Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

Every different kind of car has its advantages and disadvantages. Boxcars are hard to hit rolling if you have any gear whatsoever, even at walking speed. But when it's raining and cold and the wind is blowing freezing-ass sleet, I'll take a boxcar over any other ride excepting a unit ride.

It's not too difficult riding in nice warm weather. But inclement weather? You're going to need some cover and a nice dry place to lay down.

Boxcars are noisy, yes they are. WEAR EAR PLUGS. Steel floors are hard, but no harder than the steel floors on a grainer porch or the floor of some rusty, filthy gondola car. BRING SEVERAL LAYERS OF CARDBOARD OR SOME THOUSAND-MILER PAPER. And dirtyface coal cars? No thanks. You come out of one filthy dirty, looking like you've been spray-painted black. I'll ride a coal car if I have absolutely no other choice, but I sure don't prefer one. And if I do ride a coal car, I try to wear goggles of some kind to protect against all that fucking coal dust. On an empty coal car there's no place to lay down. The floor has a bunch of dump gates. Fuck that.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I like winter riding because it really thins out the green crowd. got into el pisso five days ago and haven't seen a rider yet, refreshing!

hell yes.

everyone is napping in tucson and nola and shitty ass florida.

hahah.

clutching their pillows while you get to experience the joy of a frozen solid gallon of water when you wake up in the morning. OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

real shit.

Oogle hunting season opener was on the 9th of October. They're filtering in faster than ever, flying on top of eachother on every corner, panhandling in the ghetto, beating eachother up on decatur.... its about that time where I cant even walk in the quarter without being harassed by the police because i wear carhartts. oh the joy.

Oogle hunting season opener was on the 9th of October. They're filtering in faster than ever, flying on top of eachother on every corner, panhandling in the ghetto, beating eachother up on decatur.... its about that time where I cant even walk in the quarter without being harassed by the police because i wear carhartts. oh the joy.

go rack you a suit son!

nothing better than a classy hobo.

Kabar I just wanted to stop in and thank you for this wonderful thread. Ive been reading through it for the last week or two and have just finished. Ive allways have been very interested in trains so this was a very fun read for me. I have a couple of questions i wanted to ask. Ive been thinking about doing this for awhile now so please forgive me if my questions are a little dumb.

From what ive gathered from here train rides can be very long. How does one take a dump on a moving train. Is there different techniques for different kinds of cars, or is it just a general technique.

My second question is which would be the better spot to catch out of schenectady or albany? if any one could give me some advice it'd be greatly appreciated. I have not idea where the rail yards are. i tried following the line with google earth from the amtrak station on erie blvd but i havent any luck.

my last question is, how often is it that one could expect to get pulled off of trains by a "bull" and in relation to that how often do they run you for warrants.

i know that sounds weird, but i wouldnt be the first hobo that was legally challenged.

Taking a dump...... the best way would be to use a 5 gallon bucket, but not having one of those, alot of people just layout some newspaper and go there and throw it out of the car.

in Albany the best location would be Selkirk yard, south of Albany on Rt9. If you don't know this, I'd advise you to study more about the railroads before you decide to hop out.

As to the bulls, You will get caught at some time or another, so be prepared.

I'll have ahile to research because ive lived up here for awhile. The winters are nothing to play with. so i wouldnt be catching out until april. As far as getting caught i know its inevatable and i've accepted my fate when i am caught. I just want some memories before i go do 14 months in prison. I've allways wanted to see New orleans. although i have no specific location or destination in mind. Im a big fan of urban exploration and theres a site im a member of that has sites in every state and almost every town. theres alot of stuff i want to see. i figure the day i get bored or just finished with this i'll simply turn myself in. then its the great state of new yorks problem of getting me home to a cell.

FOURTEEN MONTHS IN PRISON ? What? Lad, if you are out on bail or something, or waiting to go start a sentence in New York, I strongly, strongly urge you to not take off. You'd be a fugitive from justice, and that is a bad place to be, plus you would get more time for not showing up to do your bit. Being in jail is bad, but being in jail for interstate flight to avoid prosecution or incarceration is a hell of a lot worse.

I'm hoping this mention of 14 months in prison is just sort of a flippant remark.

People arrested hopping trains do not usually get much more than a few days in County. Occasionally, somebody who has been arrested before gets a month or two. The longest stretch I've heard of recently was when P. Dubya got six months up in Wisconsin, but he was arrested carrying a shotgun broken down in his gear.

I definately do not recommend carrying any firearms on board trains. It makes the authorities very nervous. If you carry a knife, MAKE SURE that it is a legal knife to possess in the state you are in. For instance, in Texas, where I live, people may carry a knife with a blade length of five-and-a-half-inches. My "Texas knife" is 5-3/8", well within the limit. But in Iowa, the legal allowable length is FIVE inches. If I'm going up there, I carry my "Iowa knife"--4-3/4" long.

In California, there is no legal limit on length, but you may not carry a knife with any part of it showing if the blade is longer than THREE inches. I guess you could carry a Bowie knife, as long as it's concealed and not a switchblade, balisong, gravity knife, etc. This is different than most states, where carrying a knife concealed is more the concern. In Texas as long as the knife is of legal length, you can wear it right out in the open. Can't take it near schools, courthouses, polling places or into saloons though.

There are a number of sources for trainhopping information. This thread is pretty informative, but probably the best source for trainhopping information would be "Hopping Freight Trains in America" by Duffy Littlejohn, and "The Professional Railroad Atlas of North America", published by DeskMap Systems, Inc. and if you can find one, the Crew Change Guide. I hear tell it's on the internet now (thanks to a certain shitbird yegg buddy-fucker who shall remain nameless.) So if you can find it, good for you.

I'm here to tell you that people would say that you are in some of the best trainhopping areas in the entire nation. I know people who run back and forth along the Great Lakes on CSX and Norfolk Southern like it was Amtrak, but one needs an experienced trainhopper to show one the ropes. Take plenty of bus fare with you, so you can get back home if you get stranded, and for pete sakes, do NOT trust the cops to get you home again. (Are you demented, son?) That statement makes me think you're in some kind of trouble with the law.

Like Flatcar already said, Selkirk Yards is the Albany catch out. One might go south of Albany by taking Hwy 9 down to Hwy 396. One could then turn west on Bridge Street by the Mini-mart. Selkirk yard is about a half mile northwest of the Hwy 396 overpass over the tracks. ONE OUGHT TO AVOID BEING SEEN BY THE TOWER. The westbound crew change is near the hump tower. (EVERYONE SHOULD AVOID THE HUMP TOWER AND MARSHALLING TRACKS--HUMPED CARS ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.) Most westbound departures are on tracks 9 through 11. One might go do ground reconnaissance in the daytime, then catch out at night. The yard is pretty hot, so people ought to be careful. Trainhoppers usually look for a blinking FRED on a train pointed the direction in which they wish to go.

In Schenectady, people say the catch out is Mohawk Yards. Both Canadian Pacific (CP) and GTI runs trains out of Mohawk. The yard is actually in the suburb of Scotia, northwest of downtown Schenectady, I think. One might find the intersection of Freeman's Bridge and Maple Avenue, near a Sunoco gas station, then go about five miles northeast on Maple, to the Animal Protection Foundation, and walk to one's right, into the south end of Mohawk. ONE MIGHT BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE RAILFANS WHO WILL RAT YOU OUT TO THE BULL, so one might want to be careful. One could probably take a camera and go down to the yard office to get a look around by pretending to be a foamer. Mohawk has trains eastbound to East Deerfield, MA and west to Albany and Buffalo.

Idiots walk around trespassing on railroad property in the daylight, get seen by worried railroad employees and wind up getting arrested. Intelligent people with a brain in their heads do not walk around like a dumb ass, freaking out every car knocker and switchman in town. Intelligent people do not get seen, heard or even smelled. Intelligent people do not even smoke cigarettes in the yard, because cigarette smoke can be smelled at quite a distance. And the glowing ash of a cigarette can be seen at night for hundreds of yards. BE DISCREET. HIDE. DO NOT BE SEEN, BY ANYBODY. Travel light. Wear dark clothing (no, not black, you are not a commando) try to be inconspicuous. (Purple hair? Pierced everything? Really? How discreet is that?) Always take at least a gallon of water, since you absolutely cannot know what is going to happen. You might be stuck somewhere for quite a while. Do not enter into anything that you cannot get back out of. Grain cars, for instance, have LOCKING TOP HATCHES and they get fumigated for insects. Bad idea.

• Like 1

("My Back Pages"--Dylan

"The Ballad of Easy Rider"--Byrds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6OhC-4Zyw&feature=list_related&a=GxdCwVVULXcrgTlUkK5pQmzsgRRHnRZA&list=ML&playnext=1

Written by Bob Dylan

Crimson flames tied through my ears

Rollin' high and mighty trapped

countless fire and flaming roads

Using ideas as my maps

"We'll meet on edges, soon," said I

Proud 'neath heated brow.

Ah, but I was so much older then,

I'm younger than that now.

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth

"Rip down all hate," I screamed

Lies that life is black and white

Spoke from my skull. I dreamed

Romantic facts of musketeers

Foundationed deep, somehow.

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand

At the mongrel dogs who teach

Fearing not I'd become my enemy

In the instant that I preached

sisters led by confusion boats

Mutiny from stern to bow.

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats

Too noble to neglect

Deceived me into thinking

I had something to protect

Good and bad, I define these terms

Quite clear, no doubt, somehow.

(Wasn't Born To Follow--Byrds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWhgLjim6Rc&feature=related

Written by Carol King and Gerry Goffin

Oh I'd rather go and journey

Where the diamond crescent's glowing and

Run across the valley

Beneath the sacred mountain

And Wander through the forest

Where the trees have leaves of prisms

And break the light in colors

That no-one knows the names of

And when it's time I'll go and wait

Beside a legendary fountain

Till I see your form reflected

In its clear and jeweled waters

And if you think I'm ready

You may lead me to the chasm

Where the rivers of our vision

Flow into one another

I will watch her dive beneath

The white cascading waters

She may beg she may plead

She may argue with her logic

And then mention all the things I'll lose

That really have no value

In the end she will surely know

I wasn't born to follow

(Eight Miles High--Byrds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH6UnvSlahc&feature=related

Eight miles high and when you touch down

You'll find that it's stranger than known

Signs in the street that say where you're going

Are somewhere just being their own

Nowhere is there warmth to be found

among those afraid of losing their ground

Rain gray town known for its sound

In places small faces unbound

Round the squares huddled in storms

Some laughing some just shapeless forms

Sidewalk scenes and black limousines

Some living some standing alone

(The Christian Life--Byrds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBAz7iwPPdg&feature=fvw

Written by Louvin/Louvin

My buddies tell me that I should've waited

They say I'm missing a whole world of fun

But I still love them and I sing with pride

I like the Christian life

I won't lose a friend by heeding God's call

For what is a friend who'd want you to fall

Others find pleasure in things I despise

My buddies shun me since I turned to Jesus

They say I'm missing a whole world of fun

I live without them and walk in the light

I won't lose a friend by heeding God's call

For what is a friend who'd want you to fall

Others find pleasure in things I despise

MARIJUANA MUSIC

Boys, I spent many an wacked-out adolescent night cruising all over Houston in a 1967 Pontiac Le Mans full of friends and pot smoke to the loaded-out sounds of Country Joe and the Fish. I get the munchies just thinking about it. But you know what they say--Just Say No. You might end up just a wasted youth. A couple of years after this era I hopped my first train.

"Porpoise Mouth"

"Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4WeqP2G6pI&feature=related

"Superbird"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgkKOAWw9Ys&feature=related

"Grace"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0SIAR9TRxk&feature=related

I got popped for felony attempted assault(It was a bar fight and he pulled a knife on me first) im on probation and i live in a very small town. Im just keeping a exit strategy. If i think im going to get violated im gonna go on a trip cross country. Ive done time before, but you start to go a little crazy. They've been really cracking down lately because of smuggling and the state commisioner having to get involved to clean up the jail. It's not even jail though its prison im going to be doing if i run. i guess the reason i brought it up is to make it clear to people im not really all that worried about a misdemeanor charge of tresspass or something. I dont drink anymore or do drugs so i guess i have that going as an advantage out on the road. honestly i just want to make some memories to hold me through. thanks for the advice kabar i appreciate it.

In Schenectady, people say the catch out is Mohawk Yards. Both Canadian Pacific (CP) and GTI runs trains out of Mohawk. The yard is actually in the suburb of Scotia, northwest of downtown Schenectady, I think. One might find the intersection of Freeman's Bridge and Maple Avenue, near a Sunoco gas station, then go about five miles northeast on Maple, to the Animal Protection Foundation, and walk to one's right, into the south end of Mohawk. ONE MIGHT BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE RAILFANS WHO WILL RAT YOU OUT TO THE BULL, so one might want to be careful. One could probably take a camera and go down to the yard office to get a look around by pretending to be a foamer. Mohawk has trains eastbound to East Deerfield, MA and west to Albany and Buffalo.

[/i]

Not to be a stickler, but it's a "Stewarts" convenience store, and it's less than half a mile to the animal shelter where the throat of the yard is, nowhere close to five.

I like Schenectady, and I like this spot, so please DON"T FUCK IT UP! The people are super nice there, I've only ever met laid back rail fans, and it's really dead dead dead in that yard most of the time. Last time I was there, GTI was all running with NS power in the consists, so don't get confused, I think NS has actually merged GTI. If they have, it's all good because that line through to Portland Maine is still running roughly the same schedule, just different identity.

I highly advise against walking into the south end of that yard if you're trying to get to Binghampton or points west, there are much better options available. PM me for info.

KaBars right though, Selkirk is not to be taken lightly, I went to jail there back in June of 09, no warning, nothing, straight to jail. And it is very, VERY, busy. On the plus side, there's junk heading just about everywhere in the northeast and midwest there as well.

I was looking at the cp route map and it seems like it would very easy to accidently end up in canada if im not carefull. but then again the route going south on one of its merger rails leads eventually right to new orleans its apears right were i want to go. if it was warm enough when i left though i wouldnt be opposed to simiply go were the rails take me and make the rest up on the ole shoe leather express.

I was looking at the cp route map and it seems like it would very easy to accidently end up in canada if im not carefull. but then again the route going south on one of its merger rails leads eventually right to new orleans its apears right were i want to go. if it was warm enough when i left though i wouldnt be opposed to simiply go were the rails take me and make the rest up on the ole shoe leather express.

i think you mean CN. they have a yard in nola.

Heh, oldtimers talking about GTI. Guilford changed their name to Pan Am Railways (PAR) a couple years back. Then more recently they partnered with NS to create an entity called Pan Am Southern (PAS) which now encompasses the western half of PAR (ex-GTI) territory (Mohawk to Ayer, Mass.). I don't know what effect the merger/partnership has had on Albany area traffic, although I imagine it would get busier (or else why would NS invest in the place).

And dirtyface coal cars? No thanks. You come out of one filthy dirty, looking like you've been spray-painted black. I'll ride a coal car if I have absolutely no other choice, but I sure don't prefer one. And if I do ride a coal car, I try to wear goggles of some kind to protect against all that fucking coal dust. On an empty coal car there's no place to lay down. The floor has a bunch of dump gates. Fuck that.

I agree, awful rides. This summer i vowed never to ride one again. Dirty as fuck and no view.

Well... new here. Name is Joe. If anyone ever rides through Iowa City on the IAIS, leave something for me to read on the Dodge St. bridge.