Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah i got postponed till thursday. fucking dramaqueen girl whos going with. supposedly if i wait till thursday she will buy me a nice backpack so it might be worth it.

probly gonna go to monroe la instead, i heard the cops in nola are being fucking dicks this year cus of the stabbings last year.

il just be passing through atlanta.

where north? i was in nyc for a bit

I've heard both those bands and used to live at the house in Hartford where they played often but I can't think of the members off the top of my head. And yeah I went to the occupation, but that was wheen it first started. I also went to occupy Asheville, Nashville, and a few others around the country that were just starting.

yeah i had a friend beat me there and he called me saying the cops were arresting anyone who looked remotley like a traveller. so instead im stuck in memphis till the 20th. the occupation here is depressing, and ive had so many god damn people ask me for change that i think il give up spanging forever. but not flying a sign... theres good money to be made in olive branch, about a 2 hour walk from the bnsf yard down 78.

anyone know anyone in memphis???

• 2 weeks later...

A small RJ Corman yard somewhere out here in PA. Me and buddy found him heating a spoon, under a bridge you have to go under to get the yard. The dude turned out to be chill (prob cause he got his fix), but hooked us up on some tips with getting into the yard, the hours the workers are there, how to get in when it's raining, and hooked us up with some mini chocolate chip cookies!

6269685725_62775139cf.jpg

Some Dude... by Snifyson, on Flickr

Just because some are helpful, donesn't mean they'll all help you out. Whether you're benching, searching, or just chillen, always bring a weapon along (unless you're good with your hands!).

• Like 1

I was down at Wal-Mart sending off my weekly monetary tribute to Chinese millionaire industrialists when I stumbled across a couple of pallets of cases of cheap-o California wines from Oak Leaf vineyards. $2.77 fpr 750 mL. So I stocked up and I'm swimming in the stuff--cabernet sauvignon, white zinfandel, pinot grigio, and some kind of rose.

The weekend promises to be kind of a blur, hahahah.

I scanned this post super quick and I swear I thought it was one of those Chinese spambot gibberish wow gold things for a minute.

Yah we were running around yesterday in the city and this bum was walkin past me and 2 homies and we were all like "Yo how ya doin" but as he was walkin past I went to snatch my marker out of my side pocket in my backpack to hit this window and the dude immediately reached in his pocket and whirled around at me and said like "What?!" And I was just like noo dude no harm here... and he kept walking. Shit was scary for real

Is it common to pay to stay in a homeless shelter in America? or is it just certain places? I've stayed in numerous homeless shelters all over Canada and I've never had to pay anything.

MEMPHIS OR DIE IF YOUR READING THIS I GOT YOUR MAGAZINE THANKS ALOT , ITS AWESOME. I COULDN'T FIND YOUR USERNAME IN THE MEMBERS LIST TO PROPERLY THANK YOU.

Memphis is one of the few if not only large city in the U.S. without a free shelter. This town is run by a bunch of goddamn retards.

If anybody comes through memphis let me know. I can help out with transportation,temporary work oppurtunitys etc. This city gets a bad rap in This thread. Fuck, it gets a bad rap everywhere.

Acer910 your my favorite bum. Say something nice about my grimey shithole town or imma fight you.

Michael glad you got it. Hope all is well in your fair country.

Memphis is one of the few if not only large city in the U.S. without a free shelter. This town is run by a bunch of goddamn retards.

If anybody comes through memphis let me know. I can help out with transportation,temporary work oppurtunitys etc. This city gets a bad rap in This thread. Fuck, it gets a bad rap everywhere.

Acer910 your my favorite bum. Say something nice about my grimey shithole town or imma fight you.

Michael glad you got it. Hope all is well in your fair country.

Go on Mapquest, go to Oakland, find a railyard, then start backtracking south along the lines to find out where they go heading south towards LA. With a little luck, you'll figure out where they're going. Go to that railyard in LA, and being careful as fuck, ask around to find out what train is heading to Oakland. Then get on that train while it's standing. Make sure the plug-door handle is screwed down tight so the open doors cannot move. HIDE. Do not make noise, do not smoke, do not streak anything, just wait silently. Eventually the train will pull and you'll get a ride somewhere north, hopefully to Oakland.

If you don't wind up in Oakland, you will have learned a valuable lesson or two. Do the same thing again. Being careful as fuck, ask around to see what train is going to Oakland.

If you have read this thread thoroughly, you should have enough basic information to avoid getting killed trying to catch out. BE CAREFUL. Do not take unnecessary risks.

Travel light. Take warm, dark-colored durable clothes (NOT BLACK--you aren't a commando), a hat, a coat, a pair of leather gloves, good outdoor boots with a pronounced heel. Take at least one gallon of water. Take some foods that do not require cooking, like trail mix or beef jerky or canned spaghettios and pork and beans. Take cans that do not require a can opener. If they do require a can opener, get a P-38 military can opener--they're small and can fit on a dog-tag chain. Take extra socks, and a toothbrush and extra underwear/ t-shirts. Take a roll or two of toilet paper. Take enough cash to get home if you get stranded. Take a legal pocketknife. Take an inexpensive sleeping bag or a blanket bindle.

But mainly, more than anything else, TAKE YOUR COMMON SENSE WITH YOU. Think before you act. THINK BEFORE YOU ACT.

You would be a LOT better off travelling with an experienced trainhopper who knows what he/she is doing, but it is possible even for a green-as-grass newbie to successfully catch out as long as you use your head.

DO. NOT. TRY. TO. CATCH. MOVING. TRAINS.

Good luck.

Without knowing the specifics, I'm going out on a limb and saying Darwin Awards are in order. My very 1st hop was in a coal car and when it started pulling into the TVA, I bailed he second the train stopped. Not from fear of providing heat and electricity by becoming a part of the pile but from not wanting to get busted. I feel for them and their family but ...really? They were that unaware of their surroundings?

• Like 1

Riding on loaded coal gondolas, or unloaded coal gondolas is a very bad idea, and I've told people before on here that they shouldn't do it. Empty revenue gons are okay (but usually dirty as hell) but coal gons are dangerous because of the dump gates on the bottom. There was no flat floor on any of the gons I rode as a youngster. The floor was just a series of steep "Vees" with dump gates at the lowest point.

The other bad thing is the way they are loaded. The coal train slowly passes under a a drop chute and the coal is dropped into the gon with a thunderous roar, filling the entire car in just a few seconds. When the car is unloaded, they open the dump gates on the bottom and the coal flows out very rapidly. Either situation is potentially fatal for anybody in the gon. I cannot imagine sleeping through either operation--loading or unloading-- so I'm thinking maybe they were passed out drunk or stoned on something and were unconcious when the empty gon was abruptly loaded with coal.

I did catch a ride in an empty coal gondola to a coal mine in ignorance once, in Colestrip, Montana. A group of MoW gandy dancers shouted at me and this other kid "Get off the train! It's going to the mine to get loaded!" The train was moving pretty slowly, so we dropped our rucks and bindles and detrained on the roll. We walked back to the MoW crew and asked where we were and they just shook their heads like "Kids. God must look out for fools and children." Then the lead man said, "You're in Colestrip, Montana, boy." We walked through town, there was maybe twenty mobile homes and a school with a 7-11 in the basement. When we got to the school, the sheriff was there shooting the breeze with a rancher and the woman who was working at the counter. He asked us where we were from, and we told him. We were black with coal dust, we looked like a couple of extras from a vaudeville minstrel show. "Came in on a coal train, eh?" The sheriff and the rancher had a good laugh at our expense. Then he asked the rancher to give us a ride back to town, where we started from and he did. We rode in the back of his pickup truck.

When we got back to the jungle, Rufe was pissed off at me (he had shouted "Don't catch that train!" but I did anyway) and a couple of the older guys were giving me shit for being so dumb. Rufe told me to go wash up in the faucet at the yard shack, and while I was gone he rolled up his gear and we moved our camp to the edge of the yard. I was grateful, because I was pretty embarrassed about riding out to Colestrip and getting rescued by the sheriff, and I didn't like getting razzed by the older tramps.

It wasn't all that dangerous, really. I guess one of the dump gates could have opened, but we were careful to stay off of them. But if it had been at night, and we had been asleep, I could see that we would have been killed if we were in the car when they loaded it.

Coal cars are a shitty ride anyway. They're dirty, there's no safe place to ride, and if they are loaded, coal dust blows all over everything. Don't ride 'em.