ITALY.....

Pfffffffffft

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

There are a heavy handfull of places that give a more formidable mix of past and present with far more contrast, order, cleanliness and care..

I find Italy as a whole to be a Roman ruin..

It is a place that has fell into neglectful despair with only it's history to brag about..

It is a disgrace to it's glorious past and a disgrace to itself for being so poorly kept..

When crossing into Italy, noteably by air, you can immediately and clearly see the border between France, Suisse and/or Austria by the abrupt death of crops, farmland patchwork and infrastructure..

More on the cities; How, for example, can one of the most touristed cities IN THE WORLD have subway-fare vending machines that don't give change?!

And police that are waiting to fine you if you skip the fare but unwilling to give you change..or even directions?!

Italy is crippled by it's corruption and it's lack of care for substance overtaken by polititians and bureaucrats lust for power and wealth..

The cities are dirty, absolutely inconvienent, poorly managed, over-policed and under-disciplined.. as well as jam packed with lazy and miserable middle class italian workers side-by-side with immigrants and religious pilgrams willing to break there backs for that position..

Despite the statistics and despite it's status, Italy does not feel, operate or even look like a first world country, much less a western European mogul that usto control global trade..

It is exactly what the tourist attraction is, a Roman ruin.

Most people make up there mind that they like a place before they even step foot in it..

They let thier perception follow thier expectation; and ignore the contradictions to it..

They can see the neglect and disrepair as "nostalgic" or "rustic".. but keep in mind,

it is'nt disneyland.. that is not intentional to set some type of mood..

It is a direct result of something bad, and in the long-run it will only cut decades, if not centuries off of the lives of it's truely "rustic" and"nostalgic" entities..

The people who live in the cities are not happy about it, although they may be comfortable with it by now..

And keep in mind that only those who see no hope in thier leadership and the direction of thier country are fearful of change and overly proud of what was.. rather than what is, or what will be..

Go on, make the most of it..

I'm by no means saying it's a horrible place, it just is'nt what is could or should be..

It has plenty of natural splendor and plently of history..

and as suggested, with a moto, you can manage the transportation mess of the cities..

-

As for those who take my comments as direct insults,

You're only telling me that you are not truely an Italian citizen or resident..

If you were, you'd atleast understand and symphatise with my perspective..

"Take it how you want it, A closed mouth does'nt get fed"

--

P.S.

Please read my previous post to put this one in fair context

---

& P.P.S.

Croatia has the longest stretch of nude beaches in the world~

and it's the region that's closest to the Italian border~

Pula and north~

Sex sex sex safe sex!

Nah mate Croatia is where it's at.

finer women

cheaper food

Italy is good mind you

The path of the gods hike between Bomerano and Positano on the Amalfi coast is nice! shame when you reach the end it's like everybody loves raymond.

must be said Rome -can't fade it

Napoli- fucken lively spot

Venice should sink into the filthy lagoon from whence it came

but Croatia and Slovenia are in another galaxy!

Originally posted by H. Lecter@Jan 17 2006, 04:49 PM

There are a heavy handfull of places that give a more formidable mix of past and present with far more contrast, order, cleanliness and care..

It is a place that has fell into neglectful despair with only it's history to brag about..

It is a disgrace to it's glorious past and a disgrace to itself for being so poorly kept..

When crossing into Italy, noteably by air, you can immediately and clearly see the border between France, Suisse and/or Austria by the abrupt death of crops, farmland patchwork and infrastructure..

More on the cities; How, for example, can one of the most touristed cities IN THE WORLD have subway-fare vending machines that don't give change?!

And police that are waiting to fine you if you skip the fare but unwilling to give you change..or even directions?!

Italy is crippled by it's corruption and it's lack of care for substance overtaken by polititians and bureaucrats lust for power and wealth..

The cities are dirty, absolutely inconvienent, poorly managed, over-policed and under-disciplined.. as well as jam packed with lazy and miserable middle class italian workers side-by-side with immigrants and religious pilgrams willing to break there backs for that position..

Despite the statistics and despite it's status, Italy does not feel, operate or even look like a first world country, much less a western European mogul that usto control global trade..

Most people make up there mind that they like a place before they even step foot in it..

They let thier perception follow thier expectation; and ignore the contradictions to it..

They can see the neglect and disrepair as "nostalgic" or "rustic".. but keep in mind,

It is a direct result of something bad, and in the long-run it will only cut decades, if not centuries off of the lives of it's truely "rustic" and"nostalgic" entities..

The people who live in the cities are not happy about it, although they may be comfortable with it by now..

And keep in mind that only those who see no hope in thier leadership and the direction of thier country are fearful of change and overly proud of what was.. rather than what is, or what will be..

I'm by no means saying it's a horrible place, it just is'nt what is could or should be..

and as suggested, with a moto, you can manage the transportation mess of the cities..

-

--

P.S.

---

& P.P.S.

Pula and north~

Sex sex sex safe sex!

Lecter is definitely someone who's actually travelled - it's true italy is like that, but to avoid excess "neglect and despair" just avoid naples LOL

Nah Man definitely go to Naples it's grimy mean and fuckin' fun!and it isn't full of college kids starting every conversation with "what's you major?"

Capri is worth it for a day but be warned it's pretty expensive.

The Aolian isalnds of the coast of sicily are too fucking good should have put them in my first post!!!!!

Lipari is the most populated

Vulcano is the closest to sicily

Stromboli is Europe's only active volcano if you go past at night you can see it going off!

Originally posted by H. Lecter@Jan 17 2006, 02:49 PM

there are others that offer a mix of old, but not as old as rome, greece yes, the mid east yes, but id say italys history is older than say the netherlands. cleaner, probably. wow. its dirty. alot of the world is.

well, id argue that it isnt, its the fashion center of the world, design, the coast, the islands, the wine, the food, so much more than some ruins. some parts arent well kept, but what can you do with 2 thousand year old broken down houses? pave them for a shopping district.

the climate difference between austria, suisse and france is very different than that of middle to southern italy. different crops too. im not a farmer, so i cant talk about infrastructure.

the subway machines give you change, you just have to use them correctly. smallest to largest coins in first, or the opposite. follow the instructions. have patience. its obvious the subway company has no money as the state of their trains. your a graffiti writer im assuming, so why are you paying for the subway when the turnstyles dont work.

the police dont issue fines on the metro. the subway company does. theyre just bonehead guards trying to hustle you for money. if you give it up, or cant talk your way out, thats your fault. italy has never had an amazing economy, so you try and get what you can, where you can. they know you have money, so why not try and get it.

directions? can you imagine being asked that 50000 times a day? alot of romans dont speak very good english, or want to talk to one of the zillion tourists. buy a map.

every country is corrupt. name a country without politicians who do the same.

some dirty? yes, all? no. inconveniant? no, theres just a different way to operate. over policed? yes, but its job creation. under disciplined? im not sure what your point is here. lots of lazy workers? id say laid back and dont care about only money and some silly corporate strategy. italy doesent have an amazing economy, why immigrate there knowing that? lots of countries have this problem.

i disagree and agree, it has both sides to it. fantastic design, multiple shops, hotels, everything you could want in a first world country. and poor areas id say the us or any country has plenty of that as well. global trade leader? no. obviously not. but id say its a first world country regalrdless somethings are old. somehow, things do work there.

if you went just to see ruins, you missed out.

when i moved there, i made a choice not to see what it was like, never bothered to look at photos, nothing. i hated it at first, understood i had to change the way i looked at it and the way it operates. then totaly loved it for what it was and all its chaos.

for the most part, things arent fixed if they arent broken. im not sure exactly what your talking about here? roads? houses? buildings? walls? i had no trouble living a normal life in italy the way things are. elaborate please.

i was happy to live in rome. 90% of my italian friend are happy living in rome and wouldnt live anywhere else. some of my italian friends do want to leave, but then again, some of my canadian friends hate it here and want to leave just as bad. it happens in every country.

this is a big generalization your making. what people? i wouldnt say everyone is fearful of change, maybe they dont see a need for it. not everyone wants the american dream of 40 hour work weeks, suv's, strip malls and a house in the burbs. id say life has more importance there than the idea of constant change and often unneeded "progress".

what i wouldnt give to open a bar somewhere in the south, take august off, close on sundays, visit my family, eat good food, worry about what wine im going to drink, play football on the weekend, and enjoy a slow life. not saying every italian wants that, but it doesent seem half bad to me.

areed, it could be alot more than what it is, but does it have to be? i think that if thats what the majority of people there truly wanted it would happen. i dont know who is to say what it should be, but more what it could be.

-

i was a resident on a few occasions, and still feel like i am, i could leave tomorrow and go back to the life i had there. unfortunatley i cant. i do understand your frustration with the place, ive experianced it all, getting fucked out of money, arrested, delayed and cancelled trains, lost luggage, robbed, things dont work, clogged fucking drains, showers never working, no ac in the summer, no heat in the winter, shops closed when you need them, noone having what you want at the shop when it opens, but ive come to understand thats how things are, be patient, give yourself time, and things work out. it isnt that bad.

im not saying its the best place on earth to live, but its not so bad. im not trying to come off like a dick, but i think you maybe were a bit hard on the place. maybe you had a bad time, alot of people do. i have a thing against belgium, evry time ive been ive had a shitty time, but im not going to write the place off. but i do understand your points.

all regions are very different i think italy is a place that cannot be generalized whatsoever. i mean, treviso vs napoli is like stockholm vs lille. its a crazy place. but not the failure you make it to be. dont go just for ruins. your missing alot.

--

P.S.

---

& P.P.S.

Pula and north~

Sex sex sex safe sex!

dont miss napoli. graffiti paradise. its dirty, smelly, rough, but a cool city. so many trains, cool clubs, cool areas, everything. just watch your camera, and dont head to napoli nord. or buy anything from a street vendor.

Napoli!

dirty... corrupted...crazy drivers...mafia.... i love it!!!! ( maybe the nightmare of H.LEcter..)

this city is the opposite of the clean , efficient and quiet typical north american city...

even if it doesnt have the charms of Roma of Florence...you gotta go there to expericence the capital of south of italy