Spray Paint

Guest SayOne

ohh nvm

they dont do it because once they start its not the big dot that drips..u just gotta move quick so that dont happen

but they spray out paint a lil bit b4 they start because they used the same cap that they used for a diff color and they dont want the colors to mix a lil right?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ay yo im gettin into spray paint now (i been more of a inkhead since i first started writing) i dont got any questions like how do you get paint out the can

but my only question is why do people always spray a lil paint out b4 they start doing a piece or throwup or wht eva?

is it so when u first start u dont get that big dot that drip? or wht is it?

jsut to make sure everything is working alright,

e.g. cap's not clogged or defective etcetc

i dunno if this is a little off topic but its the only thread i could think of postin this , well im just wonderin what are you good sites to order montana or pissibly belton.i live in canada so take that into account and i was wonderin if anybody has order paint off artprimo.com or illegalsupply.com or oinkartltd.com and how it was if you did. illegal supply seems to have really low prices so i wanna give that a try

so what is with this new female cap system on the new american accents!!! the paint seems like water with food dye in it. maybe its just the colors i got but seriously, has anyone used this shit??

NO shit?!

i picked up some of that sour apple, and aqua the other day, i love the colors, but yeah, what the hell is with the female caps? i got some nice thin lines from it anyway, but yeash its not the thickest shit ever, i wanna try that new orange color, cause krylon and rusto normal orange blows donkeydick

"^^^the post up there by rivers... montana usually covers lots of stuff but not always wet chrome. there are a couple of colors that do, though. some of the colors (spanish brand) to look out for are

lake blue

machine green

black

anyway, this topic is kind of retarded. there are so many brands of spray paint, and the opacity of the colors vary in every one, people have different opinions and experiences. you get people talking out of their ass about this and that and not clarifying which brand. most people think one should find out everything by themselves like back in the day, and thats true...but this could also be alot more useful.

I was thinking about an amphibious regional spray paint thread with flicks and names of spraypaint brands from your area/country. like a shopping guide so you know what you're looking for if you visit europe from usa and vice versa etc. I'ma start this topic once I get around photographing the local paint we have here.

unless I've gotten carried away by the caffeine again and everyone thinks this is a bad idea???"

and, fresh from the oakland labs...is my take.

spray paint is almost impossible to rate or compare since there are so many variables, i.e., batch control, pressure (inside and outside of the can), temperature, surface used on, type of paint (flat? satin? gloss? semigloss?)...brands also have exceptions to the rule, as well- krylon ufb, for instance, redeems almost all their current product. if you were to truly rate a paint, you would have to go about it scientifically, and you and i are not gonna do that.

try this- kids, it may make for an interesting science report-

1. take five brands of paint, commonly available to writers

2. set up a control (let's just say, spray it at 68 degrees F, at sea level, with 30.00" of ambient barometric pressure. since internal can pressure is an uncontrollable variable, we'll leave it out. also, no cross wind, in full sunlight, and in as clean of an enviroment as possible to minimize dust, at a distance of 12" with a ny fat cap for two seconds. there, i did most of the work!)

3. spray three different surfaces (i'd say, wood, metal and stone/concrete/ brick) all primered with one coat of paint- of course, use the same primer.

4.observe behaviors of paint- does it drip a lot? does it holiday (bubble) or orange peel (crack)? does the advertised color compare w/ the actual wet/dry color? is it close? what is the elapsed time to contact dry (so you can apply another coat/outline)?

5. finally, weather test the paint by leaving it outside, exposed to the elements for one week. note- summer results will be different from winter results. observe and note any weathering effects (fading, peeling, chipping, color shift, etc.)

ok, ok....i'm sure i took all the fun out of this, but i would like to see scientific method applied to this just to see what will happen. i personally don't have the time since i am studying other things, however, i would be stoked if someone would do this and report the results. to sweeten the deal, i'll send the first person who actually goes through with this a little something from my collection- and i'll make it worth it, i promise.

however...

montana has good colors and decent pressure, but it's shitty paint- not weatherproof at all, especially on metal. hey, it's made in spain- it's nice there. the blues holiday like crazy and the tall cans clog tips. only seems to work well w/ montana tips. plus they pimp their product a little too hard for my taste. btw, their pens? good....when you put something else in them. they should stop fucking with the alien paint and make something that really works well under all conditions.

belton is somewhat better. nice color pallette, good pressure, but, still, $6 a can? it's worth $3- buy it in bulk. seems more consistent and works with more tips. a step up, and i respect them a little more for not trying to pigeonhole writers as a marketing group.

krylon- ultra flat black and terracotta are just about perfect. hoever, they don't atone for the rest of their sins. watery, spitty, and covers like saran wrap- clear as a bell. might be good on a clean, porous wall, and those are hard to come by. doesn't work well w/ most tips that i've used other than ny fats. who knows...

rusto- ahhh....now, here we go...nice pressure, covers the best, the colors look better on the wall than on the cap, and it's readily available. they don't go crazy w/the color selection, but most of it is tasteful and easily applicable to graff. and, a rusto fat on a rusto can is pure magic. and, they make 18 oz. cans! they get my vote.

and the unsung hero, OSH- i learned to paint w/ this, and it's still my no. 2 choice. anyone learning to paint- OSH has almost any color you could want, it's cheap, and entirely adequate. works with most caps, covers okay, drips a bit, but...i've seen people paint productions using nothing but OSH and they came off looking just fine. worth checking out.

good night.

You have a few things twisted, Osh paint is horrible, I have no idea how it can be "no. 2 choice" unless your broke. To start it off no tips work with it, and when you do find a tip that does work on the paint it sprays weird usually uneven and messy. Almost every Osh can I have had has exploded on me. If you want to avoid a headache stay away from Osh paint, drop an extra 75 cents and buy painters touch. Osh paint is the worst period! I have used it in the past and everyone I know has used it and the same results. Put it this way, if the paint coasts a dollar, its going to work like a dollar can.

The new rusto and any sister brand like painters touch and American accents are ok, they are not great and not all tips work with them but they do get the job done. I have painted with rustos and krylons a bunch of times, and it is good paint but I just believe that the earlier rustos and krylons were allot better, the companies are doing to much to mess with colors and trying to improve something they lost along time ago. One thing I notice is the older paint was allot thicker and and it “stuck” nowadays most of the new paint sucks.

If I were to paint with krylons or rustos I would be stuck paying allot more for earlier cans off eBay than a brand new can of Montana or Belton. What is strange is I actually know someone who does this. I cannot argue that one day krylons and Scotties were the shit, but those days are long gone.

The only good cheap paint that I have used was red devil, I don’t know if the company still exists but lately it’s been popping up in discount stores. That’s the only type of “cheap paint " but when initially made I remember it being expensive, I guess the lack of advertising and the competition from rustoleum and krylon has made it not as popular. Defiantly good paint if you’re on a budget.

At the end of the day, if you have money you will have the better stuff. It works that way with everything else in life. Montana’s and beltons will not make you a better writer but they will help you paint better. First off I have no idea where you got off to saying Montana’s fade?! Sure bro, whatever you say…

The only real difference between the two brands is colors and the pressure in the can. Montana’s are more for “graffiti” they spray faster, have more of the eye popping colors. On the other hand beltons are more for “art”, having a low pressure system can give you a huge advantage in details. The colors on the Belton line are more of a pastel type feel. It’s easier to cut lines, and just overall have control over what you are doing with the more expensive paint.

I haven’t used any other new paint like clash or sabotaz but I can only imagine that they are just as good. Most of the “ more complicated “ spray paint caps are specially made for montans and beltons, When it comes to cheap paint the only real tip that works is ny fat, actually with cheap paint the ny fats and thins come out the same way. It wasn’t until I actually started to paint with the more expensive brands that I started to notice allot of things. And if you do buy expensive paint buy it bulk, gather up 2 or 3 friends and each put in 100$ and find a website online that will do a wholesale deal, trust me it will come out to only 2.80-3.00$ a can and it will coast you the same as rustos or kylons. Just be smart and try everything out for yourself.

Oh yeah and when I talk about Montana’s I am referring to the hardcore from Spain.

You have a few things twisted, Osh paint is horrible, I have no idea how it can be "no. 2 choice" unless your broke. To start it off no tips work with it, and when you do find a tip that does work on the paint it sprays weird usually uneven and messy. Almost every Osh can I have had has exploded on me. If you want to avoid a headache stay away from Osh paint, drop an extra 75 cents and buy painters touch. Osh paint is the worst period! I have used it in the past and everyone I know has used it and the same results. Put it this way, if the paint coasts a dollar, its going to work like a dollar can.

The new rusto and any sister brand like painters touch and American accents are ok, they are not great and not all tips work with them but they do get the job done. I have painted with rustos and krylons a bunch of times, and it is good paint but I just believe that the earlier rustos and krylons were allot better, the companies are doing to much to mess with colors and trying to improve something they lost along time ago. One thing I notice is the older paint was allot thicker and and it “stuck” nowadays most of the new paint sucks.

If I were to paint with krylons or rustos I would be stuck paying allot more for earlier cans off eBay than a brand new can of Montana or Belton. What is strange is I actually know someone who does this. I cannot argue that one day krylons and Scotties were the shit, but those days are long gone.

The only good cheap paint that I have used was red devil, I don’t know if the company still exists but lately it’s been popping up in discount stores. That’s the only type of “cheap paint " but when initially made I remember it being expensive, I guess the lack of advertising and the competition from rustoleum and krylon has made it not as popular. Defiantly good paint if you’re on a budget.

At the end of the day, if you have money you will have the better stuff. It works that way with everything else in life. Montana’s and beltons will not make you a better writer but they will help you paint better. First off I have no idea where you got off to saying Montana’s fade?! Sure bro, whatever you say…

The only real difference between the two brands is colors and the pressure in the can. Montana’s are more for “graffiti” they spray faster, have more of the eye popping colors. On the other hand beltons are more for “art”, having a low pressure system can give you a huge advantage in details. The colors on the Belton line are more of a pastel type feel. It’s easier to cut lines, and just overall have control over what you are doing with the more expensive paint.

I haven’t used any other new paint like clash or sabotaz but I can only imagine that they are just as good. Most of the “ more complicated “ spray paint caps are specially made for montans and beltons, When it comes to cheap paint the only real tip that works is ny fat, actually with cheap paint the ny fats and thins come out the same way. It wasn’t until I actually started to paint with the more expensive brands that I started to notice allot of things. And if you do buy expensive paint buy it bulk, gather up 2 or 3 friends and each put in 100$ and find a website online that will do a wholesale deal, trust me it will come out to only 2.80-3.00$ a can and it will coast you the same as rustos or kylons. Just be smart and try everything out for yourself.

Oh yeah and when I talk about Montana’s I am referring to the hardcore from Spain.

See i have a different opinion to what u just said. In my eyes rusto stops rusts may be the best brand you can buy in US in a regular store and not a graff store. Some of the best rusto colors are harbor blue(stops rust), regal red(stops rust), sunburst yellow(stops rust), and orange(stops rust) are good colors. Many people think that sunburst yellow sucks but they are really wrong, the way to make that sunburst yellow good is to let the pressure out, i prefer to do this with a cap that has its dot/insert out of it. Or you can use a fat cap but it will take a little longer. With a pink dot i would say let out the pressure for around 35-45 seconds.

Molotow is very good, covers well and dries pretty fast. It takes a little to get used to if you only use like krylon and rusto but its still great. The colors for molotow are suuuper strong you just have to shake the F out of the can. I would first recommend shaking the can with the top side down for a minute and then switching to top side up shaking for a minute or two. The reason i do this is that the pigment (part that gives the paint color) settles to the bottom and like gels up (some people refer to this as caking) and is really hard to break up when you just shake it right side up. When you shake it top side down gravity works with you and the mixer balls hit the top with force rather than fall to the bottom, like when you shake top side down.

i really like duplicolor (its in the auto section usually) Its very consistent and suuuper opaque. The only problem with it is that its got that gay blue calligraphy tip on it and it cant really be used for and outline, but for strong fill colors its the bomb. This is the same maker as german montana for those who didnt know. German montana makes montana gold and montana black, and others like montana platinum.

Krylon ultra flat black is very nice. With a grey dot it is nice for them 3/4 of a centimeter line. Thats all i know about krylon. And dont even look at their yellow, youll thank me.

Spanish montana hardcore didnt work to well for me. I used pale green on a primed piece of cardboard where other colors appered well. i dont think i shook it up enough so im not gonna speak on it.

Montana alien was sweet. I used clandestine red and it was freakin strong and very drip resistant. Takes a little getting used to with the pressure system as noted above, but its great.

German Montana is wack, those guys are graffiti cheerleaders sponsoring some fagot as graffiti video game and putting it on the label of their can. They stole their idea from Montana from Spain, don’t support some biters protected by the law.

You most defiantly got a bad Montana can or like you said just didn’t shake it well enough. The only problem I have ever had with Montanans is when you paint with silver you need to wait for it to completely dry before you outline it.

Rusto and Krylon was the best paint you could have gotten before euro brands came out. Once the euro brands started to come out, krylon and rusto started adding a bunch of water to their paint and changing their appearance, I also noticed NY fats work better on the "older" paint.

The bottom line is, krylon and rusto used to be the best, but since they are a huge multi-billion dollar company they don’t care what writers think because they are the same ones against graffiti in the first place. They make their products according to whats “cheaper”, adding more water, thinner paint, higher pressure, some colors are cheaper to make than others, etc.

Believe me if krylon was still making icy grapes and jungle greens no one would even care about euro paint.

fuck osh paint!!!i was usin that shit and suddenly i noticed that all of my new glove was black. messy and shitty...it was one of those fabric gloves that are dipped in chemical resistant palstic and it got all over the fukin fabric...then i tried doin some flares and the shit splattered all over , i even got a fatass black spot on my forearm...

ha, fuck.

rusto barely fits any fucking caps.

krylon may be thinner but, it fits almost every cap and if youre useto using it. shit works like a dream.

montana does go on alot thicker, but i dont really care for ordering all my paint off the internet.belton is the best i think but again. im not gonna order all my shit off the internet.

Archived