected would feel a certain way about one thing or another, especially if one assumes that he would use offensive language.

I should have said offensive instead of controversial. Point being, is he was being controversial in order to possibly offend people in the hopes that it might spark dialogue/thought. His underlying use of King was to actually praise and admire the man who he might think society is forgetting, whereas I've seen MLK used for comedy and it was highly offensive and not thought-provoking at all. say word.