Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

http://distrowatch.com/

Or go there. There's a list on the side as well that has the top 100 Linux distros. They also provide news about any happenings in Linux distros in the main area there.

As far as the external HDD goes, I do believe most come with back-up/syncing software but if you wanted to do a copy & paste type deal, it's cool.

If you don't really care about the software, I might recommend buying an internal HDD and putting that thing into an external closure. You'll get more space (around 50 GB) for the same price but end up losing out on the back-up/sync software. I'm sure some of these 'heads would know where you can get freeware/open source software like that, though.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

PROJECT ALERT: I got a 300 gb external USB harddrive and i want to partition it to put on like 5 different linux on at the same time my problem is how to get it to boot i will need a boot manager and go fuck with my cmos settings and prolly some other crap its not gonna be easy as it sounds

oh, damn dude

i just saw some shit where a guy is booting 127 diff os's.

off one hd

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/artic...oot_laptop.html

not it ^

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../multiboot.mspx

also not it

http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/articles/linux/vm...ge-creation.php

making vmware images....not it, but cool

HERE!!!! http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread....threadid=143973

100+ LINUXESESESESESSSS

Originally posted by Mainter@Feb 15 2006, 02:03 PM

yeah i could do that too but i do not have 1 TB of data in internal harddrives just 300gb on an external

linux runs like pure shit on a VM

actually, i have to disagree. ubuntu runs very nicely on my computer.

maybe just because i'm cool, but i'd like to think it's not that at all.

some lesbians on the board would disagree....then again, they don't like penises. anyhow, yeah. ubuntu runs nicely.

Originally posted by lord_casek+Feb 15 2006, 01:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lord_casek - Feb 15 2006, 01:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mainter@Feb 15 2006, 02:03 PM

yeah i could do that too but i do not have 1 TB of data in internal harddrives just 300gb on an external

some lesbians on the board would disagree....then again, they don't like penises. anyhow, yeah. ubuntu runs nicely.

[/b]

you aint cool dont give your lame ass credit like that ;)

so you are running ubuntu on virtual machine without any problems? thats good how often do you mess with it or you just let it sit there and use it once in awhile?

is it Ok to install software on my x-drive? I have the software already on my computer, version 9.0 sp3, but I got this other software that only runs on the 9.0 sp1 version...so instead of unintsalling and reinstalling and losing the fixes from sp3, i want to just install the software on another drive so I have two versions...

Originally posted by Mainter+Feb 15 2006, 02:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mainter - Feb 15 2006, 02:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by lord_casek@Feb 15 2006, 01:07 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Mainter@Feb 15 2006, 02:03 PM

you aint cool dont give your lame ass credit like that ;)

so you are running ubuntu on virtual machine without any problems? thats good how often do you mess with it or you just let it sit there and use it once in awhile?

[/b]

i just uninstalled vmware player and deleted the ubuntu image yesterday.

i didn't use it much. just testing security with browsing using a vm

jonnhy b-bags....download this http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/emptycrust107RC.iso

burn to cd by right clicking and opening with your cd burning program (nero hopefully)

called puppy linux. very user friendly. sparo likes it

lonesome cowboy bill: sure. do whatever you want.

harvey: not familiar with mac software. sorry.

Originally posted by johnny ballbags@Feb 15 2006, 02:13 PM

one more question: how big of a job is it to swap proccesors between two machines? i just found a pc at work with a petium 4 3.0ghz w/hyperthreading and mine at home is pentium 4 2.5 w/o hyperthreading... if its not too crazy i might try to switch em up

It's just a matter of physically taking the old one out and replacing it, as long as your motherboard is compatible with a faster processor and supports hyperthreading. I'd go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and see if there's a compatibility list that has the processor you want on it.

ok... used record now... no nero... i have an external burner somewhere that uses nero... have to look for it... do i have to change the boot sequence and then just boot of the cd... is it gonna fuck up other shit with xp?

can i find my motherboard manufacturer through device manager?

its not as simple as the name on the shell of the pc, right?

Originally posted by johnny ballbags@Feb 15 2006, 04:54 PM

ok... used record now... no nero... i have an external burner somewhere that uses nero... have to look for it... do i have to change the boot sequence and then just boot of the cd... is it gonna fuck up other shit with xp?

can i find my motherboard manufacturer through device manager?

its not as simple as the name on the shell of the pc, right?

ok, first things first: yes, change the boot sequence. actually, you may not even have to. most computers now days ahve it set to boot from the cd rom automatically.

now: http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-132.zip download that and unzip it. run cpu z and that will tell you your mobo manufacturer plus some other important stuff about your computer. good to keep it around

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=539323

Winpooch is a watchdog for Windows that helps you increase the security of your computer.

Winpooch can prevent suspicious programs from doing dangerous actions such as writing to system directories or sensible registry keys.

It acts as a powerful anti spyware and anti trojans, and if you have ClamWin installed, you can tell Winpooch to scan every program before it runs.

This new release provide a cache for antivirus, this prevents from scanning the same file several times and thus increase the computer speed.

It also contains many bug fixes.

Originally posted by johnny ballbags@Feb 15 2006, 02:13 PM

so there are a whole bunch of different linux os's? wtf?

one more question: how big of a job is it to swap proccesors between two machines? i just found a pc at work with a petium 4 3.0ghz w/hyperthreading and mine at home is pentium 4 2.5 w/o hyperthreading... if its not too crazy i might try to switch em up

go right ahead it you will fry both computers and lose your job in the process

linux is an open source operating system people can download the kernal and tweak it whatever way you want.

Originally posted by Mainter@Feb 15 2006, 04:15 PM

How do you figure? As long as they're the same socket type and the motherboard can support the speed, he'll be fine. Even if it can't support the speed, it won't fry anything (or at least shouldn't)... it just won't boot up.

Originally posted by Herbivore+Feb 15 2006, 05:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herbivore - Feb 15 2006, 05:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mainter@Feb 15 2006, 04:15 PM

How do you figure? As long as they're the same socket type and the motherboard can support the speed, he'll be fine. Even if it can't support the speed, it won't fry anything (or at least shouldn't)... it just won't boot up.

[/b]

intel is the devil

Originally posted by lord_casek@Feb 15 2006, 04:24 PM

ballbags...you can just buy a new motherboard and processor.

get an epox board and an amd processor.

it was the idea of not havin to buy anything that got me interested in this whole thing... ive ended up moving ram around between work and home to my advantage a few times and i thought it might not be much harder than that... but i have other things in mind when it comes time to spend some $$...

Originally posted by Herbivore@Feb 15 2006, 05:43 PM

I dunno... when I bought my P4 3.0GHz processor and tried to put it into my old motherboard, it just made a constant beeping noise when I turned it on. I took it out and put my old processor back in and it worked fine.

usually what happens. i think mainter was referring to

'since he doesn't know how to replace a processor' type

situation.

good to have you frequenting the thread again, herbivore.

like a nerd reunion.

Originally posted by lord_casek+Feb 15 2006, 04:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lord_casek - Feb 15 2006, 04:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Herbivore@Feb 15 2006, 05:29 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Mainter@Feb 15 2006, 04:15 PM

intel is the devil

[/b]

im just saying with his computer knowledge he will fry them by ESD during work if he goes up to a computer opens it up and pulls out the processer shoves it in his pocket gets it dirty bends the pins so on................

casek posted while i was typing a response yes he is right on the money

Originally posted by mindvapors@Feb 15 2006, 05:49 PM

^^that happened to me once with RAM.

i had a nice motherboard that i tried swapping with this one only to end up having the monitor not show anything at all. it was really odd. i still have that motherboard too, just sitting around.

same here. i fried a stick of 128 meg pc2700 back in the day.

Originally posted by lord_casek+Feb 15 2006, 04:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lord_casek - Feb 15 2006, 04:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think mainter was referring to

'since he doesn't know how to replace a processor' type

situation.

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Mainter@Feb 15 2006, 04:48 PM

im just saying with his computer knowledge he will fry them by ESD during work if he goes up to a computer opens it up and pulls out the processer shoves it in his pocket gets it dirty bends the pins so on................

True... but yeah, johnny as long as you're careful you should be alright. Try to get one of those static proof bags that electronics usually come in to transport it.