Toys post here...

swif1

In case anyone's curious... here's my stock:

http://www.shapelessmass.com/offsite/my_stock.jpg

NOTE: I use sharpies more than anything except for outlines, which I use Bic Flair felt tips for most of all.

The piece above has prismacolor pencil, elmers paint pens, sharpies, prisma markers, bic markits, cheap no-name brand dollar store pens, microns and plain old pencil in it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yessiriwill / MEKO:: i like the flick you posted... but i glanced through the other flicks and i like this one best for both letter style and color http://www.flickr.com/photos/83765469@N00/222067239/

i love that you use black and purple [that is BY FAR my fave color combo, as in, if i were a dude those colors would give me a hard on every time i saw them.]

and for purely letter style, i like the one you posted best.

i know this isn't a crit... cuz i'm more of a newb than anyone on here i think... so im really not one to give crits any time soon.

yessirwill --i checked out the flickr site, added you as a contact as well. even though this is the paper chase, it's cool you came in for crits. i'd say this, start posting your paper work on here as well. you're off to a good start with cans, but you could still use some work on structure. i suck with cans, so i'm not going to give any crits on your work. i will say this, your can control ain't bad, you just need to work on style and structure. also, tell your buddy adam that if he's going to go out painting freights --that he shouldn't bring his book with him. don't bring your book if you go painting anything illegal.

Stuff from yesterday when 12oz was down...

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Aaaaand one from today

IMG_0711.jpg

bro i like your stuff...and i know i'm new to this and you don't have to take this...but like have you noticed that your v's and u's look the same...i think it would look a little better if you like...made them a little different

wease... you need to be doing your simples more like this:

http://www.shapelessmass.com/offsite/simple.jpg

All letters pretty much the same size, thickness, style, etc.

Try it... don't do anything else. You keep posting simples but even in your simples, you try to shake it up a bit, then complain that your simples don't look good. They don't look good partly because you're not drawing straight lines.

Look at this:

http://www.shapelessmass.com/offsite/WeaseZInk1Outline.jpg

eh, alright i'll work on it i guess. that's so boring tho...

it is...my shit kept getting wrecked and they kept telling me to do simples...i've kinda started to develop some of my own stuff...it's alot easier...it's kinda like...you gotta learn to walk before you can run

Vertigo... read this:

wease... you need to be doing your simples more like this:

http://www.shapelessmass.com/offsite/simple.jpg

All letters pretty much the same size, thickness, style, etc.

Try it... don't do anything else. You keep posting simples but even in your simples, you try to shake it up a bit, then complain that your simples don't look good. They don't look good partly because you're not drawing straight lines.

Look at this:

http://www.shapelessmass.com/offsite/WeaseZInk1Outline.jpg

I know it seems boring.

The thing is, you have to master the basics before you move on to more complex stuff.

Look at traditional portrait drawing. I still grid out people's faces and bodies and stuff like that, despite being what I consider a reasonably good artist. I have to do the grid and understand how it works in connection with my art before I can draw the figure or face or whatever. The same holds true for graffiti.

Master those simples, start making slow changes over time and you will eventually begin to understand how the letters work with each other so you can develop your own style.

to be honest, i never thought of it like that, the whole "drawing the grid" thing...

that makes so much more sense. i mean, i'm new to graf, but deff not new to art.

i make grids and draw a light outline / sketch when i'm doing anything, not only faces...

thank you.

pee.ess. would it be considered cheating to use a ruler?

to be honest, i never thought of it like that, the whole "drawing the grid" thing...

that makes so much more sense. i mean, i'm new to graf, but deff not new to art.

i make grids and draw a light outline / sketch when i'm doing anything, not only faces...

thank you.

pee.ess. would it be considered cheating to use a ruler?

Yes it would. Sketches are outlines for what you do on walls and using a giant ruler would hardly be practical when painting and just plain stupid

I didn't mean use a grid for your letters but if it helps, by all means, do it.

What I was saying was that gridding out a face helps people draw portraits and it's a fundamental basic of drawing portraits.

Drawing simples is a fundamental basic of drawing graffiti, so look at it as a comparison.

E_B_A -- "Sketches are outlines for what you do on walls and using a giant ruler would hardly be practical when painting and just plain stupid..."

come on man. you know you have a big ass protractor that you use when you paint. maybe even a six foot tall compass? that's the new thing now, like sloppy ass krink tags. the vision that went into my head, when i read that post, was just too fucking funny. i just pictured some kid painting with a fucking 10 foot ruler, and two of his crew holding it.

by the way --can we change the name of this thread to "learning simples."